Smoll SooZooKey of joy - airtight* rim

dozeydustman

• 1 month later...

Smoll amount of mingebaggery deployed this afternoon.

F6FE58ED-8A38-498D-97E4-512DB4B66741.thumb.jpeg.010213bcca32bd30dc8d2fe997c22652.jpeg

ADDC32F7-BD48-47A2-AB13-1B1DE5BA277A.thumb.jpeg.64bfa06fc158a3630a3dc4fd2cc6803a.jpeg

The slightly cloudy headlamps had bothered me for a little while, and the photos make them look better than they were.

5 mins with some of this

1369B81F-C65B-4555-94D0-E03BEF8A8F98.thumb.jpeg.4d8547a0c4f1d65cbb4be319da7026e5.jpeg

And we have this

967CBF05-A56A-4C5F-82B1-DFD2AC092F6E.thumb.jpeg.b46f98ab847e0a92e94e3fb7b79d56a6.jpeg7319B92C-B223-4B6F-A0D3-C051E1BB38AE.thumb.jpeg.f8eba14e1e81e341bb56496a96f39767.jpeg

Not as good as a professional* restoration kit from eBay, but eleventy-billion times better. For the cost of nowt

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, dozeydustman said:

Jobs to do.

1. Ticking CV joint - I think it's the nearside one, and a CV kit is in the boot.
  2. Front Brake pads - occasionally there is a grinding under hard braking, so I hope in the morning I can give them a quick once over.
  3. restore faded trim - ok it's scratched in places and has a small ding, but the faded black plastics make the car look a little dishevelled. I do have some turd polish somewhere.
  4. replace aerial - can't pick up anything save the odd MW station as the roof mounted aerial is broked (I put some CDs in the glove box but whenever the wife's driven it it's the sodding Mika album in the CD slot)
  5. Give it a pre-MoT - Ticket is up mid January, so as long as nothing dire is on the cards, should be plain sailing as looking through the history it's been bulbs and service items it's needed for each test.
  6. Get some better tyres - the ones on it are horrible, make a lot of road noise and slippery when wet. Don't care if the car I drive is a shitheap or something smart, it's gotta have decent tyres, so I may well invest in a set of Falkens as fitted to the Corolla as they transformed that car.
  7. Replace lower balljoint gaiters.
  8. Hardwire Dashcam

250 miles covered this weekend on a jolly to Canterbury (which also involved Prosecco and cheese), gave me a bit of opportunity to try out the new tyres. Avon ZV7s all round and it really has made the car different on the road. There's a lot more road feel, it's quieter and hopefully a bit better on the juice. It's never going to be the best handling car so need to give it a bit of help. The one good tyre (A Debica Passio 2) has been retained off the rim as it's a common size between this and the Toyota although it's got the grip properties of a tea tray on an ice rink. I'll get another Avon for the spare on this.

Can't find an aerial locally or online, so if anyone knows of an early Ignis being broken, please let me know. Also waiting for a nice weekend so I can do the perishing balljoint boots and CV joint.

Unfortunately water is getting into the boot. No idea where from yet as it's gathered in the spare wheel well, seals look intact and there's no obvious signs of ingress. Just hoping that the really strong wind and rain of late has just forced the wet past the seal as opposed to being a real breach somewhere.

Just serviced the roller skate.

Air filter not exactly manky but starting to get grubby. Might have lasted another 6k but I’ve had one since December.

E83BEB8F-892B-43BA-9541-5FEAD269C622.thumb.jpeg.a46f02f79df8a174eb92997ef3edf487.jpeg

Reassuring swarf free sump plug, oil was still very clean.

CFAA4520-7067-45D8-9133-16450B647C54.thumb.jpeg.608361e88ad529f43bc23236b2462538.jpeg

I can’t remember the last time I had to use one of these. I’m normally pretty good at getting filters off by hand; even this kept slipping until it deformed the filter.

EBFE629F-3241-4755-AD59-EDC3FE4A1E83.thumb.jpeg.038b7b5abe732f9911288df2ce06c9fb.jpeg

Mess made because my nose decided it was tome to sneeze when pouring oil oil into a container.

969B6A7D-F08C-4723-BDD1-12E174A82D79.thumb.jpeg.a7408f9d7c12dae7bede10e25a6c6d9c.jpeg

Refitting is reverse of removal. Certainly quieter on the road and no warning lights on so job jobbed.

• 4 months later...

Little update on this fine steed. It's been great automotive porridge for the last year; racked up 8000 miles (I don't do a lot!) with no faults or niggles.

I'm still after an aerial for it, and the MoT threw up play in the inner track rods and close to the limit tyres. Tyres were changed in February, and I now have the track rods (both inner and outer) and as the magic browser plug-in managed to get me track rod ends for £2.77 each, a grand total of £37 was spent on all new steering gear. I haven't got rack boots, but the ones on the car are in fine fettle at the moment so I'm going to re-use them. Unless my ham fisted disassembly tears them.

I'll have a go at the CV joint as well, but unsure yet if the inner CV is able to be unbolted leaving the splined end in the gearbox or withdraws and requires the gearbox refilling with lube.

Expect home mechanicking soon.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Smoll SooZooKey of joy - new bits buyed
  • 3 months later...

Well, home mechanicking took a back seat as for the last 3-4 months I have been flat out. MoT is up this week (Wednesday) and I’m going up to the garage to have an inspection and change the outer track rods, put some air in the tyres (one has a slow leak) and make sure everything works. It shouldn’t take long so hopefully after I’ve done this I can change the wing on the Toyota.

I’ve hit a stumbling block.

Advisories last year were poor condition rubber boot on outer track rod and slight play on inner steering joint. I have both parts for both sides.

ACC92672-259D-469C-8DE5-0D2CA708743A.thumb.jpeg.c072f6a4db271c0dcc802143668f75c9.jpeg

The rubber boot on the TRE is still on one piece and has no obvious tears or cracks but it is seized in the steering arm; I can feel no play at all in the whole steering system. Also the 2 TREs on both sides are fused to the inner arms. I’m leaving them for a short time with some plusgas and I don’t have a gas powered hot thing of extreme death. I may get a couple of universal steering rack boots so I can assemble up the track rods for both sides and swap the whole lot a side at a time.

880E5AC2-7713-43C6-8E63-B9FCFC1A5A23.thumb.jpeg.a5205aa3df52a47c0199c7cc056d36bc.jpeg

This exhaust hanger has rusted through as well. I don’t have a welder so if the list of jobs is small then the garage can weld it back on.

I may just send it through anyway and see what needs doing. All other rubber bushes etc seem to be in good order and there are no obvious piles of rust so hopefully if I do get failures (or advisories) they’re small easy fixes which I may just get the garage to do.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Smoll SooZooKey of joy - track rod fun

Despite leaving the penetrating fluid on the TREs for over an hour I had no luck and the locknut on the inner arm has started to round off, so I called it quits there. They should be OK for another test so it gives me a year to find new rack boots and change the whole lot.

6C3BF819-8A48-429B-97C2-87ED24E17C3C.thumb.jpeg.6d3267957cb0538c9431f50a24f38c1e.jpeg

The exhaust mount has rusted through, and as it’s welded directly to that particular section of exhaust I’ve taken it off hoping that it’ll pass without. The system doesn’t slop about like a turd in a piss-pot so should be fine, but I’ll ask the garage if they can tack it back on if needed.

The only other thing that I can find wrong with the car using my extremely competent* skillz was low screen wash fluid. All fluids are now topped up.

0A6D5DD3-BAF4-41B8-AA17-E6B3F0D6CDFD.thumb.jpeg.84f1f937309b3fdfde57d83b0fd91b3a.jpeg

As I didn’t realise the ticket expires tonight she’s safely in bed until Wednesday. I may give her a quick wash tomorrow as she’s a bit grubby, so fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I'd change the lot even if they look fine! I've chased issues before and just fixed it by throwing £40-50 of cheapest parts at it! 

By the time you've done it you'll be happy! 

I’ve got the parts in the boot of the car save the rack boots; I’ve had trouble finding good quality boots that are a direct fit, but plenty of the plasticky shiny universal ones that tend to split within 5 minutes of going on. Had the TREs not been seized or had access to heat they’d have both been whipped off and replaced but reusing the existing boots as they are in good order.

2 hours ago, louiepj said:

Mapp gas torch on offer at moment with Toolstation.
https://www.toolstation.com/vortex-map-torch-pack/p71324

Hopefully on sale next week when I get paid. I do need one.

9 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

I’ve hit a stumbling block.

Advisories last year were poor condition rubber boot on outer track rod and slight play on inner steering joint. I have both parts for both sides.

ACC92672-259D-469C-8DE5-0D2CA708743A.thumb.jpeg.c072f6a4db271c0dcc802143668f75c9.jpeg

The rubber boot on the TRE is still on one piece and has no obvious tears or cracks but it is seized in the steering arm; I can feel no play at all in the whole steering system. Also the 2 TREs on both sides are fused to the inner arms. I’m leaving them for a short time with some plusgas and I don’t have a gas powered hot thing of extreme death. I may get a couple of universal steering rack boots so I can assemble up the track rods for both sides and swap the whole lot a side at a time.

Ordinary plumbers blow torches are cheap and will get it hot enough.

Then get two hammers and hit it with both at the same time on opposite sides where the taper goes through the arm.

Never fails.

The Suzuki failed the MoT on a missing split pin and a failed sidelight bulb. Garage replaced these at cost and I have another 12 months of motoring ahead. Couple of advisories on exhaust hangers so these will be looked at soon.

What is strange is the perished rubber boots on the TREs didn’t get picked up despite them not having been replaced. Same tester, same station.

I’ll revise the list of jobs to do to this car soon. Next thing will be wing change in the Toyota.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Smoll SooZooKey of joy - Emma Tea obtained
  • 2 months later...

Done a quick lookover the ‘zuki this morning as when I went out yesterday it was making a scraping noise on left lock from the r/h/f wheel.

UPDATE IN KWALITY VIDEO FORM WIV VOICE.

I checked for bearing slop.

Then wheel off and looking for anything obviously out of kilter.

I checked around for any obvious signs. Just as I was about to whack the wheel back on I noticed something. I then also wanted to check the bearings and the rear brakes, but hit a stumbling block.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Smoll SooZooKey of joy - Grinding is exhausting. With bonus vocals.

We've been out this afternoon to the shops, and there was no grinding noise having made a small adjustment to the brake backing plate, so free fix. I'm going to have a look around for middle and rear exhaust sections; it looks like the cat is part of the manifold and the front section from manifold to centre is in good order (it's not got any hanging points). I haven't really done a great deal of mileage (there's a surprise) so unless I go gallivanting up and down the country within the next 6 months I doubt the brakes will need replacing before autumn.

The alternative is some inventive bodgery to stop the system from rattling

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few days off work this coming week, not back in til Friday so expect some fine gifferesque repairs to the little Suzuki forthcoming.

Also I have noticed one of my tyres goes flat rather quickly, a rudimentary inspection last time I worked on the car revealed no sharp objects embedded in the rubber as it did go down over the course of a month, but it's now getting flat within a matter of days still with no signs of nails or screws in the rubber, so I'll be off to the local tyre place Tuesday or Thursday to let them inspect and possibly seal my leaking rim.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Smoll SooZooKey of joy - airtight* rim