Nippa for my Nipper !

Steve G

I've tried various things to get my son off the computer/game console and not had a great deal of success. Unfortunately it's mostly my fault he spends so much time on there as I introduced him to Gran tourismo and Roadkill in the first place. 

He has a bit of a thing for Fiat Pandas but they are far more expensive than the £150 ones I have bought in the past so I have been looking for something else interesting.  Mighty Car Mods have featured a few Kei cars on their show and these caught his eye. A chance spot of a Perodua Nipa on ebay really got him interested so I decided to have a look.  Apart from a bit of surface rust around the edges and a split inner driveshaft boot it didn't look too bad and a quick drive was OK apart from a slightly squiffy steering wheel it wasn't too bad so we decided to buy it. 

WP_20190908_11_31_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.6d22a8c04459c7e79c844864c82a3389.jpg 

On the way home we decided to stop off at a pub car show which is where the picture was taken from, sadly we weren't allowed in the main field, the guy directing the cars obviously had no idea, but wasn't a bad start. First car and a car show on the first day can't be bad !

The trip home was fun and included some overtaking which I wasn't expecting, I was pleased it wasn't us holding up the traffic. 

The most urgent job is to find a new CV boot. Local factors only have universal ones on offer and Perodua UK parts line haven't answered when I rang them up.  I will have to do a bit more digging. 

Before a bit of a scrub.

WP_20190908_15_02_39_Pro.thumb.jpg.06d342b04093a2102a6527d30a34d8e3.jpg

After.

WP_20190908_19_14_51_Pro.thumb.jpg.b3ca981fd8ab700ffe5a401c9acef932.jpg

I've had a bit of a dig round and it seems there might be a couple of sizes so I will have to have a measure up. I just noticed I took the after picture before I re-fitted the scuttle panel properly. The rubber was quite well stretched and was probably too much for the plastic rivits holding it in place so it's got some stainless bolts now.  

My son has a while to wait, he is only 10 years old but it will be fun to get him working on it and going to a few shows. He has seen the Mighty car Mods Mira so it's going to be a struggle trying to stop him wanting to fit wide wheels and a turbo. I caught him watching some old episodes this evening.

I was surprised nothing came up from Malaysia until I realised they call it different names elsewhere.  It's likely a boot from another model will fit, a stretchy one would probably be OK as well. I#d like to find an easy way to get hold of stuff in case I need something more tricky in the future. 

I'm old so insurance on a classic policy wasn't a huge amount. I would have shopped around a bit more but needed to arrange something on a Saturday afternoon for the next day but it probably wouldn't have been much cheaper elsewhere. 

Easy way to get parts for a Perodua in the UK … I'm not sure about that.

As  Daihatsu are  no longer present in the UK parts for cars based on them can be trickier to find.
If you can find a Daihatsu part number from an EPC or similar maybe Toyota can order them in, Daihatsu is owned by Toyota.

Ebay can be useful for parts if your local factor can't help, then there are some facebook groups where people have knowledge and sometimes can ship stuff from overseas. 
In Malaysia they are called Perodua Kancil, and you should be able to get pretty much anything from there, including turbo kits ;) 

13 hours ago, skattrd said:

Easy way to get parts for a Perodua in the UK … I'm not sure about that.

As  Daihatsu are  no longer present in the UK parts for cars based on them can be trickier to find.
If you can find a Daihatsu part number from an EPC or similar maybe Toyota can order them in, Daihatsu is owned by Toyota.

Ebay can be useful for parts if your local factor can't help, then there are some facebook groups where people have knowledge and sometimes can ship stuff from overseas. 
In Malaysia they are called Perodua Kancil, and you should be able to get pretty much anything from there, including turbo kits ;) 

Don't we have a mamber in Thailand?Cone maybe.

It could be worth a P/M he could maybe post one.

I doubt the shipping cost would be much cheaper if it has to travel 1,200km here first!

However, if the CV Boots are really the same as L200 Mira, it's readily available for not much money at all.

Edit: From quick research I found that shipping would be about 4 times the cost of the CV boots itself (which is 20 quid). So unless there's an epic halfway across the world shitely mission I don't think it's viable. Other suggestions in this thread would work though!

I had an interesting reply from Perodua UK today. I wasn't expecting it as I kept getting a voicemail message but was contacted by a very helpful lady who not only has new genuine CV boots in stock and can get pretty much anything available from the factory in Malaysia.

Hopefully when she checks the stock  tomorrow I can get some sent. 

If anyone is after any Perodua parts the number to ring is 01491 415230 

She also told me of a guy who has some sort of delivery company who has 20 of them, so thats where they all have gone !

I also managed to get hold of a Mira workshop manual off the Daihatsu owners club which will be more than handy. 

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

I had an interesting reply from Perodua UK today. I wasn't expecting it as I kept getting a voicemail message but was contacted by a very helpful lady who not only has new genuine CV boots in stock and can get pretty much anything available from the factory in Malaysia.

Hopefully when she checks the stock  tomorrow I can get some sent. 

If anyone is after any Perodua parts the number to ring is 01491 415230 

She also told me of a guy who has some sort of delivery company who has 20 of them, so thats where they all have gone !

I also managed to get hold of a Mira workshop manual off the Daihatsu owners club which will be more than handy. 

Oh, interesting - I'll try that number in the morning as I'm after a front shock for my Nippa and I've struggled for other bits in the past.

I saw your son's Nippa on eBay but it was the wrong end of the world for me.

Hope your son enjoys it!

That is one very clean Nippa, even your radiator mounting member looks immaculate! I was actually looking at one before I bought the Micra, just out of curiosity. The one I saw was very old-personed. Dents everywhere, with obligitory rust. I wonder if that was the fate of many?

Thanks for the replies, just showed them to my son who is pleased. 

For anyone interested this is the Perodua website http://www.peroduamyvi.co.uk/

If you don't get to talk to someone on the parts phone number leave a message and they get back to you.

This is the Daihatsu forum manuals section, you need to sign up to download any you need but getting anything from anywhere else involves signing you life away and giving bank details !     http://en.daihatsu-club.net/manuals

2 hours ago, Steve G said:

Thanks for the replies, just showed them to my son who is pleased. 

For anyone interested this is the Perodua website http://www.peroduamyvi.co.uk/

If you don't get to talk to someone on the parts phone number leave a message and they get back to you.

This is the Daihatsu forum manuals section, you need to sign up to download any you need but getting anything from anywhere else involves signing you life away and giving bank details !     http://en.daihatsu-club.net/manuals

Thanks, I've just signed up to that daihatsu forum to get the manuals plus will ring the Perodua place in the morning re parts.

Ps manual download successful

I've been trying to get hold of some CV boots. Perodua UK seem to work limited times and said they would find out for sure if they had any tomorrow. In case they don't I have been looking. 

Lots of listings seem to be incorrect so I ended up removing the driveshaft with the split inner boot and measured it. I've got some Bailcast stretchy boots to try. 

On one of my internet trawls I found this website that lists a lot of driveshaft sizes which might be of use. Probably other info on the main site although I haven't looked much yet. 

https://www.hicengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/DAIHATSU-CV-Drive-Axle-Shaft-Assembly.pdf

4 hours ago, Steve G said:

I've been trying to get hold of some CV boots. Perodua UK seem to work limited times and said they would find out for sure if they had any tomorrow. In case they don't I have been looking. 

Yes, I've experienced "limited times" too. Spoke to them on Wednesday but need to wait til this Tuesday to confirm the part is on the shelf - Tues is when the stores fella is next in.

However they say they can get any part not in stock from Malaysia via airfreight if urgent (didn't even ask on the shipping price) or via sea in a "couple of months". I'm waiting on a quote for parts not in stock. It's reassuring though that I can get Nippa parts - i asked about an exterior door handle and a crankshaft pulley and they were both in stock at good prices. Even if I have to wait for shipping from the other side of the world it was not an option I knew about last week so thanks again Steve G.

37 minutes ago, auntiemaryscanary said:

Yes, I've experienced "limited times" too. Spoke to them on Wednesday but need to wait til this Tuesday to confirm the part is on the shelf - Tues is when the stores fella is next in.

However they say they can get any part not in stock from Malaysia via airfreight if urgent (didn't even ask on the shipping price) or via sea in a "couple of months". I'm waiting on a quote for parts not in stock. It's reassuring though that I can get Nippa parts - i asked about an exterior door handle and a crankshaft pulley and they were both in stock at good prices. Even if I have to wait for shipping from the other side of the world it was not an option I knew about last week so thanks again Steve G.

Glad I could help.  Ours has had new door handles. Apparently you can pick them up from any parts shop in Malaysia which is what the friend of one of the recent owners did.  

My son wants some nicer wheels, his Birthday and Christmas list now include JDM parts whatever they are ! ?