Jaaaaag Question. X300 vs X308, suspension, diffs and all that stuff

DaveDorson

So the Jag XJ40 and the X300 share a lot of suspension and brakes stuff, the whole lot being removable on lovely cages and subframes, which I guess is why they're so popular in the hotrod and Kit Car world.

Is the 308 more of the same?, I've never really looked under them, so don't know what ratio diffs they use, if the brakes are different, if parts are interchangeable etc?

18 hours ago, Broadsword said:

The X308 front end is mildly modified compared to earlier models. The main difference is with the wheel bearings. On XJ40/X300s you have a serviceable bearing which can be adjusted and regressed easily. X308s are all sealed up.

Is the geometry different?  I'm looking at the cheapest way into a single donor kit vehicle at the moment using Jag Axles.

Right, stick my neck out here. Feel free to shoot me down in flames.

The best doner is the one suggested/normally used, by the supplier of the kit.

They may give you options, but do not take an option without seeing a finished, roadworthy example of that model.

No matter what you build, there is no way the finished article will be cheap.

Try to pick a supplier who will still be producing vehicles when your kit is finished.  Not sure how to do that though?

Everything takes twice as long as it should. You need ability, time, space, and cash.

It's all changed since I was doing it, but there are hoops to jump which can involve donor parts.

Not trying to put you off, you may be Colin Chapman's grandson for all I know.

Just be aware it's a big commitment over a long period.

If it's a Cobra, ignore all the above.

Or buy one ready built (this is not for sale)

2125789823_WP_20161105_14_18_56_Pro(1).thumb.jpg.6137fd08e7d8e88eb7c18dae381b1fac.jpg

On 10/2/2019 at 6:40 PM, Mally said:

Right, stick my neck out here. Feel free to shoot me down in flames.

The best doner is the one suggested/normally used, by the supplier of the kit.

They may give you options, but do not take an option without seeing a finished, roadworthy example of that model.

No matter what you build, there is no way the finished article will be cheap.

Try to pick a supplier who will still be producing vehicles when your kit is finished.  Not sure how to do that though?

Everything takes twice as long as it should. You need ability, time, space, and cash.

It's all changed since I was doing it, but there are hoops to jump which can involve donor parts.

Not trying to put you off, you may be Colin Chapman's grandson for all I know.

Just be aware it's a big commitment over a long period.

If it's a Cobra, ignore all the above.

Or buy one ready built (this is not for sale)

2125789823_WP_20161105_14_18_56_Pro(1).thumb.jpg.6137fd08e7d8e88eb7c18dae381b1fac.jpg

I've no interest in buying a car someone else has made.   But I've always wanted a Cobra and a 32 ford three window, currently I have neither.

It's a cobra I'm looking to buy a donor for, and I don't think I'd have it finished any time soon, or even have the parts or shell and chassis for a while but seeing that there's a builder on my doorstep (there's actually two, Gardner and AK), has kind of rekindled the idea of building a replica of a dream.

And yeah I know the AK chassis is a box job but I bet it still drives nicer than a real one would. ?

If someone makes a kit around the X308 that's got to be the way to go- if anything they're worth slightly less than X300s as far as I can tell, and there are loads of terminally rusty ones about, reckon you could find a running donor for sub-£500. The Jag V8 might not look right under the bonnet but it'll make the right noise and go like stink!

4 hours ago, Rave said:

If someone makes a kit around the X308 that's got to be the way to go- if anything they're worth slightly less than X300s as far as I can tell, and there are loads of terminally rusty ones about, reckon you could find a running donor for sub-£500. The Jag V8 might not look right under the bonnet but it'll make the right noise and go like stink!

That was basically my thinking.  I could break down what I need from a rotten one fairly quickly and buy the chassis and body, and build it over time.