Bosch diesel resistor cheat mod

lanciamatt

Not sure if anyone or everyone knows about this, but there is a really cheap mod you can do to bosch 1.3.1 diesel management. This system is fitted to quite alot of cars like land-rover 300tdi, vw golf, rover 220td, to list just a few. Its also fitted to my lancia thema turbo ds,. Basically you fit a 1kohm variable resistor into 2 wires going to the fuel pump. (on 300tdi it's pin 6+7). I finished this today and the results are remarkable, more power better response, obviously you can go overkill and cause damage. But if you set it sensibly all will be fine. 

Not sure about colder, unless I've read it wrong, think it's tricks the ecu into thinking it's delivering less fuel, so it opens the injectors for longer,thus more fuel enters cylinder,so more power. It works better than just increasing boost for instance on a petrol turbo, as this can cause lean running a melt a piston. Diesels don't generally have throttle body's, so if you increase fuel you naturally increase air intake too. And the waist gate still opens as normal 

Another way of achieving this or similar is the 'hammer mod' used quite heavily on be circles. Slacken the bolts on the upper part of the injection pump and 'hammer' or in reality tap the upper part of the pump a tiny amount to up the IQ or injection quantity. Higher IQ  = more power, but if you over do it, it'll run like shit, or make the pump leak.

Bodgery IMO, nothing wrong with it as such but why bother using x% more fuel everywhere when remapping is accessible and not even much more expensive on most of these lumps?

The resistor goes across the fuel temp sensor, there is a correction for fuel density vs temperature so if you trick it into thinking the fuel is hot it lobs more in (at all times) to compensate.

Remapping on these age cars involves stripping ecu and removing chip and getting it updated, then resoldering back in. Probably better results, but resistor cost 2 quid. People wire in a switch so it can be turned back to stock. I'm going to hay on wye tomorrow in it so shall get a clearer inclin on what if any difference it's made to the MPG. 

2 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

How does the ECU open the injectors for longer? The injectors are mechanical.

If you increase the amount of fuel injected through an injector, the duration it takes to inject the fuel is longer, or the amount of time the injector is open, this is ok to a certain extent but at the extremes you get high egt's and black smoke.