Panpan Mountain Goat

Aston Martin

First things first, I cannot collect this car until December.

The Cactus goes back 19th of December and the Alessisisisis insurance runs out on the 1st of December. Its easier and cheaper to sort this out then. So he will remain hidden until then.

ForFiatsSake bought it a few weeks back and he got it at a ridiculous price, he suspected that the prop has gone, but it's unconfirmed.  If it has then it's £300 or so, which isn't too bad. The downpipe has gone and is being replaced this week.

I need a daily driver when the Cactus goes back, I parked the Alessi at work for 3 days last week and I hated it. The fact it gets covered in shit and the fact some wank could wallop it, because we tend to block cars in for fun tbh. Which is where the 4x4 comes in, it's already battered and I don't care if it gets walloped further.

For those that don't know, these are not like a Polo Dune or a Fabia Scout. This has permanent four wheel drive and is fairly good off road. There's an electronic rear diff on later ones, but this doesn't have it.

I don't like that it's silver, as I need my cars to be luminous pink or green with purple viper stripes. I'm not a fan of the red interior, however last night I was looking at red leather Abarth seats from a 500, which bolt-in. I keep forgetting it's my work banger and mustn't have fancy seats.......

It has proper air con and not the chocolate climate control, the rear axle isn't made of cardboard as it's obviously a different design.

It has some fairly ridiculous winter tyres on it and again, this thread will be buried until later  in the year.

E4F54002-7DDD-4433-9877-C7D90FF4B338.jpeg

0D6A5D06-6BA7-4AB3-A956-089DF9AE1FB0.jpeg

E7304F54-C66D-48ED-9980-C7066C931BC6.jpeg

CADFF5CE-7CDF-4075-9C55-F12FDFB4D041.jpeg

C04950D9-9685-4B12-9AC4-7D25ED26B1FF.jpeg

C313D4C2-E341-4C91-AADC-194F71D61922.jpeg

09E4DEEB-6F15-4681-B163-1875C41E287B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, shedenvy said:

Noice.  Is it a diseasle mister?

I looked at these for WBOD too but the prices were silly.

I'm never having a diesel. These are all 1.2 petrol.

The Cross is a diesel and has an electronic diff, the Cross is also rare and about £4k.

50 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

As much as I cannot stand these it would be an interesting******* WBOD - what’s the going rate for a not terminally fucked one?

I can't find one for less than £1500.

63E31C3F-BEEB-4FE8-9624-582CF189C6F5.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

These are all 1.2 petrol.

The Cross is a diesel and has an electronic diff, the Cross is also rare and about £4k.

Thanks for the info! 

20190304_172609_HDR.thumb.jpeg.44809f6ba8bc3dadf0507fdd00f33362.jpeg

I spotted this one next to my car in March.  Just checked the reg EX58EZE to see if it was a diesel.  it's untaxed as of 1st of Sept.  Don't you just love finding these anomalies. 

I understand the 1.2 is a good match for the Panda but I would really like to try the 1.3 multijet.

Still good find.  Future classic and all that!

In Italy they made a base model van 4x4. 

They love them and you can spend ridiculous money on an LSD and I believe I found a kit to disengage the prop etc. 

There is a UK Panda 4x4 club that go greenlaning  etc, but it doesn't interest me.

81DCEE1B-C230-43B0-92F1-E9F49731E5C0.jpeg

B1EB81DF-90A8-4817-99FF-FFFA1173F0D2.jpeg

D278F2A9-FA96-41A4-A783-B84BFEFE7779.jpeg

Imagine it's a similar formula to the original Panda as far as off roading goes.  Decent ground clearance and light weight.  Throw in some decent tyres, a sensible power to weight ratio and a bit of underbody protection and you'll have a winner.

Same reason that the Lada Niva is able to annoy the Landie crowd so thoroughly at off roading events.  Stuff like it and the Panda just go bouncing around without a care in the world over ground they have to plough their way through by brute force.

A mate many years ago had an original Panda 4x4 and when we had bad snow one winter it and my Niva were about the only vehicles short of tractors which didn't struggle getting up the hill by where we used to live.  I don't think the owner of the top of the range Range Rover Overfinch appreciated being dragged up the hill by a Lada.  I think he appreciated it even less when he realised that he'd had the handbrake on the whole way and it didn't appear to have made any appreciable difference.  Though given the tyres were just painted on the wheels on that thing I was utterly unsurprised.

I really should have a shot of a "new" Panda at some point and give them a proper chance.  I've huge love for the originals, but the new ones have never really captured my imagination, but I've never been in one...and to be fair I never really gave the original one the time of day until we owned one (1993 L plate 1000 Fire - Fizz special edition in metallic green, with the most green interior you've ever seen...up to and including the seatbelts).  One of those cars which didn't seem like much at a glance, but somehow manages to be so much more than the sum of its parts once you drive it - in a way that Italian cars seem to excel at.  Plus the instrument panel is still exceptionally cool with the little diagram that makes it seem like some science fiction damage report machine.  It went incredibly well too, especially once you got used to quite how rev-happy an engine it was and realised that there was a lot more performance potential there if you stopped being so gentle with it.

9 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

First things first, I cannot collect this car until December.

The Cactus goes back 19th of December and the Alessisisisis insurance runs out on the 1st of December. Its easier and cheaper to sort this out then. So he will remain hidden until then.

ForFiatsSake bought it a few weeks back and he got it at a ridiculous price, he suspected that the prop has gone, but it's unconfirmed.  If it has then it's £300 or so, which isn't too bad. The downpipe has gone and is being replaced this week.

I need a daily driver when the Cactus goes back, I parked the Alessi at work for 3 days last week and I hated it. The fact it gets covered in shit and the fact some wank could wallop it, because we tend to block cars in for fun tbh. Which is where the 4x4 comes in, it's already battered and I don't care if it gets walloped further.

For those that don't know, these are not like a Polo Dune or a Fabia Scout. This has permanent four wheel drive and is fairly good off road. There's an electronic rear diff on later ones, but this doesn't have it.

I don't like that it's silver, as I need my cars to be luminous pink or green with purple viper stripes. I'm not a fan of the red interior, however last night I was looking at red leather Abarth seats from a 500, which bolt-in. I keep forgetting it's my work banger and mustn't have fancy seats.......

It has proper air con and not the chocolate climate control, the rear axle isn't made of cardboard as it's obviously a different design.

It has some fairly ridiculous winter tyres on it and again, this thread will be buried until later  in the year.

I've got a 2010 Panda Cross with the standard Diesel engine, it has a suspension lift on it with a roof rack on the roof bars which makes it around the same height as a Freelander, it dwarfs a standard Panda. It has quite chunky tyres which do drone at speed but it has 138000 miles on it and it drives really well obviously it won't win many drag races but it does pick up speed reasonably quickly, much better than the 1.2 which is a bit slothful. I'v had it for around 18 months and it has proved reliable and is pleasant to drive, and was a bit of a bargain when I bought it

I really like it and it looks the part but can back it up by actually being able to go off road and not look completely out of its comfort zone.

16 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

How easy/pain in the ass is a prop change?

That I don't know, there used to be issues in getting a new centre support, which would wear out and fiat said you have to buy an entire new prop.

However, someone figured out it was a volvo part and now there's this on eBay. There's a circlip and loctite holding the prop together,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-FIAT-PANDA-4x4-PROP-SHAFT-CENTRE-SUPPORT-BEARING-MOUNTING-MOUNT-55222107/173861229435?fits=Model%3APanda&epid=14028275011&hash=item287aefd37b:g:zi8AAOSw6UlcpI8o

59 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

That I don't know, there used to be issues in getting a new centre support, which would wear out and fiat said you have to buy an entire new prop.

However, someone figured out it was a volvo part and now there's this on eBay. There's a circlip and loctite holding the prop together,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-FIAT-PANDA-4x4-PROP-SHAFT-CENTRE-SUPPORT-BEARING-MOUNTING-MOUNT-55222107/173861229435?fits=Model%3APanda&epid=14028275011&hash=item287aefd37b:g:zi8AAOSw6UlcpI8o

You need a press to sort the prop shaft and fit the new bearing, apparently, you can get a complete new prop shaft for just over £200. Although made in China I believe the suppliers say they are pretty good and they have sold a lot and had no returns. They only diversified their supply when the FIAT ones reached a stupid price which people didn't want to pay.

4 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

You need a press to sort the prop shaft and fit the new bearing, apparently, you can get a complete new prop shaft for just over £200. Although made in China I believe the suppliers say they are pretty good and they have sold a lot and had no returns. They only diversified their supply when the FIAT ones reached a stupid price which people didn't want to pay.

Thanks, from what I gathered. The centre goes at around 100k and my car is at 109k.

Having said that, mine has had a new downpipe today and apparently the weird noise it had is gone, so I should be fine. However, I think I'm going to pop and see the car on Friday, so I'll have a look at the bearing then.