e28 go compare advert...

kinkersaab

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/gio-compario-doesnt-sing-opera-gocompares-debut-ad-droga5/1594657

Anyone else noticed the "pre smashed" windows on this advert featuring a lovely brown E28 5 series? Presumably to make less mess when they flip it over? ... not much attention to detail to leave it so obvious.. 

Refuse to watch it on principal and for me it had a completely opposite effect that ads are supposed to have. It's like that other ad with the annoying bloke of size and the blue Merc. 

In fact, people or companies destroying anything valued, old and that of which is cherished by others are just being a bunch of arseholes and they can all get in the fucking sea.

It's just wanton destruction.

34 minutes ago, BoggyMires said:

Refuse to watch it on principle and for me it had a completely opposite effect that ads are supposed to have. It's like that other ad with the annoying bloke of size and the blue Merc. 

In fact, people or companies destroying anything valued, old and that of which is cherished by others are just being a bunch of arseholes and they can all get in the fucking sea.

It's just wanton destruction.

Makes ye think twice about selling your car to a stranger. That stranger could be wanting it to wreck it on telly.

I have been told that in the latest Mission Impossible  film a number of e28 m5s are totalled, and that these are real m5s not lesser models tarted up; apparently   the director insisted on real m5s being used (insert an appropriate term) and in a multi million dollar film the cost was immaterial; furthermore due to insurance liability the remains were crushed not parted out for their valuable spares. I am weeping but also anticipating the increase in value due to the fall in numbers - possibly 1% of the 587 lhd  built for Europe - there are about 1,400 USA spec with strangled engines and forget car bumpers

Edited by kirton
more info added

The suspension on that car is quite high compared to mine where you can only just get your hand in flat between tyre and wheel arch which ties in with the tale of the film cars being fitted with e34 suspension parts. Someone knew what they were doing.

The wheels are correct and what I want for mine, not quite unobtainium but close, and unobtainium money.  There are varieties of style 5 wheels that look the same but aren't. I got quite excited about the wheels on the brown Senator, correct  to look at, correct pcd and width but wildly wrong offset, and that is before I got to centre bore

20 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Makes ye think twice about selling your car to a stranger. That stranger could be wanting it to wreck it on telly.

I was sat in a tyre place a while ago and got chatting about cars with a chap.

He was the owner of the green Dolomite that Top Gear filled with water.

The buyer turned up paid the asking price without even looking at the car and just drove away in it.

All the bits that "Fell off" were fully refurbished parts so had been loosened for comedy value.

How odd to use that lovely E28 but to some people its just old and looks good for the advert. They drive Evokes and got their bunce for producing the advert so don't really care. I work in media and might even know some of the people behind this advert, we do book for Go-Compare. Without tarnishing every single one of them they would not care about the rarest of all cars getting crushed if it delivered the advert as ordered by Go-Co, it funds the evokes, flats in Clapham and nights out in shoreditch. 

On 9/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Oh yes... The only person I'd sell mine to is banger racer bill as he doesn't even own a telly, thus ensuring the future survival of the vehicle.... Wait...

11 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

How odd to use that lovely E28 but to some people its just old and looks good for the advert. They drive Evokes and got their bunce for producing the advert so don't really care. I work in media and might even know some of the people behind this advert, we do book for Go-Compare. Without tarnishing every single one of them they would not care about the rarest of all cars getting crushed if it delivered the advert as ordered by Go-Co, it funds the evokes, flats in Clapham and nights out in shoreditch. 

Christ how do you get through the day working with idiots like that. 

42 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Christ how do you get through the day working with idiots like that. 

Ha,  I work on the finance side of things and not every day with the 'media types' but I wouldn't miss it for more than about 90 seconds, generally its ok but im not all that sociable at work anyway. My lying alcohlic manager is the biggest bug bear but thats for another thread on another day.