reminder -check your fuel hose

steveo3002

fitted all new suposedly correct spec rubber fuel hose to the polo 2 years ago , its traveled less than 1000 miles and the hose is cracked to the point of failing already

do yourself a favour and have a check round yours for cracks , seems whatever is being sold is fake /total shite  , could have easily been a fire 

2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

fitted all new suposedly correct spec rubber fuel hose to the polo 2 years ago , its traveled less than 1000 miles and the hose is cracked to the point of failing already

do yourself a favour and have a check round yours for cracks , seems whatever is being sold is fake /total shite  , could have easily been a fire 

as @Zelandeth found out, the stuff you get off the shelf these days is complete garbage this is why I have some marina grade stuff lined up for the Invacar, should hopefully be fit and forget!

Same issue on the 635. Replaced the hose from the injector rail to the cold start valve with injector hose from Halfords. At traffic lights a month later I got a strong wiff of fuel. Checked the hose and it had cracked to the point where it was worse than the one I originally swapped out.

A neighbour who works with landscaping gave me a length of hose he uses which is so far 5 months on, perfect.

23 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

as @Zelandeth found out, the stuff you get off the shelf these days is complete garbage this is why I have some marina grade stuff lined up for the Invacar, should hopefully be fit and forget!

Didn't think BL went the extra mile with their fuel hose?

But yeah, ethanol is evil to old style rubber. We've had it in the fuel here for a long time and the way it turned the original hose in the Renault to black sticky mastic/plasticine was impressive. Even the new "ethanol spec" hose I bought that was in the vapor in the tank ended up turning to soft dildo rubber and splitting wide open.

Phil

6 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Didn't think BL went the extra mile with their fuel hose?

LOL! I was going to say Freudian slip

6 minutes ago, PhilA said:

to soft dildo rubber and splitting wide open.

but erm I think you have me beat? LOL

(unless you did that on purpose or that word means something else that im not aware of!)

This one is at least 6 years old and has been replaced this week with pipe claiming to be ethanol resistant. The worry is 4 years ago on advice I had the pipes in the carburettor plenum box changed and now feel the need to check them. The car is our Maserati Biturbo, its carburettor lives in a pressurised aluminium box fed by the turbos.

IMG_20190815_200755 broad.jpg

13 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

LOL! I was going to say Freudian slip

but erm I think you have me beat? LOL

(unless you did that on purpose or that word means something else that im not aware of!)

Nope, that's the texture the new "ethanol spec" hose went to. Soft and squidgy.

Phil

I have wondered given the appalling state of fuel hose from halfords and the such like, especially given the safety concerns involved, 

do they not have some sort of safety/quality standard they have to adhere to?

I wonder how liable Halfords would be for example if it was found that failed fuel hose from their shop caused an accident/injury/death or such

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

do they not have some sort of safety/quality standard they have to adhere to?

Hi, Yes it should be SAE30 R10.  Get it from reputable dealers  and  good makes like Cohline.  A lot of the stuff on ebay is dodgy even though it's marked up as such.  One good supplier is -

http://ajlelectronics.co.uk/epages/832315.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/832315/Categories/Classic_Microcars/Fuel_hoses

Colin

Only going to get worse given that all pump fuel now has a minimum 5% ethanol content in as of a couple of months ago.  V-Power used to be safe...but no longer.

The last couple of hoses I got from Halfords had the SAE marking but no sign of a manufacturer name or anything like that - so proving where it came from would be challenging.

A1 Marine grade hoses (ISO 7840) are your friend.  Made for a far harsher environment than a car engine bay and one where their reliability is even more safety critical, they're resistant to just about everything short of direct nuclear assault.

I found that the hose I got was far easier to work with too, much more amenable to being routed tidily than the Halfords stuff which kept trying to kink whenever presented with a corner.

Good quality hose clamps and appropriate grease for them are important too.

15 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Will be keeping a closer look at mine, can only see a small part, I take it will be along the underside and to the engine all rubber? or likely metal in parts?

You'll need to check or look up a fuel system diagram.

At that age it's quite likely that there's an in tank pump and either plastic or metal lines from there to the fuel pressure regulator under the bonnet.  I'm assuming that the Micra in your signature is the car in question and that it has fuel injection...

The issue is biggest for carb fed cars which don't tend to have preformed lines like that to the same extent.

However while your main fuel supply line is probably fine - the return line (if present) may feature normal off the shelf hose, and there will no doubt be a load of vacuum lines etc under the bonnet.  While they're less of a safety critical part, issues there can still cause all manner of running issues.

While it's less commonly an issue, the worries do extend to fuel injected cars... there's no guarantee that the rubber used for seals in the injection system - or in fact the plastic the tanks are often made of - are ethanol safe...and it's not hard to see a situation where once the injection system starts to disintegrate from the inside out where it could write a car off.

Guess we're just going to have to wait and see if that actually turns out to be an issue...

I know one area where it can *definitely* be an issue is that the ethanol can dissolve certain contaminants in the system than the petrol itself, on an older car this can result in a fair chunk of the deposits which have accumulated over time in older systems, normally sitting harmlessly and never likely to move, to be flushed out.  Winding up either clogging up your carb jets or fuel injectors. 

Something I've noticed while out walking the dog is that since the changeover, you seem to be able to smell one of our local BP stations from a lot further away than you could before.  I noticed that change about a week before filling up and clocking the appearance of the E10 label on the pumps when I filled up.