Shaguar Shenanigans

Volksy

It's been a couple of months since I acquired the Jag of much beige back from Mr Barefoot. 

To be honest, nothing at all has occurred really, it occasionally, much like myself, has a stability control failure (TADTS) . Which it used to do in my previous tenure. The LH bank of the super smooth V8 has sprung a slight oil leak, some new cam cover gaskets will be on order shortly. 

It's happily keeping the Gulf states rich with its massive thirst for unleaded, but as I only work about 4 miles from home, it's just about tolerable. I tend to plead ignorance and NEVER flick though the trip computer.

After several years of being bullied off the road in the Geoffrey the Jazz, its a revelation to command some respect in traffic. 

As we all know, these are just sublimely comfortable, when i picked it up it was like putting on an old pair of slippers and a smoking jacket. Which I think will be the reason that it will stay around for quite a while. I did get offered a set of XJR wheels, which would suit it, but I will not compromise that ride quality for appearance. Given I used to be a full on pineapple VW 'Slam it MAN' type, it shows that I have got old.... 

Even the directors at my place of employment like it, which means I can leave it with all the Bentleys and Range-Rovers littered in the Exec car park.

The downsides, apart from the aforementioned thirst, are that it doesn't fit on my street (ironically it is generally parked in a pub car park at the end of my street) and that I'm going to have to start saving up to get the bodywork sorted. At the moment I like its aged shabbiness, Like that posh uncle whom has no issue farting at the dinner table. But I am aware that it needs addressing sooner rather than later.

The transmission has a slight slip in reverse as it takes up drive, but I remember that from when I owned it before, it doesn't seem to have got any worse, and as long as you don't rush its fine. Mr Barefoot had a transmission service, and the report does state that the brake bands on reverse gear are worn, So i'll just hope it doesn't fail anytime soon. 

All in all I'm very happy that M.Imp of this parish pretty much bullied me into bringing the heap back into the fold.

I'll post some pics when I can get my phone to work!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear. I think I spoke too soon. 

Had an actual emergency in the fast lane. No power, spur rapid lane change to the (now non-existent hard shoulder)  M60. 

With the 'engine stalled' warning. Its only ever happened once before. Years ago. But why? 

Stopped. Restart. And all is well. 

Then later in the day. Transmission shunt. 

Hmm. 

Thoughts please? 

The battery was the first thing I bought for it. Because at that point it had no MOT or anything, I bought the cheapest I could find. That huge, huge battery had only a one year guarantee & cost me the princely sum of £57. It's well over three years old now, so I suspect that it's well worth testing. I don't think that the transmission slips when you select reverse, I think it is just very slow in selecting it. It has always been like that, it's certainly got no worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a couple of weeks of dread, things seem to have returned to normal. 

The transmission has stopped shunting, slipping and generally playing up. It did make all sorts of horrible noises and kept 'creeping' in neutral. Interweb investigations pointed to the valve block in the unit either being worn, or some sediment causing the ball valves to stick slightly open. Therefore slightly engaging drive when it shouldn't and not fully engaging drive when it should. 

I'm not sure if the aforementioned sudden loss of power at motorway speed caused fluid issues, as the car was essentially coasting un-powered at 70mph - given you shouldn't tow an auto without the engine running, maybe that caused the issue.

When I get back from my holiday, I'll book it in for a fluid change to try and safeguard against any further dramas. 

I'll look into replacing the battery before the cold weather kicks in, but having experienced this very vehicle with a weak battery, it's not playing up like it did back then, so i think it's OK for now, 

Incidentally the 'hard reset' I did on the car, which drains all the capacitors in the ECU/Computers has caused a weird transformation. 

The gearbox - when in 'normal' mode, is far less slug like, it used to meander along, then when power was required, hesitate (or do bugger all)  then violently kick down - normally two ratios - and launch itself towards the horizon. It's much more progressive now. 

'Sport' mode now actually feels like a enhanced version of the above, with the transmission changing down as you slow, to provide more engine braking, but also putting you in the right gear if you need to accelerate again, rather than using kick down.

One assumes it's still learning - if these do such a thing - I'll see how it settles down over the next few months. 

726096932_jagfront2.thumb.jpg.d6cb0ef629bbc1ad94a10d2a5de10fd5.jpgJagrear.thumb.jpg.f151b437e2eaa5647a1a354c7c180957.jpgjag.jpg.f024162cd126f5d5a94750696f026031.jpg

• 4 months later...

That is sad. If you are going to get it towed away for scrap, might be worth taking a few choice bits of trim to keep. If for example it has the lambs wool rugs, they are worth keeping. Even standard genuine Jaguar mats are wanted. A good condition centre arm rest is worth some pennies, centre caps for wheels, front lights X300 owners like to retrofit as the X308 lights fit and are superior. Engine bay tool kit worth money. Also if it has a nice dealer key ring, I would be interested in that.

42 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

That is sad. If you are going to get it towed away for scrap, might be worth taking a few choice bits of trim to keep. If for example it has the lambs wool rugs, they are worth keeping. Even standard genuine Jaguar mats are wanted. A good condition centre arm rest is worth some pennies, centre caps for wheels, front lights X300 owners like to retrofit as the X308 lights fit and are superior. Engine bay tool kit worth money. Also if it has a nice dealer key ring, I would be interested in that.

Sadly not got time, space or inclination to strip it. Plus it sold to a local breaker for £250 within ten mins of advertising it on Faecesbook. He collected with ten mins, paid full asking with no quibble. 
Poor old Jag.. 

5 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

He just took the engine, rest was fragged. He has a contract exporting the engines to America. 

Look away if you are of a sensitive disposition. 

IMG_20200306_055433.thumb.jpg.e5d5a8578fa5851e60bc45710867693e.jpg

That really hurts. I wince when Top Gear take the wing mirrors off their Jag going through the bollards. Is that is for X308 ownership? 

1 minute ago, The_Equalizer said:

That really hurts. I wince when Top Gear take the wing mirrors off their Jag going through the bollards. Is that is for X308 ownership? 

Aye, I need a bigger boot these days.

I'd not owned it since 2015 but its a reet shame. Ordinarily I'd have saved it as it could probably have just about been viable to do it and flog it on for minimal lossage but it really couldn't have happened at a worse time for me and Volksy needed the money sharpish for another car, as it was an even worse time for it to happen to him and it was his only means of transport. 

All in all considering the circumstances it panned out as well as it could for everyone but the poor Jag. 

On the plus side I won't have to weld the shit out of it come MOT time.

4 minutes ago, The_Equalizer said:

I did notice there was the odd* mention of u derbody corrosion in the MoT history. Did particularly like the colour. I also have soft spot for Seafrost.

I had welded the floor and inner sill the entire length of the floor in 2016 (I think) and patched some other bits and bobs. Was starting to go elsewhere so was going to need some work come test time. 

Still, wasn't that bad. Feel bad I couldn't do owt but thats the way the dice roll sometimes. 

I do feel like I've killed the family pet. But as I'm currently a lady of leisure, and have no off road parking, and need a working vehicle for interviews ongoing it was sadly my only option. 

I will have another, which will have to be in the same colour (topaz) but as I've very little money coming in, 16mpg is not viable.