Remember when these were big cars

xkjagnz

3 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I've never owned anything newer than 1990 and I've had one crash in 40 years which

didn't involve anyone else. Bloody hell ! I'd better get my ass in gear and get a bloated

Mr blobby car because my luck, or driving awareness, will now run out tomorrow.

I've crashed 3  cars in my life, the newest being a 1999 K11 Micra, from which I was halfway out the door ready to lamp the dozy twat that pulled out in front of me within about a second of coming to a halt on the rear corner of his Cashcow.

I shortened a Sierra to the size of a Fiesta once, dunted the door open and apart from a stiff neck the next day I was fine.

I'm probably riding my luck and feel I should buy something a bit more NCAP friendly but cars from 20 years ago are so much more desirable to me  (not to mention cheaper) than new ones.

23 hours ago, Avensis Verso said:

I used to think these where big when i started driving, my dad had exactly this colour Montego  when i turned 17 still remember the redg C544HCX

austin-montego-estate-2.jpg

My dad had a blue C reg Montego Estate, C441 MWE. Although it was C reg according to the DVLA it was first registered in 1989 so why it got a C plate is anyones guess 

Thing is, like I said previously cars don't have to be big to be safe. The size thing is a stupid modern fad so that all the sad tossers can feel more important in their bigger car.

In these days of crowded roads small size and good visibility have never been more important but are just ignored !

In the early 70s I lived on a new build estate where you would have thought that the garages would be big enough to hold a typical car of the times. A neighbour owned a Mark III Zodiac which seemed a huge car to me at the time. If he put the car in the garage he couldn’t get out of it. He was a big man and worked around this by lining up the car outside the garage and pushing it in (and pulling it out, obviously). I still remember the car: dark green  56 BOO.