Vorsprung Durch Head

davidy80

My first thread here, but hopefully not my last.

About two weeks ago, and due to the great generosity of a friend, I boarded a train for Bristol, and came back with this little beauty.

She's a bit crusty in places, and drinks like a fish, but is basically sound. The drive back from Bristol was a beautifully relaxing experience, other than

the cognitive dissonance of a tacho stuck at 5000rpm, when we were clearly closer to 2K.

Anyone have much experience of these? I'm finding tracking down parts a little harder than I imagined.

IMG_20190923_135203.thumb.jpg.6231a5f891df3d5fae8f5e837578dd46.jpg

IMG_20190923_135242.thumb.jpg.b8cf0113dd255f5b010b1d1f11dcf69e.jpg

My first thread here, but hopefully not my last.
About two weeks ago, and due to the great generosity of a friend, I boarded a train for Bristol, and came back with this little beauty.
She's a bit crusty in places, and drinks like a fish, but is basically sound. The drive back from Bristol was a beautifully relaxing experience, other than
the cognitive dissonance of a tacho stuck at 5000rpm, when we were clearly closer to 2K.
Anyone have much experience of these? I'm finding tracking down parts a little harder than I imagined.
IMG_20190923_135203.thumb.jpg.6231a5f891df3d5fae8f5e837578dd46.jpg
IMG_20190923_135242.thumb.jpg.b8cf0113dd255f5b010b1d1f11dcf69e.jpg

Yep, had a V reg one from this very Parish... Parts were not easy to find, I had the 1.9 TDI engine in mine. Yours a 2.5 Diesel?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, abelw44 said:

What sort of parts are you after? I know a man who's breaking a 1.8 one of these, but not sure how many bits he has left

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to need a centre box for the exhaust. The one that's there looks new-ish, but sounds like it's completely empty! (Obviously not a 1.8 part)

If you look at the tailgate, the piece above the number plate that holds the lock and lights is full of rust; not sure if that could be salvaged from a 1.8?

1 minute ago, davidy80 said:

I think I'm going to need a centre box for the exhaust. The one that's there looks new-ish, but sounds like it's completely empty! (Obviously not a 1.8 part)

If you look at the tailgate, the piece above the number plate that holds the lock and lights is full of rust; not sure if that could be salvaged from a 1.8?

Yep the bit on the tailgate can be.. or do what I did... take it off and Wrap it. Mine was full of rust and blibs and blebs too. I just wrapped mine in black.

So this evening, I noticed that shite number 2 on the fleet, an 04 plate Saab 9-3 convertible, had become a swimming pool.

The rain had stopped by 7ish, so I thought I'd open the doors and windows and air it out a bit.  That seemed to work quite well, so I thought I'd go the whole hog, take the top down and go for a drive with the heater turned up to dry everything up.

Lovely, worked a treat, until I got home and the poxy roof wouldn't go back up. So ten minutes before I'm due to pick up Mrs Y80 from her evening shift, I have to work out how to put the roof up manually.

Heavy rain due tomorrow, so some form of cover may be in order. Any recommendations?

A cheap one from Halfords will do until you sort the water ingress. I wouldnt recommend it as a permanent solution however as they can make the interior go mouldy. 

Welcome by the way.

Re the Audi, the Facebook groups should be the place to find some advice. Exhausts seem to be problematic to source, the one on my Audi has been welded because a new one was unobtainable. When it eventually disintegrates I'll try a fabricator.

2 hours ago, dome said:

Nice Audi! There's a few of us on here who will, if under duress, admit to owning such wanker chariots ?

Yours is a B5 chassis I believe, searching using that should make tracking down parts easier

Yeah, definitely a B5, and definitely a wanker having failed to start this morning ?