Calendar - September 2020

adw1977

I feel the need to explain. That's my youngest daughter in the photo, the bride's sister. The photo was a sneaky shot taken by there groom - long time wonderer of why the hell I keep buying Rovers. The car needed to be moved after the photographer had taken her 'composed' chod-shot.

All I said was . . . .  'BRM won't start, turn the key, nothing - lights, no sound'. She replied before anyone else, uttering the words  "I know the drill - have you got a piece of wood in the boot or do I need to ask for a brush or something?"

Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

aw thanks for nominating one of my invacar photos :) 

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.af1d467e41ee5bc6c2f58a52326d048b.JPG

it looks like you copied just the thumb nail so  here's the original  in its high rez-ness :) (for the future when you want to share an image I find it best if you click on the photo then when it pops up in the same window, click on the photo again so it opens in a new tab then copy the URL from that tab into the text editor where it will autoembed)

my entry for this month has to be this group of photos by @Crackers :) 

9 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Went to Laandan and took some photos of old buses.

Please don't be a cock and steal my precious pictures.

Several more where these came from, if anyone cares.

DSC03853.thumb.jpg.8dded94e68a890faf9ce2c85226cbdc3.jpg DSC03886_1.thumb.jpg.bf850a5d38c419bfab270affdbd6c253.jpg DSC03920.thumb.jpg.e8a9f8dddb5603a74f563fa4e248b5af.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 9:02 AM, brownnova said:

September is a strong month!!! 

See, this is why the current way of doing calendars doesn’t work.  

Both of the wedding photos are absolutely perfect for the calendar and so is the lonely broken down Stellar. But at least two will be rejected in favour of something bland from a different month.

I can’t be arsed submitting, voting or buying the calendar any more.  It’s way too complicated and the outcome is suboptimal.  

Sorry, I know a bunch of effort goes into it but there you go, I’ve said it.

2 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Both of the wedding photos are absolutely perfect for the calendar and so is the lonely broken down Stellar. But at least two will be rejected in favour of something bland from a different month.

I can’t be arsed submitting, voting or buying the calendar any more.  It’s way too complicated and the outcome is suboptimal.  

Sorry, I know a bunch of effort goes into it but there you go.

Do you suggest a better way of doing it then? 

2 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Sorry, I know a bunch of effort goes into it but there you go.

In fairness we did the voting differently before, setting up a vote with 200+ pictures was a massive pain in the arse, seeing as I had to manually add up ask the votes that people wrote in as text as the software didn't allow people to vote for enough of the photos they wanted (I think a maximum of 6 at the time).

There are always going to be great photos that miss out, I don't think the current system is perfect, but it isn't awful either.

4 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

But at least two will be rejected in favour of something bland from a different month.

a different month?

I thought the whole point of each monthly thread

was you submit a picture from that month of the current year to be featured in the same month of next years calendar

(so ie here in this thread you submit pictures from September 2019, where one will be voted on to feature on the September 2020 calendar page)

@LightBulbFun I think what @Skizzer is saying is that there are multiple fantastic photos in September but there may not be better photos in some other months. As it's month-based and only one photo per month is allowed, two great photos from the same month can't appear in the calendar while a 'so so' photo that is the best of another month can. The implied suggestion is that voting on the best twelve photos from across the whole year could be an alternative way of picking out the photos for the calendar. Follow-on posts to his have explained why this isn't very practical to do at this time.

@Skizzer if I have that wrong, please do say!

13 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

@LightBulbFun I think what @Skizzer is saying is that there are multiple fantastic photos in September but there may not be better photos in some other months. As it's month-based and only one photo per month is allowed, two great photos from the same month can't appear in the calendar while a 'so so' photo that is the best of another month can. The implied suggestion is that voting on the best twelve photos from across the whole year could be an alternative way of picking out the photos for the calendar. Follow-on posts to his have explained why this isn't very practical to do at this time.

@Skizzer if I have that wrong, please do say!

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant.

The old way delivered a better calendar abd was what I had in mind. But if it was impossible to operate then that’s not the right answer either.

Personally I’d be happy for a small group of respected shiters (or one) to choose, rather than for it to be fully democratic, which would save an awful lot of complication. But I guess that would bring its own problems.

Sorry for causing offence to those who put a lot of effort into this.  I don’t think it’s awful, just frustratingly not as good as it could be / used to be. But I’m only one person.