Shitefest International 3-5 July 2020 France Postponed

Saabnut

looking at places to stay there are chambres dhotes in the village where the hotel de france is and near marcon theres a campsite also a campsite on the road to bellevue which isnt far away

put the village into booking.com and all the places are 100+ cos of the dates :(

even miles from the circuit

Cor, this sounds ace! I remember Sir Saabnut speaking about his French estates at the last shitefest, sounded awesome back then.

I wonder how much petrol the Hearse can guzzle on this trip? Or will I have the BX GT sorted by then?

Also, there's a concert I would stab a bitch to attend in Versaille on the 3rd, dates never line up that nicely! I think I just had a trouser moment ?

1.  Saabnut
  2. Inspecteur Morose
  3. Northern Monkey
  4. Monsieur Le Hairnet
  5. Bangernomics
  6. Chodweaver
  7. davidfowler2000
  8. chaseracer
  9. Heidel Kakao
  10. HMC
  11. mat_le_chat
  12. cms206
  13. MrSchwifty
  14. Skizzer
  15. MrDuke
  16. Frogchod
  17. Tomtation and probably OH

The concert is two countertenors singing works by Luigi Rossi. in the Versaille Palace royal opera house. I love renaissance opera music and one of the two countertenors performing is my absolute favourite - Philippe Jaroussky. It is not cheap, at all, but I have suggested it'd make a very good present for my birthday this year that the OH missed ?

Sounds like we're amking a holiday out of it, a trip to Saumur to topup on bubbly (if we don't get hooked on the local stuff that Saabnut was telling me about at SF19) and a good ol' mooch, dust the parler off etc.

We tend to like the Saumur wines as well, and somewhere to try if you like white is Vouvray.

http://www.cavedevouvray.com/en/editorial/8/20/tasting

I usually feel a bit under pressure to buy if I just rock up to taste wines, but this you pay a few Euros for a tour of the cellars and the bottling factory, then a tasting at the end. As you've paid you don't feel bad if you taste and don't buy, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do :-)

Saumur do a mean wine festival, 3EUR for a glass and a hundred vintners wines to taste for free! All alongside the river loire with a pretty french town/city as a backdrop. Weather is usually good in the first week of September too, when they hold it.

But Saumur is almost all pedestrianised now Matt, our friends went this year and it was quite a shock. Like the Saumur whites, love the bubbly but not so keen on the reds of the region. We usually do end up buying something when we go tasting tbf...

15 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

We tend to like the Saumur wines as well, and somewhere to try if you like white is Vouvray.

http://www.cavedevouvray.com/en/editorial/8/20/tasting

I usually feel a bit under pressure to buy if I just rock up to taste wines, but this you pay a few Euros for a tour of the cellars and the bottling factory, then a tasting at the end. As you've paid you don't feel bad if you taste and don't buy, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do :-)

I love Vouvray, I have a few of  Daniel Jarry's  bottles from 1985 and 1988 and 1991 left. He's just up the road from the cave cooperative.

1.  Saabnut
  2. Inspecteur Morose
  3. Northern Monkey
  4. Monsieur Le Hairnet
  5. Bangernomics
  6. Chodweaver
  7. davidfowler2000
  8. chaseracer
  9. Heidel Kakao
  10. HMC
  11. mat_le_chat
  12. cms206
  13. MrSchwifty
  14. Skizzer
  15. MrDuke
  16. Frogchod
  18. JohnK

10 hours ago, JohnK said:
  1.  Saabnut
  2. Inspecteur Morose
  3. Northern Monkey
  4. Monsieur Le Hairnet
  5. Bangernomics
  6. Chodweaver
  7. davidfowler2000
  8. chaseracer
  9. Heidel Kakao
  10. HMC
  11. mat_le_chat
  12. cms206
  13. MrSchwifty
  14. Skizzer
  15. MrDuke
  16. Frogchod
  18. JohnK
  19. Tul66

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 10:50 AM, JohnK said:
  1.  Saabnut
  2. Inspecteur Morose
  3. Northern Monkey
  4. Monsieur Le Hairnet
  5. Bangernomics
  6. Chodweaver
  7. davidfowler2000
  8. chaseracer
  9. Heidel Kakao
  10. Out
  11. mat_le_chat
  12. cms206
  13. MrSchwifty
  14. Skizzer
  15. MrDuke
  16. Frogchod
  18. JohnK

Edited to show I’m not able to make it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok then, vehicle purchased, ferry booked and itinerary planning in-session.

It's looking like we'll be down late Friday evening, mooching about Saturday (drinking involved), Le Mans for lunch Sunday and then off to Saumur for a couple of days to top up on bubbly.

The Hearse isn't/won't be ready and the Venga has been replaced this weekend with our steed of choice, the Lexus RX 400h. Not shite but damn fecking capable wafting.

Looking forward to this!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 2:27 PM, Heidel_Kakao said:

Just booked the Eurotunnel and three nights hotel stay in Amsterdam :)

Starting to regret this now with the whole Covid-19 situation. Hotel and Eurotunnel booking is none refundable but if the borders are closed I will hopefully be able to postpone or get a refund for the Eurotunnel.

From what I have been reading July is likely to be the peak of it :(

https://www.lemans.org/en/news/coronavirus-update/53502

No Le Mans events have been cancelled yet but is it just a matter of time?

46 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Starting to regret this now with the whole Covid-19 situation. Hotel and Eurotunnel booking is none refundable but if the borders are closed I will hopefully be able to postpone or get a refund for the Eurotunnel.

From what I have been reading July is likely to be the peak of it :(

https://www.lemans.org/en/news/coronavirus-update/53502

No Le Mans events have been cancelled yet but is it just a matter of time?

I've been getting increasingly anxious and grumpy about the whle situation too, we've booked and planned a little holiday around shitefest internationale. Got everything crossed that all will be well by then!

Having returned from France today (landed in the UK at 11:30am) having had a 12 hour journey and 2 flights (Lyon to Toulouse then Toulouse to Stansted) and having lost out on the skiing holiday me and friends had had booked for months after finally managing to arrange one where we were all available (it took us 4 years since the last) - I can categorically say that travelling to France is currently shite! 

However. A lot can happen yet in the months up to July. Things might have rapidly improved by then and all will be hunky dory! 

Unfortunately at the moment all I can say is "who knows what will happen". As of today, France is on lockdown with going out for only a few reasons (food shopping, medication shopping, looking after children or other vulnerable people etc) allowed, and then only with a signed certificate and ID. This is for the next 15 days. Travel restrictions are in place for 30 days. Both can be extended. The ACO (Automobile Club Ouest) who organise both the 24 hours and the Classic have said that they will make a statement about LM24 on the 15th April. It is widely expected to be postponed until Sept at the earliest. The Classic is scheduled for 2 weeks after the 24 hour, and my feeling is it will either be cancelled, or less likely, held the weekend before or after the 24hr with the hope people will stay in the area for a week spending money!

If anyone can get a refund/reschedule after announcements are made, I would. HOWEVER, for those that cannot change, rather than write off the bookings, subject to travel restrictions being lifted, and assuming I can still get time off work (I cannot afford to lose anymore than essential as I am already many £k down, I plan on going to my place in Lemans that weekend anyway, even if there is no racing. Still lots to see and do in the area, and anybody is welcome to join me.

I will update this thread as anything comes to light, hopefully we can salvage something!

Sadly, and as expected, the ACO have postponed the 2020 event until 2021. The new dates are from the 1st to the 4th July 2021.

So, dates for your diary, the first confirmed* AS event of 2021. I will almost certainly be there for it so it will still be a thing, just a year later. For anyone who has booked travel/accommodation for this year, if you still want to join us you can either reschedule or I guess if you want to cancel there should not be a problem doing so.

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Sadly not! I am only at home for a short while before going back to work and I am supposed to be self isolating whilst here.  Soon, though I hope!

france is open from monday

unless youre spanish or uk - even then its only certain countries being allowed - then theres further countries allowed movement 1 july

oh well