Dame Edna's old car.

paulplom

10 minutes ago, Vantman said:

My 2008 9-3 Aero is NOT comfy!!

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Well bought! Saabs are ace, and even these late ones have great build quality and superb comfort! Except for Vantman’s 9-3, that’s like sitting in an iron maiden in the Middle Ages. 

EFA

Feckin engine management light came on, on the way to Morpeth yesterday so when I got home I spent an hour cleaning all the windows. They were filth internally. Serious though my code reader is in the van which is in for repair and I'm not getting it back till the end of the week. It can't be a serious fault as it still drives spot on and I'm still getting over 50mpg with mixed driving and hoofing.

Famous last words watch this space etc.

This went in yesterday for the timing belt, full service and water pump and I asked them to change the thermostat as it never really got up to temperature unless it was in traffic. I left a note on the passenger seat with my phone number asking them to recharge the air con and set the tracking as the steering wheel wasn't quite straight. I put the note on top of the service book and wheel nut key so they'd see it. By 2.30 I'd had no call so went down for a look. The owner said he'd been trying to contact me but there I didn't leave my number. He said it was all done but the thermostat hadn't made a difference so they'd put it on the computer and there was a fault with the wiring and the management light was on. He also said the fan was running all the time. I told him it hadn't done that before so he called the mechanic over who confirmed the fan started straight away when he'd started the car in the morning to move it before starting the work. I said again it's never done that before the mechanic couldn't look me in the eye and denied it again. I started it anyway and it seemed fine (no fans running but the mil on) so I paid up and went on my way. I got home after about half a mile and heard the fan running, strange. It was still running 5 minutes later when I was on the phone to them with the key in my hand. The mechanic was still adamant the fan ran before he started work on it and by this time I told the owner he's a fucking liar and I was beginning to get upset. I just paid £450 for preventative maintenance for a car to be more fucked than when it went in. He' told me it wasn't a problem and to take it straight back and he'll sort it. I couldn't take it back so it's going in Monday. 

What would cause this? The rad hoses were freezing cold and the fan was running full tilt with the engine off. Is there a blockage? is the stat opening? will it cook if I use it? The temperature gauge was rock bottom as well which again it's never done before. He said there's a thermostat probe at the back of the engine that they're going to change. I doubt that's the issue though.

This isn't a back street garage btw. It has a numerous ramps, mot centre tyre section etc. I hope it bodes well.

My partner took the car in at 9. At 10.00 I got a phone call asking me to pick it up. Apparently the new thermostat had a slightly different wiring connector to the old one. They fucked on with it and got it working. All fixed now. I'm still not keen on the mechanic saying it was like that before he started. Cunt that he is.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

I followed my partner home (half a mile) and the saab was emitting blue/grayish smoke. Great. Worn turbo? Maybe needs a thrash.

Go find a motorway. Drop down the gears until 3k rpm is showing. Keep that speed for 20 mins and give the DPF a chance to regenerate. See if that makes a difference, possible it has been used on short runs for a while, alternatively if you have access to a Tech II you could force a regen.

I think people could do with doing a week working in a busy garage mind . The sheer fuckwittery , impatience and lack of understanding of some customers is mind blowing . 

Then you have idiots on the parts desk /phone etc .

Its not an easy job . I know that plumbing isn’t either but the motor trade seems to get singled out for being rogues when really it’s just the garage / mechanic has had their quota of shit for the week . 

And don’t get me stated on what I call the “ and then “s 

book your car in for an hours work . Turn up on the day with about 5 more hours work that needs doing by the end of the day cos they are on holiday tomorrow. 

Couple that with an mot fail that grows horns and I can be two days behind by Monday afternoon 

I did 25 miles yesterday in 4th over 3k revs. It still achieved 55mpg!

The horrible acrid old bus smell has now gone and when I rev it there's just a slight amount of gray/black smoke which looks like normal diesel fumes to me.

I also found out yesterday it has an aux out so I can now listen to radio 6 from the bbc sounds app on my phone. I wasn't too sure at first but I'm slowly starting to gel with it. It does have big boots to fill though.8633dfc77b741355058cd4da66ae0a0f.jpg31d49a86c8aae41d93ef36c52a45e180.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It gets up to temperature quick niw as well and holds it at halfway consistantly.

I'm off to give it a 20 mile hard blast to Blaydon car boot in the next half hour as well. Apparently the fair starts at 4am. Sad fuckers.

It 100% needs a 6th gear. 90mph is 3.5k revs and the engine sounds a bit harsh. Maybe it's like this for the dpf and egr though.