Shite Daily Diesels

Sir Snipes

They might not be available as autos (does it really matter btw if all you’re doing is motorway cruising?) but the T250 Avensis with the 2.0 diesel. My very ropey one served me well at high miles. Surprisingly quick all the way up to its top speed, very efficient, very comfy and wafty but direct and responsive enough. Nothing but praise for them. Paid 500 for mine and if I hadn’t decided to get a small car again I’m sure I’d still own it.

Oooh a dirty derv thread! 

I have been through a few early to late 90's derv boxes and the following I cannot recommend enough: 

- Any Peugeot/Citroen with an XUD9TE or XUD7TE. They are a bit crude but have plenty of oomph once you get used to the power delivery, they will return 45-50 mpg without any effort at eco driving, and if treated to regular oil changes (every 5-6k) then will go on forever and a day.  205 (my daily), 306, 405, Xantia, ZX and various others came with this lump. 

- VW/Audi 1Z engined cars - arguably better than an XUD (yes I said it). I've had 2 cars with this engine (an A4 estate and an 80 Estate) and the economy  they delivered was silly, easily upper 50's to low 60's. Utterly bullet proof too - check out Car Throttle on youtube (yes he is annoying as hell), he gets an Octavia with a 430k on it and it was completely fine! 

- The VW/Audi PD engine is an absolute peach - probably the best of the bunch in terms of driveability - the 130 and 150 flavours are torque monsters and come with 6 speed boxes too. Mk4 Golfs are at utter rock bottom prices at the moment and there are plenty around so you could get a top spec PD130 or PD150 for absolute peanuts. Annoyingly you are straying into OBD territory with these cars, not necessarily an issue but an added cost if you don't already have the diagnostic tools. 

I have never strayed past the millenium with cars, so cannot vouch for the later stuff. Electronics, emissions nonsense etc puts me off. 

There are a lot of Mk 3 Lagunas in Ireland and they have a reputation for being fairly bulletproof.There are lots of Renault Fluence 1.5 Dcis being run as taxis,so the more modern Renault's are a definite step up in reliability.

A good option would be an early Kia C'eed 1.6 estate.They don't have a timing belt or a dmf,so two of the big potential expenses are avoided.Same for a Hyundai i30.

It’s all a lottery to be fair.

i run a 130 pd in the daily, it’s done 190k and runs like new. These are great if looked after, but knacker cams, heads and tappers if not looked after, or ran on the wrong oil.

same for all makes I reckon.

Problems with cars at this value, is not the cars quality but how something’s looked after by its last few owners.

cheap diesels have usually been run with spending nothing in mind sadly, and no maintenance kills anything.

I’ve been in the trade 21yrs - the last engine I changed due to catastrophic failure - Yaris 1.3. 

They would survive a nuclear blast if you read the internet.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, Flat4 said:

Might be slightly too techy but for sheer torque and waftiness I think you'd be hard pushed to beat a BMW 530d. Most of them are automatic and your budget should get you a pretty decent one. To me they don't feel fast and you don't actually notice the torque but that's mainly because as it's just effortless. Mine is a manual and you can stick it in 5th instead of 3rd by accident and not notice coz it just keeps going. Mine was only going to be a stop gap for summer til I buy another Legacy but if it goes through another test I can see myself keeping it and having both.

Incidentally, I think they'll be out of budget anyway, but you DON'T want a Subaru diesel. The bottom ends fail far sooner than they should do, lots of design flaws that I'm not sure have even been ironed out in the modern ones.

I'm surprised about Subaru diesels I thought Subaru were normally pretty good at engineering things. 

Obviously,  I'm a massive fan boy, but if you'd consider a manual, get an Alfa. The 1.9jtd 16v will go more than well enough,  and if you want more, a 20v in a 156 will still be reasonable money to buy. Loads of room in a 156 sport wagon, 147 is a decent sized hatch, and the GT has a massive boot. 

I've just done 240+ miles in 4 hours in the raffle win 147, without missing a beat, and that's done 166k, so you cant say they wont do the miles. Cheap enough that you wont care about getting it dirty, and still a bit of fun. 

in the vag selection ,,,avoid that Passat  and the mk5 platform jetta you pictured -most likely to be 2l diesel n it might even be a BXE engine one; if its motor has survived; if your into 'car one'up manship' with your workmates/ neighbours n want a later plate car adorning your drive; a late skoda 1.9tdi of octavia  or superb badging might suit; bur they aren't the best lookers, aesthetically speaking - then again; who cares...

Ive an 04 audi a4 b6 tdi 115bhp avant as a daily n I cant really fault it- eats up the miles; has 370k km on it at the moment - the usualy 1.9PD TDi reliability n terminator like indestructability; you can buy a newer version of the same car as the Seat Exeo in avant form; which is a b6 audi that they've put a different face n arse on - but will be 'newer plate'.... 

heres an older pic of my audi b6 avant; Ive since sacked of them Chinese RS? replica rims - as they all leaked air/two were dangerously cracked, n fitted a set of cheap skoda 5 spokes rims to it; completely bucking the trend of the look of these older audis when find their way eventually in the hands of the penniless /on the mean streets 

030.jpg

1 hour ago, Robson3022 said:

136000 miles SRI Diesel. MOT until January. I’m about to have rear discs and pads put on it and it serviced. Drives well. Full leather, cruise.

Issues. The rear seat back has a rip, Its a previous cat C but there are no issues around that . 

I hate leather so I'm oot. 

On 9/8/2019 at 11:06 AM, beko1987 said:

My laguna 2 1.9dci manual was sublime! Would have another! 

The Laguna 2 2.2dci Auto... Lovely but no. Mine ran fine*whilst suffering from some of the common faults the engine had

You just made the mistake of actually trying to look after that 2.2 though :D 

26 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

You just made the mistake of actually trying to look after that 2.2 though :D 

Nearly! Backed out at the correct moment in time! Don't think I did much to it in the end, fettled it's calipers which resulted in them seizing up randomly, had a look at the headlight self levelling, it did run better and the ignition fault went with an egr clean/chisel out but fuck trying to fix the leaking injectors and top gasket and possibly exhaust manifold! 

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

What area we looking in here? Birmingham? 

No I'm in Kent but I'm putting up things that catch my eye to see what response they get. 

I've noticed the petrol 1.8 20v turbo Octavia's are in my kind of budget. 

There's also a 1.8vvt Vectra at a dealer nearby. I might have a go and see what I make of it. 

I had a shite daily diesel for two years, It cost me £1195 to buy with no service history, one key and just the V5, and I got £500 off a Mondeo TDCi when I went to P/X it.

The L-Series was absolutely not a technological marvel, but it did 50mpg all the time and never ever broke. I think I got nearly 70mpg on a couple of longer distance hypermiling runs.

It had a stupid amount of torque (3rd gear was insane), and the seats were sumptuous. 

1958143780_10_452.0TDIXL.thumb.jpg.b9f4cbfd18989f6695ae92d99ac72d8d.jpg

DSC_5660.thumb.JPG.448a2de521e3ca948a2f0a0f592d85d6.JPG

DSC_5673.thumb.JPG.1ddc8f396d0d814462e72e61713dad25.JPG

The car fell apart around the engine (door handles, window, boot handle etc) but otherwise WUD REKOMOND.