Are Yugo-ing to leave your hat on?

brownnova

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I must confess and apologise for a complete lack of progress Yugo wise. Life’s been busy and more business is on the horizon. But tomorrow I intend to get stuck in with actually doing some attempts to get it going. In readiness I thought I’d fill you in on some of my other Yugo related activities... 

I had an birthday a few weeks ago, my brother who makes bespoke cards did well...

10A34D47-0FBB-4301-A22F-C56BDBAEE534.jpeg

Craig the Princess sent me a book on Yugos, so I’ve been reading that...

AC14B0BF-F00E-490C-A58E-6F3B2BDB9E2E.jpeg

Fascinating to read about the importer of Yugos to America Malcom Briklin, he seems an interesting chap, he’s trying to launch an electric car currently.

I carved a Yugo pumpkin

B62F11E7-D048-467B-85ED-84F6821F0BA5.jpeg

And I found (tasteful) photos of Yugos and ladies on Instagram (if only there were a thread for that kind of picture ...)

EC8B792D-E3C2-43F4-B0F3-927E489AD360.jpeg97ED7D05-5B1A-42C7-A461-89EA11CFF0EC.jpegE310DD3E-383B-4AF2-B9F6-72E4A6867D55.jpegC2235617-2D9D-4CD2-91DD-68027D3445FC.jpeg745081BC-897B-46CE-A797-E7B60ABBF88B.jpeg

Enough of your decadent Western frivolity... back to work Brownnova, make it run for President Tito!! 

Right come on you little bugger, we have a date with destiny! 
1730964E-8583-438F-BB54-2F7364B0400A.jpeg

Armed with this: 

B21BDA53-E3FA-4AAC-A544-447DCF439936.jpeg

full of petrol I followed the Bickle instructions.

Carb open, throttle down, squirt, crank.

First time... nothing. Power cable for the starter had come loose.

OK try cranking again.... 

Turn, turn, turn, splutter, cough and...... running!!!

*insert celebratory emojis here*

Aaaaand cough... gone.

In all it ran for around 3 seconds. 

Buoyed with confidence I tried again. This time instructions were followed properly. Turn turn, cough, cough, no run. Go again same result. Hmm... 

Leave it add a bit more fuel and not even coughing now.

Bugger, wonder if I’ve flooded it. I’ll leave it a little bit and try again later, or in the morning.

But it ran!!! Briefly but it ran!! 

Right come on you little bugger, we have a date with destiny! 
1730964E-8583-438F-BB54-2F7364B0400A.thumb.jpeg.279ba6c9e918bea1e657736f30d289e6.jpeg
Armed with this: 
B21BDA53-E3FA-4AAC-A544-447DCF439936.thumb.jpeg.f19eb5e3391f89ffbd346b2399ede4aa.jpeg
full of petrol I followed the Bickle instructions.
Carb open, throttle down, squirt, crank.
First time... nothing. Power cable for the starter had come loose.
OK try cranking again.... 
Turn, turn, turn, splutter, cough and...... running!!!
*insert celebratory emojis here*
Aaaaand cough... gone.
In all it ran for around 3 seconds. 
Buoyed with confidence I tried again. This time instructions were followed properly. Turn turn, cough, cough, no run. Go again same result. Hmm... 
Leave it add a bit more fuel and not even coughing now.
Bugger, wonder if I’ve flooded it. I’ll leave it a little bit and try again later, or in the morning.
But it ran!!! Briefly but it ran!! 
Great news!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

You lifted your foot off full throttle, and you subsequently added too much fuel.  The choke is pushed in too, isn’t it? Don’t use the choke- at this stage.

You’ll get better at it. As it starts to catch( you’ll hear the note change, and speed up)  & splutters into life you can lift your foot a little earlier, to get it to run longer. As little throttle as poss then, will keep it running a few seconds longer, which may make the difference

i said 3 times.  Novice status suggests no more than .5 times. It’ll run each time, but if the pump doesn’t pick up by then, it isn’t going too. 
I’ll offer further guidance then. 

Battery will need an external recharge, overnight prefersbly

Well done.

Extra thought, but how much/ how old is the fuel?

The more new fuel there is, in the tank, the more likelihood of a symphony effect to the pump.  A near empty tank on old fuel is much harder than a near fuel, on new.

At least you can discount an electrical issue now - your problem is fuel ( or the lack of it.)

54 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

You lifted your foot off full throttle, and you subsequently added too much fuel.  The choke is pushed in too, isn’t it? Don’t use the choke- at this stage.

You’ll get better at it. As it starts to catch( you’ll hear the note change, and speed up)  & splutters into life you can lift your foot a little earlier, to get it to run longer. As little throttle as poss then, will keep it running a few seconds longer, which may make the difference

i said 3 times.  Novice status suggests no more than .5 times. It’ll run each time, but if the pump doesn’t pick up by then, it isn’t going too. 
I’ll offer further guidance then. 

Battery will need an external recharge, overnight prefersbly

Well done.

Firstly, thankyou so much for your help Nigel  - it's amazing! Novice is the word!

Choke is in, I have released the throttle between cranks (Should I leave it in between cranks too?) I used a rock to keep the throttle in whilst I put the fuel in, but for the final try tonight I enlisted Mrs_Brownnova to keep the throttle in having left it an hour or so. We got a splutter, but no run - it may have been too soon. 

It did it the first time, but that was after I did release the throttle so I could re-hook up the starter cable. Only splutters after that though. 

51 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

Extra thought, but how much/ how old is the fuel?

The more new fuel there is, in the tank, the more likelihood of a symphony effect to the pump.  A near empty tank on old fuel is much harder than a near fuel, on new.

At least you can discount an electrical issue now - your problem is fuel ( or the lack of it.)

I put 5 ish litres of brand new fuel in today, fuel light was on before. fuel guage is just above empty.  I believe that the tank was run to empty, but the P.O. put "a fiver" in the tank to try and get it to start before selling it. If I can get it going again even briefly maybe more fuel might help getting it going more permanently!

I think I may well replace things such as spark plugs etc anyway. 

Thanks again for the help!

That fairy bottle 1/2 full should give you 5 attempts to empty. You may not be putting enough in the carb. It needs a good squirt, both barrels. 

Don’t be shy.    If it frightens you ( it may pop back thru carb) keep a bucket of water handy. You’ll not need it, but it is reassuring.

Throttle to the floor, no movement, when cranking. You can’t keep your foot in whilst applying fuel, unless you’re a very strange shape. 

it’ll go

More gas in the tank will help

Fiddling with the  plugs  won’t, at least until  it’s running properly.   Evaluate then

Your issue is fuel. Sort that, first.   Get it running, then service it. Not now- it’s just an added ‘ issue’ you don’t need. 

You may well need new rubber fuel lines and clips 5hough, as I suspect some of yours ( probably at the rear) has gone porous & is sucking air in. 

I put 5 ish litres of brand new fuel in today, fuel light was on before. fuel guage is just above empty.  I believe that the tank was run to empty, but the P.O. put "a fiver" in the tank to try and get it to start before selling it. If I can get it going again even briefly maybe more fuel might help getting it going more permanently!
I think I may well replace things such as spark plugs etc anyway. 
Thanks again for the help!

Wait, hang on a minute you've glossed over the important detail here - it's got a fuel light? Such decadence!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

That fairy bottle 1/2 full should give you 5 attempts to empty. You may not be putting enough in the carb. It needs a good squirt, both barrels. 

Don’t be shy.    If it frightens you ( it may pop back thru carb) keep a bucket of water handy. You’ll not need it, but it is reassuring.

Throttle to the floor, no movement, when cranking. You can’t keep your foot in whilst applying fuel, unless you’re a very strange shape. 

it’ll go

Grand, I was putting the throttle down with a rock whilst I put the fuel in! Fire extinguisher was present in the garage with me, but mainly due to fuel being about in various containers. 

I'll have another go tomorrow. 

I have confidence it'll go! Can't wait!! I was genuinely over the moon when it fired for a few seconds!

56 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Grand, I was putting the throttle down with a rock whilst I put the fuel in! Fire extinguisher was present in the garage with me, but mainly due to fuel being about in various containers. 

can you not just pull on the carburetors throttle linkage to open and close the throttle while administering fuel?

I know thats what we did when trying to get Dolly to run then idle :)

I'm following this with interest, and I'm sorry to invoke Elf'n Safety on only my second post, but IMO squirting petrol into the manifold from a plastic bottle while cranking the engine is dangerous.

If it spits back you can have a fire on your hands, literally, and the recommended bucket of water won't be much good for a petrol fire, though it might soothe your burns.  Just saying..

Just pour a little petrol -  say 50 cc max.- into the carb, keep everyone well clear, and then crank the engine trying different throttle positions. Then switch off and repeat if necessary.

In fact since it has already fired but not caught, the problem is likely to be that fuel is not being drawn from the tank.  Quite likely that the pickup pipe in the tank is blocked with old fuel residue.  This will not dissolve easily in fresh petrol, so will have to be poked or blown out.  

Best of luck with it anyway.

3 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I'm following this with interest, and I'm sorry to invoke Elf'n Safety on only my second post, but IMO squirting petrol into the manifold from a plastic bottle while cranking the engine is dangerous.

If it spits back you can have a fire on your hands, literally, and the recommended bucket of water won't be much good for a petrol fire, though it might soothe your burns.  Just saying..

Just pour a little petrol -  say 50 cc max.- into the carb, keep everyone well clear, and then crank the engine trying different throttle positions. Then switch off and repeat if necessary.

In fact since it has already fired but not caught, the problem is likely to be that fuel is not being drawn from the tank.  Quite likely that the pickup pipe in the tank is blocked with old fuel residue.  This will not dissolve easily in fresh petrol, so will have to be poked or blown out.  

Best of luck with it anyway.

Not being flippant, but I can’t help thinking that if H&S is your main concern, then the prospect of driving a ~30 year old Yugo on the road is probably the bit to focus on, rather than the tried and tested fairy bottle of fuel.....

Sounds like good progress. Have you got anything to siphon fuel up to the pump? Just to give it a bit of assistance. 

A can of lynx sprayed in the carb on my SJ to get up a small incline to the workshop when it ran out of fuel and we couldn't push it up. 

Citroen Dyane , the fuel drained back  and I only had a can of Old Spice original to get it running long enough to suck the fuel up. 

Always handy to keep deodorant in the car.

Much likes for this....

Used to own a light blue 45A, brought for £25 Delivered!!

previous owner moaned that it was missing on one cylinder..turns out they had tightened down one bolt too many - the one on that cylinders tappet!!!

straight through the MOT, and 12 months of use...gear change was a bit sloppy but other than that it was great fun...

OH and the Number Plate on yours has my Initials on it NDM..LOL

8 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Sounds like good progress. Have you got anything to siphon fuel up to the pump? Just to give it a bit of assistance. 

A can of lynx sprayed in the carb on my SJ to get up a small incline to the workshop when it ran out of fuel and we couldn't push it up. 

Citroen Dyane , the fuel drained back  and I only had a can of Old Spice original to get it running long enough to suck the fuel up. 

Always handy to keep deodorant in the car.

Brother used to use Lynx to start his old Saab 9-3 diesel when the injector seals played up . Works a treat 

• 1 month later...