Are Yugo-ing to leave your hat on?

brownnova

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

These were imported into the USA. Whole sad and funny saga here:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-–-the-jokes-on-u-s-the-short-wild-ride-of-the-yugo-in-america/

But...I bet they are not as bad as the press made them out to be?

No. you're quite right. They're worse. 

My sister and her then husband bought a year old or so c reg Yugo 55 GLS in red with the plastic fantastic body kit. The ex brother in law had a few Eastern Bloc motors at the time.

In the late 1990s he bought a pale blue 45A 1990 (h reg) as a second car alongside the 1991 Fiat Tempra 1.6. After they separated  she got the Yugo, he kept the Fiat. 

Yugo was put up for sale in 2000 as she didn't get on with it. I took it for a spin around the block and I found it a bit strange to drive. She replaced it with a k reg Skoda 136 LX which was a little more comfortable. I was sad to see the Yugo go-go. 

To be honest the magnificence of the pinstripes didn’t really hit me until after I got home and was looking at the pictures... I don’t really remember them in the flesh.  I can’t wait to get it back and study them in depth. I’m lucky that my brother is skilled in vinyl graphics, so I’ll be getting him to take detailed photographs just in case theres any need to replace! 

What an absolutely miserable piece of shit.

I remember my mate's Nan had been widowed for some time.  She had this new fancy man - "Reg" was his name.  We were all a bit sceptical to start with in case he was just trying to milk her of her pensions and savings.  Then this stout, moustachio'd man rocked up in a Yugo and we all breathed a sigh of relief.  He was lovely.  The car was an absolutely miserable piece of shit.

These absolutely need preserving for the future.  They have a story to tell - and I'm delighted you bought it!

(That way - I don't have to own it)

Well bloody done!

When I was a kid, my mum went to the US and when she came back she brought me a handful of Calvin and Hobbes books. I loved them, but was always really frustrated by not being to identify the car that Calvin’s parents drove. Then one day, round the corner from my nana and granda’s there was a maroon Yugo! I’d never seen one before but it was definitely the car from the book, I’ve loved them ever since.

Anyway, boring story aside, top shiting and I’m super jealous! Looking forward to the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh very well played.

As Bramz said, these are noisy and a bit basic inside, but they’re basically a Fiat 127 with a more* modern** skin and they don’t weigh anything so they are a complete hoot to chuck around.

I well remember helping Scooters (formerly of this parish) collect a beige one from Nigel Bickle back in about 2010. I did the first few miles then he drove it the rest of the way from Hampshire to Edinburgh. Happy times.

We had a 511 when i was 10 (fiat 128??) . Mum and dad were trying to save money so sold a mk2 xr2 and bought the yugo for a couple of hundred quid.

Hateful thing. Glove box filled with water when it rained, doors jammed when trying to get out. Did 3 years though including surviving a failed cambelt then went to the window cleaner for the same money. He had it for 6 years!

7 hours ago, quicksilver said:

What country is this car from? It no longer exists.

Then it was Yugoslavia, today it would be from the Republic of Serbia (if they, Zastava not Serbia, hadn't gone bust in 2017).

Fun fact Zastava = Flag so this is the Balkan equivalent to a Standard. The full name of the company was originally Zavodi Crvena Zastava - Red  Flag Factory.

Plus Zastava originally made munitions. Your car should do something like 58-60 horsepower too. The Yugo GV was throttled to the low 50s because of emissions laws in the US so it'll be interesting to see how yours turns out! I'll definitely make sure to see this at either FoTU or something else.

1992 and Orla Carey bought one of these to go to nursing college in and her placements at Withington Hospital - I rode in it more than once.

I have fond memories of pop riveting a piece of old fridge door over the sunroof that had rotted through.

Trying hard not to be jealous as fuck here....my first car was G375TYS, a white 55A. At the time all i could afford was 1983 fiestas and shit like that...so a 1990 car for same money felt like brand new. Paid £350 for it in august 1995! Have so many good memories of that car, in fact it featured in my best mans speech at my wedding. He said i thought it was the fastest thing on earth...and to that day he still couldnt disprove that fact ? what a car, such simplicity that anything could be fixed within the hour with a basic toolkit. Traded it in for a J reg proton no less....oh yes...i think i've been autoshite all my life! Think the yugo lasted about 6 month after i moved it on....RIP Bosnian Bullet ?

15 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

What happened to the bloke on here with the ultra low mileage shite in a barn? A traffic copper up north ( or down south for the SVM), from memory . Hadnt he got at least one Yugo on his fleet?

Julian is still about, he has/had a yellow convertible one and a res 511, I think it is. He's currently buying all the Marinas that are coming up for sale!

Nice one on the purchase of this, I'll be interested in hearing and reading about how you get on with this and what you actually think of it once it's on the road.