Life back in a Xantia. That's better

Andy F

4 hours ago, gadgetgricey said:

Careful. I think the tie was already owned, and not part of the purchase :)

The tie was in my ownership before today.  I believe the phrase your looking for is "period". It seemed like an appropriate time to get it out. 

I'm afraid this was a very boring collection. I got a lift in my brothers new Passat, sharing the driving. Met the chap who sold it as he was giving up driving due to age. It quickly came clear this is one well sorted and incredibly well looked after Xantia. It came with a boot full of spares including a full exhaust system, wishbones and about 10 litres of LHM. It exceeding all expectations and is a superb place to waft away a long journey. Using a lot less fuel than the Saab, which is the plan. The seller explained everything he had done to it, including an after market cruise control and all the care it had in its history, the last mot it failed was in 2006! 

Quick fuel stop and got some Irn bru and we did it in one go. Lots of traffic on M6-M5 connection but the car was faultless. 

So, sorry, I've wasted the forums time with a completely non exciting collection where everything went entirely to plan. 

2 hours ago, Andy F said:

that was a long way.

Myself and Mr @cms206 might have words to say about that after Friday's capers.

Also by the definitions set out in the SVM Industries Charter* which sets out the framework for journeys as Close, Long Way Away, Very Long Way Away or Far Away, this one comes under the definition of "Close"

In Other News...
Excellent chodmongering for a newish member!

14 minutes ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Myself and Mr @cms206 might have words to say about that after Friday's capers.

Also by the definitions set out in the SVM Industries Charter* which sets out the framework for journeys as Close, Long Way Away, Very Long Way Away or Far Away, this one comes under the definition of "Close"

In Other News...
Excellent chodmongering for a newish member!

Yes, that was an adventure! Reading yours helped me to feel very confident* about my collection. 

700 miles in 12 hours (including stops) is enough for me for a while anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of week 2 with the new Xantia. It really is superb, and a real credit to the previous owner. A couple of jobs I'll get sorted. It does have a bit of rust here and there, so will get it treated before it manages to take hold. I think the Accumulator sphere is quite flat too, so will grab another one. Although I remember getting reliable spheres for my previous xantia was difficult, I bought a couple that were flat despite being new (gsf). I guess the demand for them is so low they have been sat around for probably years.

I'll try and get some garage time in on Sunday morning, weather permitting! I'll get some more photos up too.

Other than that, it is already saving me a fortune on the motion potion over the saab, so I look forward to that making itself known.

• Andy F changed the title to Life back in a Xantia. That's better
4 minutes ago, Bren said:

Looks nice. These are great at hiding rot - a solid looking car can have sills with the structural integrity of a ryvita.

Definitely! My previous Xantia flew through the MOT the year before. The next year, same place, same tester said it was beyond economic repair! He couldn't believe it either. As soon as the weather improves I'll get some waxoil on the the underside and try and fill the sills. This one feels like a long term keeper, but I've said that before...?

• 2 months later...

Xantia continues being a lovely old thing. Fitted a tow bar the weekend, moving house once the solicitors get themselves in gear so a good few trips to the tip needed. It's already taken the entire shed and half loft full of cardboard (why we kept the box for the toaster I'll never know) in one trip. 

Towbar was a mission. Previous owner had had it fitted by Witter but they messed something up and he said it never worked properly so he had removed it. So made a good one with the bits he gave me and the electrics from the hatchback spares car in the garden. 

Then I gave it a celebratory wash. Any advice to get tar off the paint on the bottom of the doors? 

received_611149622759070.jpeg

received_2558500921101578.jpeg