Shite Daily Diesels

Sir Snipes

23 hours ago, Snipes said:

I put these in the modern section but I think they belong here;

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Renault-laguna-coupe-dci/372799455334

Seen a few of these 220s about for cheap. Is there something wrong with them?

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-220D-2007-57REG-2-2-DIESEL-NOVEMBER-2020-MOT-117-700-MILES-WITH-HISTORY/123942946546

Lexus has Dpfs, timing chains, OMGHGF, ridiculous 6th gear that requires at least 80mph, ergo sawing the gears at legal motorway speeds. Still nice place to sit and cheap considering the luxury level.

Late m47 engine post swirl flap, pre timing chain grenade BMW 320d E90 or E91s are getting into the £1000 range. Mine has been fine mechanically over 2 years and is bloody quick for a 2 litre and a hoot to drive. 

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Dodge-Caliber-2-0-TD-SXT-Sport-Hatchback-5dr-Diesel-Manual/312814030737

These look quite funky until you spy the interior. They do them in a kind of Burnt Orange with the body colour inserts in the seats. It's horrific, hence boring silver pictured here. I'd bet they're shit on interior space too.......and any other metric you care to apply.......

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Jaguar-X-Type-2-0-D-Classic-5dr/123949418021

Overtime I've come to not mind these things, especially in estate form. I don't get on with leather though. Maybe half leather would be ok. Cloth even better;

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X-TYPE-2-0D-Classic/333355491837

2.2D Touring auto with little wheels and cloth interior would be my preference.

Without boring you to death about Mondeos it looks strong money to me, you can get in a Mk4 for similar money which is a lot more reliable. That said a £1000 isn’t a huge amount if it gives you a few years transport. Run away if it smokes or does any cutting out bollocks when you nail it, though that said it looks like a 115bhp one so it doesn’t have all the VNT bollocks in the turbo to clog up. Check the history if it’s had the injectors recoded recently, fairly sure sign they are on their way out. 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:06 AM, Snipes said:

75 estates are very handsome motors, I've taken a real like to them recently 

My dad test drove a 2.0 MK3 Mondeo Ghia X with an autobox and it felt like it was towing Jupiter behind it. 

Not sure whether it was the same 'box, but the 2.5 V6 auto I had felt like it had about the same power as the 2.0 and would put the car in 4th as you negotiated roundabouts and refuse to kick down unless you kicked the pedal through the bulkhead.

It was likely in desperate need of a fluid change, mind. 

1 minute ago, rantingYoof said:

My dad test drove a 2.0 MK3 Mondeo Ghia X with an autobox and it felt like it was towing Jupiter behind it. 

Not sure whether it was the same 'box, but the 2.5 V6 auto I had felt like it had about the same power as the 2.0 and would put the car in 4th as you negotiated roundabouts and refuse to kick down unless you kicked the pedal through the bulkhead.

It was likely in desperate need of a fluid change, mind. 

My AW55 Laguna started doing this! Floor it around a roundabout amber gambling and 3rd,no 4th,no 3rd for the next 1/4 mile then 5th!

Its best party trick towards the end was if I lifted off the throttle for the brake at sub 20mph, but then whatever was infront of me went away so back on the throttle and CLUNKBONK it came out of the fake neutral it had and back into drive

Bar that, fab box mated with a fab engine, it scared me the first time I accidentally released all the horses at once joining the a34 from the m4 at 11pm having had it for just over a week... Hit resume on the cruise. I've never had cruise before. Was set to 85, I hit R at 30...

On 9/8/2019 at 9:07 AM, dome said:

My criteria was exactly the same as yours recently, auto, diesel, MTB carrier.

I've taken the leap to a modern diesel as a daily-a MK2 Octavia Scout with the last of the PD engines which is out of my comfort zone. I've bought an updated obd reader to work my way through the thing.

My other choice was a MK2 V70 D5 as I wanted an auto, the octavia is manual but came at the right price and the right time so I'll give it a chance.

You're right op about diesels being horrible to work on, especially ones where the turbo has shat itself and covered the engine bay in oil?

An mg zt-t in diesel flavour was also considered by me but nothing cropped up when I was looking. 

Good luck, keep us posted on your new purchase!

So, after trying this plan of attack it turns out the Octavia isn't for me. It'll be getting sold forthwith, if not fifthwith

My daily commute is 10 miles and it's only averaging just over 44mpg indicated. On longer runs it's up closer to 50 on A roads but on motorway runs it's only about 40mpg-the S4 is cheaper on fuel than this as it's much happier at mildly elevated motorway cruising speeds.

I've bought a Jazz as a winter beater, we'll see how that goes. It averaged 48mpg indicated on my commute this morning so early signs are good. It also has enough space for a bike, although obviously not as big as the Octavia.

For me it's simple, I consider the best diesels are VW or Mercedes.
I've never had an auto VAG and see lots of spares/repairs on ebay with gearbox problems.

Therefore, if you want an automatic diesel get a Mercedes.

I've had early Merc cdi in  270 and 220, I got very similar mpg from both , so I'd get the 5-pot every time. The 143bhp c220 4-pot was gutless in comparison to the 170hp 5-pot c270.
This winter I've gone back to an older 5-pot Merc diesel, c250TD, which will have cost me around 3x what I paid for my last c270. Sometimes I'm not very clever.

I do keep toying with the idea of a jeep with the 5-pot Merc lump in, as I don't hate my current Jeep and 5-pots are for winners.

During this week of searching I've decided that if I want auto and derv, I'll get a bora, octavia or audi and use VAG, they do seem very reliable*

Very interested in these Carisma's with the petrol engine doing 50mpg though, I only really said back to diesel because of the empeegee's