Are Yugo-ing to leave your hat on?

brownnova

17 minutes ago, brownnova said:

It is tempting to leave the ‘patina’... 

You’re welcome to have a go once it’s back on the road. 

I’m pretty sure it’s a chain on these. Fuel in the carb is the next step, then trouble shoot whichever route that reveals! 

If think it is a chain, isn't it the OHV engine? I am sure it is the same family of engines I had in my Uno 60's which incidentally was very smooth and a little pocket rocket.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, brownnova said:

You’re welcome to have a go once it’s back on the road.

Might have to take you up on that.  If it's still about then you're welcome to a shot of the Lada to draw your own comparisons. 

From memory, the Yugo feels a lot more modern to drive, though less substantial.  The Lada feels laughably old fashioned, but has that feeling of being able to take pretty much anything in its stride. 

...Which judging from some of the nonsense seen on YouTube Russian Dash cam footage seems a pretty accurate assumption!

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, shedenvy said:

What New shite could you buy today with £5995 and is it actually better?

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, shedenvy said:

Oh fuck I think i've just sold myself a Dacia Sandero access.

Does anyone else have a warm glowing feeling that todays equivalent to a Yugo is a Dacia? Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Four year warranty! That must have really meant something back then given most manufacturers were still giving a year as standard.
Judging by how many Polonez(polenezes?) I see when I'm in Poland seeing the other halfs family, the must be screwed together somewhat right if not a bit crudely.

Her uncle has a Polonez van thats an early 90s I think. Fitted with the venerable XUD that'll keep on trucking.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, Spurious said:

Judging by how many Polonez(polenezes?) I see when I'm in Poland seeing the other halfs family, the must be screwed together somewhat right if not a bit crudely...

With a bit of design work,  the Polonez could have been turned out as a decent-looking 4-door saloon. The proportions were nearly there.

I can't remember if there was a 2-litre twin cam version, but it was never sold here. 

With a bit of design work,  the Polonez could have been turned out as a decent-looking 4-door saloon. The proportions were nearly there.
I can't remember if there was a 2-litre twin cam version, but it was never sold here. 
Yea it was out of the Ford Sierra. Also had a twin cam 16v Rover lump in there too which was the quickest of the lot of them.

I know I'm odd, but I still reckon that the Polonez was a great looking car (* has got to have the quad round headlights though), especially in a bright colour.  It's an utterly oddly styled and proportioned thing, no denying that and definitely couldn't ever be mistaken for anything else...but it just looks great to me.  The Ladas, Yugos Skodas etc all were basically a car built around the components and the occupants...any styling for the most part happened by lucky chance it felt like in those cases compared to the Polonez which really looked to have been designed and styled both inside and out.  One of the few cars where even the instrument panel looks a perfect match to the exterior...

IMG_20190609_132042.thumb.jpg.18131634276e8fb9a97d80f054ccd315.jpg

IMG_20190609_131936.thumb.jpg.18df31d7e4e98e8341d674d5e05958ed.jpg

I've said several times that once the Lada is sold I'm done with cars from that corner of the world...if I were to stumble across a not totally rotten Polonez at the right price though I might break that chain of thought.  I really regret not buying an orange one about 15 years ago...I don't regret not buying the white one though.  That was a death trap with a bent MOT.  The bulkhead was so rotten that the pedals moved a good couple of inches when you applied load to the steering...

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

That is my favourite Yugo of all time. I mean, Top Gear did kill one in Albania but I do love that rear design. I want it and I want it now!

They didn't stop making these as the Skala that long ago... I would love to try one of the last of the line.

I know I'm odd, but I still reckon that the Polonez was a great looking car (* has got to have the quad round headlights though), especially in a bright colour.  It's an utterly oddly styled and proportioned thing, no denying that and definitely couldn't ever be mistaken for anything else...but it just looks great to me.  The Ladas, Yugos Skodas etc all were basically a car built around the components and the occupants...any styling for the most part happened by lucky chance it felt like in those cases compared to the Polonez which really looked to have been designed and styled both inside and out.  One of the few cars where even the instrument panel looks a perfect match to the exterior...
IMG_20190609_132042.thumb.jpg.18131634276e8fb9a97d80f054ccd315.jpg
IMG_20190609_131936.thumb.jpg.18df31d7e4e98e8341d674d5e05958ed.jpg
I've said several times that once the Lada is sold I'm done with cars from that corner of the world...if I were to stumble across a not totally rotten Polonez at the right price though I might break that chain of thought.  I really regret not buying an orange one about 15 years ago...I don't regret not buying the white one though.  That was a death trap with a bent MOT.  The bulkhead was so rotten that the pedals moved a good couple of inches when you applied load to the steering...
You'd nearly need to go to Poland to get a decent one nowadays. And even then the climate is hard on cars over there.

The price of them is rising, they're becoming almost a cult classic on the back of the Maluch polski Fiat 126 making mega euros for a clean example...

I think it is fair to say that East European cars start off looking pretty sharp as a design whether their own work or a rehashed Western design.

Yugo 45 and 311, Lada, Dacia Denim, Polonez, Estelle. All the early ones look fine if a little basic.

Then come the facelifts......

Plastic crap stuck all over, obvious joins.  Soft contoured lamps bodged into a boxy design (somehow Reliant made a decent job of the MK2 Fiesta and Corsa tranplants).

The end result is usually the motoring equivalent of wearing a sharp pressed suit with Tesco own brand trainers, a replica football shirt and a "Make American great again" baseball hat.

This Polonez chat is getting a bit off-piste, but here's some further info - the reason the design is 'more complete/a little more adventrous' than some other East European efforts is because it is based on a FIAT prototype from the early '70's. The FIAT ESV 2000 Libre was one of several efforts made by auto manufacturers around the world at that time to make a 'safe' car - for example the overhanging rubber above and below the radiator of the Polonez are a residual feature of the original design. Other safety features from the FIAT  were not moved over to the original Polonez - for example ABS.

FSO took the ESV design and stretched it to fit the 125 floor-pan hence the rear wheel drive. For some reason that escapes me the lack of folding rear seat has some connection with the compromises made to alter the original FIAT design.

https://carsplusplus.com/specs1971/fiat_esv_2000_libre.php

28501378_197374_Fiat_ESV_2000_Prototyp_02.thumb.jpg.3e7dc935288d3d8d756ba08b758d9f16.jpg

Whilst looking for this image, and even more off-piste, it would appear there was even a Lancia version of the ESV - which links to this very parish!

https://autoshite.com/topic/10512-1971-fiat-esv-experimental-safety-vehicle-concepts/

Where further Polonez/ESV chat can be found.