Are Yugo-ing to leave your hat on?

brownnova

10 minutes ago, xtriple said:

You could buy 45s for £2800 in 1989! I bought a job lot for under 2000 apiece from a dealer who was givng up the franchise - Yugo wouldnt take them back!  It took ages to sell 10 Yugos but I quite liked having them around.

Seems like this lady was ripped off! Apparently they bought a Yugo as it was better specced than anything ales for the price.... 

An awful lot of dealers either bought them from the UK distributor with loads of 'options' or fitted them themselves, as out of the box they were so badly specced they made Mercedes look generous! The options fitted were of really poor quality and so cheap as chips but they did add a certain flair and panache :)   People loved them with alloy wheels and a bodykit as they looked quite modern and 'funky' add some smart graphics and they were good news. However, they did drive in quite an agricultural sort of way which was fine if your prospective punter had just pulled up in a car that was seconds away from being scragged but if they drove up in a modern thing (Sierra etc) and wanted one as a second car for the 'little woman' (other patronising statements were available and used liberally) then you were pretty fucked unless it was the husband buying and he wanted to marry his mistress!  :)  

1 minute ago, xtriple said:

An awful lot of dealers either bought them from the UK distributor with loads of 'options' or fitted them themselves, as out of the box they were so badly specced they made Mercedes look generous! The options fitted were of really poor quality and so cheap as chips but they did add a certain flair and panache :)   People loved them with alloy wheels and a bodykit as they looked quite modern and 'funky' add some smart graphics and they were good news. However, they did drive in quite an agricultural sort of way which was fine if your prospective punter had just pulled up in a car that was seconds away from being scragged but if they drove up in a modern thing (Sierra etc) and wanted one as a second car for the 'little woman' (other patronising statements were available and used liberally) then you were pretty fucked unless it was the husband buying and he wanted to marry his mistress!  :)  

Thanks xtriple 

5 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Have the number plates been taken off? I see it has some potential dealer plate action going on in the sale photos.

Sadly they have. As they’d owned it from new they wanted something sentimental to remember the car by so took the plates. It’s a slight shame but totally understandable. 

I couldn’t persuade them that a handful of filler would be a better way of remembering the car... 

Googled the garage name, seems it's probably no longer there. However it led to this link for some reason, possibly the original story mentioned the garage the Yugo in the feature came from?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/love-unloved-cars-priceless-collection-pictures/yugo13/

(It's a newspaper website, so there's two words, 12 pictures relating to the article and 74,967 sodding adverts)

Here we go paperwork pervs.... 

Original bill of sale shows that Churchview garage was a Citroen dealership. 

31470A15-FAF6-40CA-BD78-6C4EB26F0EED.jpeg

Valve clearances were adjusted as part of the pre delivery inspection. 

20F4EFDC-B6B0-4B5D-B7B5-FCE439B9FF6B.jpeg

It’s also a relief to know that mine was checked in the great Yugo recall of 1990... 

Seatbelts are fine. I’d have worried if not! 

87CD30DB-B73F-4F81-92AD-03CC1EF64AC1.jpeg

See if you can get a good photo of the plates, it should be possible to get some replicas made up when you get to that stage.

Aside from the interior feeling like it was imminently about to fall to bits and a speedometer which bounced around so much below 30mph so as to be useless around town, I remember the one we had through the garage not driving half bad actually.  The Fiat origins show through I think in that it very much reminded me of a Panda to drive, just an older interpretation of the same sort of design.  Felt really nippy compared to the (admittedly clapped out, low compression) Metro I had at the time.

Given I've had several Skodas and Ladas since then I'd love a proper shot of one again now to compare.

As for getting it going if she's been sitting the carb is bound to be full of gunk.  Stick a schoosh of fuel down the carb and see if it will fires up for a couple of seconds, that should help prove you've got spark, compression and the timing isn't too far off.

Can't remember if these have a timing belt or not - if so it would be very sensible to get that changed asap.

9 hours ago, Skizzer said:

You absolute hero.

All that pudding is like expressionist sculpture.  It almost seems a shame to do anything about it.

Almost.

It is tempting to leave the ‘patina’... 

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Given I've had several Skodas and Ladas since then I'd love a proper shot of one again now to compare.

As for getting it going if she's been sitting the carb is bound to be full of gunk.  Stick a schoosh of fuel down the carb and see if it will fires up for a couple of seconds, that should help prove you've got spark, compression and the timing isn't too far off.

Can't remember if these have a timing belt or not - if so it would be very sensible to get that changed asap.

You’re welcome to have a go once it’s back on the road. 

I’m pretty sure it’s a chain on these. Fuel in the carb is the next step, then trouble shoot whichever route that reveals! 

Just catching up on things. What a great purchase for me this is why I love Autoshite. Loooking forward to reading about its progress and seeing it on the road. 

I nearly bought a cheap Yugo in the mid 90's, it was only around seven years old, however I bought a mark 1 Astra instead which I thought was much more sophisticated. It also turned out to be incredibly rotten around the rear and ended up with a crack in its crankshaft, the Yugo would have been a better purchase

I now have Yugo saved on my e-bay app!