Are Yugo-ing to leave your hat on?

brownnova

My sister had one of these around 15 years ago (or maybe more).  Hers had two throttle cables wear through and fray where they went through the bulkhead, giving the same sticky symptoms.  The second time she couldn't find a replacement so I bodged adapted a Metro (A-series) one to fit.

58 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

I’ll wager the front callipers need an overhaul. It’s common on those early Fiat calipers.  Nowt difficult, or serious, but make sure the sliders move ok, after.

I expect so too. I’ll give the whole lot a once over in any case. 

Be another first for me, so I’ll see how that goes! 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

2. The throttle sticks. This was more a confirmation. Push the throttle and you have to pull it back with your foot.

good thing you had prior "training" on such a situation, at the FoD :mrgreen:

but very happy to see the yugo again and it getting some love :) 

I look forward to seeing the work being done and seeing it hit the road :) 

Good to see it’s alive! 

I would get any of the rust that might turn into a structural issue sorted regardless of patina - in particular that bit on the drivers’ side A pillar near the front wing join.  

You wouldn’t want that turning into a hole....for a start it would probably leak like a cabinet minister!

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Good to see it’s alive! 

I would get any of the rust that might turn into a structural issue sorted regardless of patina - in particular that bit on the drivers’ side A pillar near the front wing join.  

You wouldn’t want that turning into a hole....for a start it would probably leak like a cabinet minister!

Yes, that one is the only one I’m concerned about from a structural point of view. Annoyingly also the most difficult to repair!

I’ll have more of a poke underneath later to see if its better or worse than I think... 

16 hours ago, nigel bickle said:

but make sure the sliders move ok,

Having experienced this same design on a Fiat X1/9, this is your biggest battle with these brakes.  The sliders need *constant* maintenance as they are not sealed in any way.  The sliding surfaces are "open" to brake dust, road shite and anything else that decides to get stuck in there.  Dismantle, clean, re-grease.  Repeat annually.

Finished off sorting out the garage today. Which meant it was all ready for Yugo habitation again.

One thing was certainly true... it was dusty. So I’ve treated it to a good old wash. As my 12 year old pointed out “It’s clean but it’s still rusty” Thanks son! 

97756F00-F62F-4C40-8845-3CBED64FFAE0.jpeg

Taking of rusty now that the garage was all clear I thought I’d get underneath and poke it with a screwdriver.

0E136D87-4367-4CE9-AFD5-57E050CBF026.jpeg

No real horrors under here... 

FA75E681-F413-4BA1-8EC8-CAF2FEEC62EF.jpeg3938D0EF-83BF-4B04-9500-F6C764BEFCB1.jpeg

Not pretty, but I didn’t make any holes screwdriver proddage. My untrained eye reckons one small patch underneath.

With the front pushed onto the corner of the garage for maximum fume escapage working on the front brakes was tricky, so with Mrs_b (with on board passenger) and junior_b not having been in a car for nearly three weeks we all decided to go out for a family ride in the Yugo... up the drive, turn around and reverse into the garage! Im not even joking! It was like a family day out!

C33198FC-CABB-497A-B43E-BFED39D86B27.jpeg

Backwards in should make brake access easier, plus it’s much easier to drive out in and out when it’s this way round, meaning I can stick it over the ramp at will. 

I also re-marvelled at the simple interior: 

A9E7384A-8F15-4C32-A7A6-8FD4D866438D.jpegDA76F8A9-B80F-46B2-BCF3-610DA5C5364B.jpegD9052D75-49FD-4F63-AFF7-995A15760A8B.jpeg

Wonderful. 

I returned it’s garage-mate to its place- what a pairing!

D83F5466-1CFE-4614-B750-5E3CACCB9325.jpeg

And like that bloke at the end of Brum I turned off the lights and closed the garage door. 

Does this have the same strange set up as the Ladas in that the light in the rear window heater switch actually comes on with the headlights as the only form of switchgear illumination rather than when the rear window heater is turned on?  Guessing not as I don't see a separate light for it on the dash like the Ladas have...

16 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Ah! Looks rather good underneath, especially as it's a Yugo! It's great to see it drive too and I can only say again that I seriously want a go in one now!

Yes the underside is better than I expected given the top side! Didn’t manage to make any holes with my screwdriver, so a sand down and under seal sounds like a horrid job but a necessary one!

I will need to replace lots of the rubber bushes and the handbrake mechanism looks pretty crusty underneath. Some of the steering components also look like they’ve seen better days. Plenty to keep me busy if I can get the parts!

Bodywork wise I’m thinking a new panel below the windscreen would be good as the existing one has a lot if rot, and a pop riveted patch for the windscreen wiper. The drivers door and wing are the two worst panels. But replacement would mean getting the decals redone. I was quite pleased with how well it looked after a wash.

The wheels significantly let it down at present, so I think one of my next jobs might be to sand and paint them. Nowhere near necessary but it’ll look like progress which will spur me on! 

16 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Does this have the same strange set up as the Ladas in that the light in the rear window heater switch actually comes on with the headlights as the only form of switchgear illumination rather than when the rear window heater is turned on?  Guessing not as I don't see a separate light for it on the dash like the Ladas have...

Oooh I don’t know.... I’ll look next time I start it up! 

• brownnova changed the title to Are Yugo-ing to leave your hat on?

As mentioned in the News 24 thread I saw the last roadworthy Yugo 513 at a show yesterday, and met a chap with whom I’d conversed online but never met in reality. 

His 513 is absolutely lovely! 
76BACE10-4F49-4A08-B11C-F22A0ACDDAC9.jpeg93B02F59-6FC5-4C29-BB7D-3381141B9653.jpeg6349E4E7-BD78-4431-B407-6BBA5BFD1161.jpeg

He also gave me a hat!! 
30F11AC4-2C82-44BA-8030-C6315EE99830.jpeg

Ready for whenever I can get my Yugo back on the road.

The fleet has become a bit out of hand here at brownnova towers, and I’m frankly appalled that the last time I actually did anything meaningful to the Yugo was over a year ago. But chatting to a few people stood next to the Yugo at the show there was such a lot of enthusiasm for them. Which has given me a bit of spur on. Time for some fleet reorganisation and consideration of what I do myself and what I farm out to get Yugo and the Nova back on the road.