Saab 96L - An Occasional Series.

artdjones

After a couple of hours the car looked like this.I removed the rest of the lights,both bumpers,the boot lock and handle and the front panel.Next,both back wings have to come off and the rest of the trims and badges.After a few welding repairs hopefully it can be painted so that all the body is the same colour again.

IMG_20190914_183745401.jpg

The underneath looked fairly awful with lots of flaking underseal and surface rust.Amazingly though,it seems to be all solid,except for a strip on the bottom of the r/h inner wing,and the area in the second photo,which is the bottom of the rear quarter panel.Also,there are some small areas of rust on the boot surround,and the two brackets that hold the small mud flaps in front of the back wheels need replacing.

IMG_20190914_183758899.jpg

IMG_20190914_220537783.jpg

I had a spare couple of hours today,so I carefully removed one rear wing.This car is really solid.I only found one tiny hole that I wasn't expecting.Graham McDonald said it was a good one when I bought it off him,but that was 11 years ago,and it's been sitting in my shed for the past 8 years.Also ,I only paid  him £900 for it,which wasn't a huge amount for a roadworthy 96 even then.

IMG_20190921_184723688.jpg

More power is not the problem, 3 litre V6 and 2 litre turbo engines have been fitted. The weak point is the gearbox, designed for the mighty power of the two stroke and made of chocolate. The fact the diff bearings, often the first thing to fail are made of unobtanium does not help.

11 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I really like the 95 and 96, and that is absolutely the best colour they came in. My vote is for a front mounted Beetle engine and transaxle, but then I'm weird.

I'm not going to do a transplant on this car,but surely the object would be to improve it.

Good stuff; nice to see pics of a '96 which isn't mine...I've done a little work on the front wings recently, they'll be getting top coated soon, then the rad and pipework can go back in and the fun stuff fiddling with Nikki carbs and linkages can begin. 

How did you get on taking the rear wings off? I haven't got around to the rear end yet; is it just a couple of bolts? We're they seized up?

Good to see at least one has survived.  I had one exactly the same colour (KOW 296 P) which apparently survived till  2009. Mine only had a little rot on the front valance panel, but it is amazing that any car of mine could survive for 15 years after I sold it (and 33 years in total ? }

7 minutes ago, Nibblet said:

Good stuff; nice to see pics of a '96 which isn't mine...I've done a little work on the front wings recently, they'll be getting top coated soon, then the rad and pipework can go back in and the fun stuff fiddling with Nikki carbs and linkages can begin. 

How did you get on taking the rear wings off? I haven't got around to the rear end yet; is it just a couple of bolts? We're they seized up?

There are 12 bolts.4on the front edge of the wing ,which screw into captive nuts on the side panel.You can soak them in penetrating oil by removing the trim inside the car.

There are three that screw vertically into the body side below the window,also accessed from under the wheelarch.They can be soaked in oil from inside the boot .

Those are all normal set screws,13mm/½ inch head.The rest of the fixings can be seen running down the edge of the boot and valance. They have a Phillips head and screw into spire nuts on the edge of the wing.I used my impact driver to get them started.