A Mighty Matiz Collection - The end... :-(

Kerr

10 hours ago, Kerr said:

Made it to Hull.

IMG_20190914_095909756_MP.thumb.jpg.c4f9ed9c3b369a50ff9f3265ebad5d59.jpg

And (in what is maybe a first for a collection thread?) headed to the gym...

IMG_20190914_103928801_MP.thumb.jpg.12ce675ddf67c6369874fea460419aa6.jpg

I'm training for a half marathon in November and didn't want to miss a run from my training plan and this lot were giving out free day passes. I'm not really sure why I'm doing it to myself! :-)

I think that's the one on Clough Rd near my work :)

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah thats good to know :) generally these days if I spot something in another thread that I want to talk about in relation to invacars ill quote said thing in in a new post in my mega-thread and talk about it there

because it keeps all the Invacar stuff in 1 place for easy referencing, and also keeps the people who get annoyed when they see invacars happy! (since some members where getting a bit annoyed that suddenly there where invacars everywhere, my bad!)

shame it sounds like its sadly not on display anymore, given how I cant find any photos of it online, I wonder if they still have it even?

to those who do remember seeing it, how long ago was it roughly that you last saw it?

I last went round about a year ago and I thought it was on display then but maybe not. 

43 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Glad to hear it's been useful. What does your son think to Bluebottle/Chantelle? The car I mean not the names. 

He can be a bit funny about change (and was very sad when the 200 departed) but he soon warmed up to Bluebottle after we let him sit in the driver's seat for a bit. I'm sure it'll end up being his favourite over our Dacia Sandero like the 200 was. He's definitely a shiter of the future :-)

Just now, Kerr said:

He can be a bit funny about change (and was very sad when the 200 departed) but he soon warmed up to Bluebottle after we let him sit in the driver's seat for a bit. I'm sure it'll end up being his favourite over our Dacia Sandero like the 200 was. He's definitely a shiter of the future :-)

Aaw bless him. 

9 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

How's Bluebottle/Chantelle running Kerr? 

Running well, thank you. Although I did end up unplugging the aftermarket parking sensors upon my wife's request!! ?.

There are a couple of jobs I want to tackle, the main one being the o/s front wheel bearing - there was a slight grumble developing about halfway home, but I didn't pay much attention to it until my wife reported a "crunching noise when I turn right" a couple of days ago. In pre-child years I'd have kept running it until it was more desperate but these days I tend to get jobs like that done fairly quickly. I didn't notice it at all until I'd racked up a fair few motorway miles so I'm not upset or anything - these things happen!

I'm hoping that'll also cure the noise when braking at low speed with light pressure on the brake pedal (which I suspect is the ABS pulsing once thanks to a dodgy signal) but even if it doesn't it's no big deal as Chantelle still stops absolutely fine. I might get to it at some point but who knows :-)

I also couldn't resist peeling off the sticker over the EML (like a kid that can't stop picking at a scab! :-)). Given how well it's running my guess is a dodgy lambda sensor/connection so I'll get round to that at some point before the MOT is due. Unfortunately my tame MOT tester retired earlier this year and I haven't found someone to replace him.  Given the new EML rules I don't really want to faff about come MOT time if I don't have to, so fix it I will! :-)

Once I've done those things and hopefully got it through its MOT I'll give it a service (out of habit more than anything else - I tend to do it for all acquisitions) and maybe even tidy up the small rust spots just for something to do.

It really is a great wee car, especially for the money. Being tall and 100kg I'm a bit big for it, but I'm pretty impressed by how comfortable and practical it is given its size.

Thanks again mate, you could've easily flogged it on Gumtree or Facebook for £400+ so I really appreciate you selling it to a shiter for such a bargain price.

Just now, Kerr said:

Running well, thank you. Although I did end up unplugging the aftermarket parking sensors upon my wife's request!! ?.

There are a couple of jobs I want to tackle, the main one being the o/s front wheel bearing - there was a slight grumble developing about halfway home, but I didn't pay much attention to it until my wife reported a "crunching noise when I turn right" a couple of days ago. In pre-child years I'd have kept running it until it was more desperate but these days I tend to get jobs like that done fairly quickly. I didn't notice it at all until I'd racked up a fair few motorway miles so I'm not upset or anything - these things happen!

I'm hoping that'll also cure the noise when braking at low speed with light pressure on the brake pedal (which I suspect is the ABS pulsing once thanks to a dodgy signal) but even if it doesn't it's no big deal as Chantelle still stops absolutely fine. I might get to it at some point but who knows :-)

I also couldn't resist peeling off the sticker over the EML (like a kid that can't stop picking at a scab! :-)). Given how well it's running my guess is a dodgy lambda sensor/connection so I'll get round to that at some point before the MOT is due. Unfortunately my tame MOT tester retired earlier this year and I haven't found someone to replace him.  Given the new EML rules I don't really want to faff about come MOT time if I don't have to, so fix it I will! :-)

Once I've done those things and hopefully got it through its MOT I'll give it a service (out of habit more than anything else - I tend to do it for all acquisitions) and maybe even tidy up the small rust spots just for something to do.

It really is a great wee car, especially for the money. Being tall and 100kg I'm a bit big for it, but I'm pretty impressed by how comfortable and practical it is given its size.

Thanks again mate, you could've easily flogged it on Gumtree or Facebook for £400+ so I really appreciate you selling it to a shiter for such a bargain price.

No problem Kerr, I could have got more selling elsewhere but wanted it to remain on the forum if possible and wasn't aiming to make a profit on it. Glad it's still running fine. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:31 AM, Aston Martin said:

What the hell kind of boot opening is that? If the lights were smaller the boot could be bigger. The space around the seal looks odd.

Yeah, the boot opening is a bit awkward but the boot itself is a bit better than you'd expect (although still very small).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Battling on! Very little to report really, but she picked up a couple of new scuffs the other day thanks to some pillock with a runaway trolley, though :-(

Next job is to prep her for the MOT in a couple of weeks. I'm very busy at work at the moment (hence not much time spent on Autoshite recently) so haven't been able to tackle a couple of the small jobs I'd put on the to-do list. Given the timing of the MOT I might just park her up on the drive and wait until the new year to get it done. Softens the blow a little should she fail just before Christmas!

Just now, Kerr said:

Battling on! Very little to report really, but she picked up a couple of new scuffs the other day thanks to some pillock with a runaway trolley, though :-(

Next job is to prep her for the MOT in a couple of weeks. I'm very busy at work at the moment (hence not much time spent on Autoshite recently) so haven't been able to tackle a couple of the small jobs I'd put on the to-do list. Given the timing of the MOT I might just park her up on the drive and wait until the new year to get it done. Softens the blow a little should she fail just before Christmas!

Glad to hear she's running well. Shame that she picked up a ding though which is what the sad reaction was for. Hope she gets through the MOT OK. 

Glad to hear she's running well. Shame that she picked up a ding though which is what the sad reaction was for. Hope she gets through the MOT OK. 
Yeah, it was a bit rubbish but just another battle scar I guess. I hope all is well with you :-)

• 1 month later...

The ballad of Chantelle the Chevrolet has come to an end (well, for our ownership of her anyway) ?

I let the MOT lapse (due December 17th) as we didn't really need the car until after the new year and there were a couple of things that needed dealt with in order to get another year of legal motoring.

On the 17th I left it with my friendly mechanic, confirmed there was no rush as we were away over Christmas and New Year, and asked him to check it over before testing it as there were a couple of jobs needing doing that I hadn't managed to get round to (an increasingly more common occurrence as I get older!)

Anyway, a few days later he calls me up to say he hasn't tested it yet, "fine" I say, "there's no rush". "But..." he says.

Long story short, to give the old girl a chance of passing for another year would have cost more than I was willing to, and capable of, parting with.

He asked what I wanted to do and I confessed I didn't really know. He said he'd see if he could find a home/purpose for it and get back to me. A few days later he said one of his apprentices said he'd take it for £100. And that, readers, was that.

I'm really incredibly disappointed as Chantelle had been so dependable. I can't help but feel that this is another perfectly usable car that's fallen foul of increasingly stringent MOT rules designed to force people into dealerships to sign daft finance agreements for a shiny new car. I realise I could have stumped up the cash, but as tough as it is to say goodbye there has to be a line somewhere.

@Eyersey1234, I don't know what's become of Chantelle, but my Dacia's due it's MOT in a couple of months so I'll ask when I drop it off. I feel very sorry ?