Shite Daily Diesels

Sir Snipes

11 hours ago, sierraman said:

Looks ok, probably has been serviced but might have been a DIY job. ‘Birmingham Car Centre’ sound like a set of dodgy bastards from the ad. ‘200 pounds’

Ha ha, they’ve got a new shape GT-R advertised for £60k. 

Who buys a supercar from some bombsite outfit like this? 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I just don’t get why you’d rock up at some car dealers and say ‘like that 407 you’ve got there for £1000, I like it that much I’ll give you £1100 for it’. Sounds like the guy at the garage talks a load of shit. 

Yeah sounds like a load of bollocks to me too

5 hours ago, sierraman said:

I just don’t get why you’d rock up at some car dealers and say ‘like that 407 you’ve got there for £1000, I like it that much I’ll give you £1100 for it’. Sounds like the guy at the garage talks a load of shit. 

Nope, as false as it sounds, it's totally believable. that's just what it's like here right now. The third time it has happened to me in a month. Supply and demand locally. There's often not much available under a grand, so when somebody has something up at 7-800 quid with a long MOT, There's usually 4 or 5 folk in for it saying they'll be there in 5 t take it, full asking price if they hold it until then and it's gone in minutes. Easy for dealers to sting a little extra out of folk saying someone's already offered them full price etc.

a few days ago, Focus c-max, £550 quid advertised late at night. Got there to his lot at 9am, 5 other folk there all wanting to buy it, boy ended up getting over £800 from someone.

The market has flipped up here. It was, until very recently that cheap cars were pretty plentiful, folk from Aberdeen would come down here for cheaper used cars because they could get more for their money, given everything was overpriced up there because of the oil money.

Now the folk from Aberdeen are selling their cars down here because they can get a few hundred more than they can up there.

Weirdly today, several things have come up at sensible money so maybe that bubble is already bursting.

I'm going to be another 'boring' person and recommend a VW PD-engined car.  My 130 PD Golf MKIV Estate has been with me nearly 3 1/2 years and I've put on about 75,000 miles on it.  It's on an '05 plate and is on 125K.  The only thing that let me down was the DMF and clutch slave cylinder - which was an expensive job but the engine is an absolute peach.  Torquey and surprisingly quick.  It's a decent motorway cruiser too with its six gears and cruises at 70 at under 2,000 RPM.  Autos are sometimes available too.

Not the most exciting car to drive but it's not bad and it's a reasonable load lugger.  The Passat has practicality advantages being a bit bigger but the Golf might be a bit cheaper.

12 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Nope, as false as it sounds, it's totally believable. that's just what it's like here right now. The third time it has happened to me in a month. Supply and demand locally. There's often not much available under a grand, so when somebody has something up at 7-800 quid with a long MOT, There's usually 4 or 5 folk in for it saying they'll be there in 5 t take it, full asking price if they hold it until then and it's gone in minutes. Easy for dealers to sting a little extra out of folk saying someone's already offered them full price etc.

a few days ago, Focus c-max, £550 quid advertised late at night. Got there to his lot at 9am, 5 other folk there all wanting to buy it, boy ended up getting over £800 from someone.

The market has flipped up here. It was, until very recently that cheap cars were pretty plentiful, folk from Aberdeen would come down here for cheaper used cars because they could get more for their money, given everything was overpriced up there because of the oil money.

Now the folk from Aberdeen are selling their cars down here because they can get a few hundred more than they can up there.

Weirdly today, several things have come up at sensible money so maybe that bubble is already bursting.

How bizarre. You can’t give old bangers away in South Yorkshire. 

Ive lost count of the times I’ve gone to look at cars and they’ve gone ‘ive Got loads of people interested in it!’. It makes no difference to me. If the car was £1000 and I turned up with a £1000 I’d be expecting to buy it not be added to a pool of potential buyers. 

Similar trick I’d seen a while back up (or down as the case may be) here was traders adding a £99 ‘admin’ fee on a £1000 car. Cheeky cunts!

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

How bizarre. You can’t give old bangers away in South Yorkshire. 

Ive lost count of the times I’ve gone to look at cars and they’ve gone ‘ive Got loads of people interested in it!’. It makes no difference to me. If the car was £1000 and I turned up with a £1000 I’d be expecting to buy it not be added to a pool of potential buyers. 

Similar trick I’d seen a while back up (or down as the case may be) here was traders adding a £99 ‘admin’ fee on a £1000 car. Cheeky cunts!

Yeah I think these 'admin' fees are a fucking rip off, my OH got stung with one at a certain national chain with 2 words to its name. Robbing bastards even added alloy wheel cover when the bugger didn't have alloys! 

5 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I'm going to be another 'boring' person and recommend a VW PD-engined car.  My 130 PD Golf MKIV Estate has been with me nearly 3 1/2 years and I've put on about 75,000 miles on it.  It's on an '05 plate and is on 125K.  The only thing that let me down was the DMF and clutch slave cylinder - which was an expensive job but the engine is an absolute peach.  Torquey and surprisingly quick.  It's a decent motorway cruiser too with its six gears and cruises at 70 at under 2,000 RPM.  Autos are sometimes available too...

^^

What the fella said.

My 2003 Borat TDi was acquired in 2008, and started as a basic 100hp. In this condition,  it was capable of some very frugal running long distance; I squeezed 86mpg on one trip, using all the momentum I could get my hands on. Very disappointed not to eke out 90.

For no other reason than "why not", I've been running on a remapped ECU for the last four years. The programmer who did the work tuned it for greater economy in town at my request; the penalty was less mpg on long trips (81 at best, and 70mpg going London to Carmarthenshire and back). Output was a theoretical 138hp but I never had to use it as the engine is so flexible.

It has run without complaint since; used to carry my saddles and tack before I found the CX. It probably needs new bushes for the steering now as the front end vibrates under heavy braking, and the A/C system is quite squeaky. I've haven't bothered changing the timing belt, as it just keeps going (80,000miles on this belt) and I've always driven gently because economy. Even the exhaust is the original one.

Oil and filter change every 4000 miles. 

The market is full of absolutely fucked cars or cars that will be fucked in the near future. Most are diesel.

Hence when something turns up that has been cared for and will last longer than the end of the week there will be a queue forming and people will pay over the odds.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, jonathan_dyane said:

Don’t the diesel p12s go bang all the time? I’ve always fancied one but been put off because I thought they blew up.

no the vnt get stuck coz everyone thinks they need to be driven miss daisy style- then the turbot overspeeds and cooks the bearings

they do GLF tho when tickety boo

I bought HMC's B5.5 Passat with the AWX engine just over a year ago with 239k on it, I've put another 7.5k on it since. The car's falling apart, but the engine is still bang on. A few months after I got it it started running like a bag of spanners, smoking badly, and using 15% more diesel than before- after trying lots of things I eventually figured out that the EGR valve was sticking open. I've blanked it off and normal service has been resumed, and I just put up with it beeping at me every time I start it up. The engine isn't all that bad to work on, it's just a bit unpleasant because it's as filthy in the engine bay as you'd expect a 240k mile diesel to be. However other jobs on it have been a trial, changing the front dampers was a massive pain in the arse for example; changing the battery requires removing the bloody windscreen wipers! Considering that it cost me 300 quid I'm still pretty happy with it, and very much hope to take it to 250k and beyond. It does mid-high 50s at 70mph (according to the trip computer, which is probably optimistic, the tank's huge and I don't do enough miles to have ever bothered doing a full to full MPG check); I've had nearly 65mpg average showing on a couple of more leisurely trips.

10 hours ago, Bren said:

The market is full of absolutely fucked cars or cars that will be fucked in the near future. Most are diesel.

Hence when something turns up that has been cared for and will last longer than the end of the week there will be a queue forming and people will pay over the odds.

I don't know about paying over the odds but, with VAG (b5s especially) the diesels still seem to be generally higher priced than the 1.8T and 2.0 pez equivilants. If I recall the 2.0pez was a bit shit back then - 115bhp was it? 1.8T in an A4 Avant or Octavia might be alright - just not the VRS as I'm not a hooligan. 

Doesn't seem to be much in it either way with Vectras.

I'd steer clear of that shape of Passat personally, same goes for A4s that don't have more than 4 cylinders. Try changing front suspension components and you'll soon find out why-overcomplicated setups with 4 separate alloy arms per corner mimicking a double wishbone setup. Great(ish) to drive, less so to fix when the steel bolts have seized into the alloy arms. 

That was a big part of the reason for choosing the Octavia as a daily-that platform has Mac struts so is more user friendly. As a bonus mine has a pd engine too, must be one of the last ones on an 08 plate. Although it is a 4x4 so I failed there. 

We are talking a thousand quid car here. You buy with your eyes. 

I know plenty of people who spend £350-400 renting one on some bullshit PCP scheme. If it runs and idles fine then buy it and run it till it drops, maintain it but don’t be one of those fools that thinks he can make a 15 year old diesel run forever if he spends umpteen pounds ‘refreshing’ it. Revel in 45-50mpg rinsing the last bits of life from it then the day it chucks you a big bill like a fuel pump or a turbo then shoot the fucker in the face. Treat it like a farmer would a cow. Ideally buy it from someone whose just bailed after blowing a grand or two on a DMF and turbo swap. 

18 hours ago, sierraman said:

We are talking a thousand quid car here. You buy with your eyes. 

I know plenty of people who spend £350-400 renting one on some bullshit PCP scheme. If it runs and idles fine then buy it and run it till it drops, maintain it but don’t be one of those fools that thinks he can make a 15 year old diesel run forever if he spends umpteen pounds ‘refreshing’ it. Revel in 45-50mpg rinsing the last bits of life from it then the day it chucks you a big bill like a fuel pump or a turbo then shoot the fucker in the face. Treat it like a farmer would a cow. Ideally buy it from someone whose just bailed after blowing a grand or two on a DMF and turbo swap. 

I work with lads that are spending near £400 on these schemes madness to me....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know it's not as legendary as the XUD 7/9 but the DW10 is a reliable lump with a proper spread of torque. It's a lot more linear than an XUD and mine pulls strong from 1500rpms.  Would recommend the Xantia/C5 or 406 with the 110bhp DW10ATED

5th gear is as tall as my dad's later 6sp 140 & 180bhp DW10 (that thing is quick for a 2L diesel tho) Mk2 late C5s so it's only bimbling along at 70

Came in lots of motor cars but for the waft get a MK1 C5. They can be had for peanuts. Lazy boy driving which is what a diesel is all about.  

I put these in the modern section but I think they belong here;

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Renault-laguna-coupe-dci/372799455334

Seen a few of these 220s about for cheap. Is there something wrong with them?

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-220D-2007-57REG-2-2-DIESEL-NOVEMBER-2020-MOT-117-700-MILES-WITH-HISTORY/123942946546