The 50 quid Omega. To sell, or not to sell. Or break.

sutty2006

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Congratulations! Gonna get the engine swap done before or after the honeymoon? 

Need to do a rally with it next year first, then the fun will commence. A guy I know who came last nights evening doo told me of a chap that’s already done the conversion to a carlton so I can ask him for advice. It’ll be epic. 

So I’ve been in touch with a guy that has already attempted to fit one of these engines to a carlton on Facebook. He says he gave up after trying to fit the electrics side of things. Really? How bad can it be? Well, the throttle pedal is electronic for starters. And he says the pedal doesn’t fit. Sounds like I’ll have to make it fit then. I could always go down the manual fuel pump road but the pump required is £400. Nahh. Worth more than the car! 

Research continues.  

13 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Thanks guys. Yesterday went very well. In an autoshite manner I left my speech at home, I’m crap at speaking but ended up winging it anyway. Was a great day. Currently nursing a bad head, not through alcohol, but the bride/groom suite on site has a low slung entrance to the bedroom and I walked straight into it and ended up on the floor............. twice. Have a few pictures, then I promise Normal service will resume! 

DB644DD1-4EAA-4A54-95B0-1776E05C6742.jpeg

Congratulations -  and I can see how you might hit your head

15 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Thanks guys. Yesterday went very well. In an autoshite manner I left my speech at home, I’m crap at speaking but ended up winging it anyway. Was a great day. Currently nursing a bad head, not through alcohol, but the bride/groom suite on site has a low slung entrance to the bedroom and I walked straight into it and ended up on the floor............. twice. Have a few pictures, then I promise Normal service will resume! 

DB644DD1-4EAA-4A54-95B0-1776E05C6742.jpeg

53A262B1-2306-4C6B-8B35-E0477CA6F1CD.jpeg

667B6650-E772-4B25-9DE0-6B79A999D935.jpeg

F1C935D2-0080-487D-8F0E-A681EB1E074C.jpeg

6ACBB3AB-B008-4E73-965C-A891EEA3147F.jpeg

It was a great day Steve you smashed that speech off the cuff, do you know that's the second pic I've seen where someone caught me blinking I hope your photographer got one with my eyes open ?

6 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Was the Diamond T there to get you to the venue if you broke down, or was that the Bride's carriage?!? :D

It’s a Ward La France M1A1. A few good friends had a whip round and provided it for me as my transport in. Beast of a machine with a more modern Cummins diesel in it. She got the Italian job Minis, which were fabulous! 

Mea culpa, it's big and american so I got that bit right; I think the re-engining can be forgiven, the fuel consumption of the original 8 litre petrol lump would be a bit eye-watering.

10 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

It’s a Ward La France M1A1. A few good friends had a whip round and provided it for me as my transport in. Beast of a machine with a more modern Cummins diesel in it. She got the Italian job Minis, which were fabulous! 

Quick browse on eBay I found a manual fuel pump. Not cheep though. £350 used. But i could get rid of 95% of the engine electrics. Next problem after that would be the gearbox ECU. Is this engine an M51? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254259410877

Ive had a quick look at the rear tyres while the wheels were off. They look pretty borked. Amples of tread, but perished to f**k. It'll probably need a bit of welding to the body in the arch on the offside rear aswell, but i'll sort that out next year. ABS light came on aswell, but only when I pulled it off the drive. So possibly a ring or sensor issue. Havent got an OBD1 tool to read anything unfortunately.

Today a colleague from work brought 2 diagnostic computers over to see why the airbag light and ABS light comes on (once moving) 

no photos, but airbag light is on due to both front pre tensioners no signal. Strange how both are faulty. But I will need to go through the wiring as the seats have been out while ignition/engine on. 

Both conputors came up with “replace ABS control unit” fault....... so I recon this motor may do till next May when the test runs out and bridge it. 

As for fitting the engine to the carlton, it’s beginning to look like a lot of work. Subframe adjustments, gearbox communication and throttle pedal are all huge jobs. I can buy a manual pump for 400 but still need to work out how to get the auto box talking. So that plan may end up in the bin. 

I’ve done sweet FA to this lump over the last 3 or so months. The battery has gone flat but i charged it a couple of weeks ago and it ran for a good 5 mins happily. With the ST220 project fast depleting funds, do I sell it on? It’s pretty much worthless despite having test till MAY. So I’m not going to get much out of it. Do I break it? That e34 Bmw 525 engine what’s it worth? It’s strong as is the auto box. Am I being realistic? I’d like to plough what ever funds I can into the 220. Plans for a charity rally this year haven’t progressed either. 

1 hour ago, bramz7 said:

Oh this is the one you were talking about in that thread of mine. 

Looks okay despite its niggles. 

How much would you want for it complete?

Well there are two items I need for the ST. A clutch, and a pair of lower arms. I’ve found these bits for about 175 all in. So I guess I’ll start there. I could probably get 200-250 for the engine and box (AR25) but I’ve already got one car stripped to pieces on my driveway! 

Depends whether you fancy the challenge. You obviously have the skills to do it and the inquisitiveness to want to find out how to overcome the obstacles. Not always about the money ? especially if you can do it over a good while and spread the cost

Can't really think of a project that is justifiable money wise, i'd hedge the cost and get on and try :grinning-smiley-043: 

If i counted the pennies on my P38 i think i'd either weep or torch it ? 

Always fancied an omega myself.. 

How about going down the rout of a Pez unit on LPG to go in there? 

The 3.0 would go well in there with a Multi point LPG system..