Northerners in exile

N19

As promised in the introduction thread, I figured I should create a thread here. Both me and the car are yorkshiremen in north London hence the title!

590 was new in January 1980 (tho from the VIN I know it was manufactured in December 1979) to a chap in Keighley. It remained in his possession for 19 years, being serviced and repaired mainly at the supplying dealer, Walter Burgess of Keighley. It was then sold on to owners in Swinton, Dore, then to a chap near Worcester who completed a good amount of needed bodywork. Over the years it has had new front wings, valance and driver's door.

It's a 1.6L and has survived in fairly original spec (bog standard). Some modest spec changes have been carried out - the carburettor has been changed to a Weber 34ich, and it is fitted with a 2" Sportex exhaust. The engine was rebuilt 7 years ago to include hardened valve seats.

I was therefore fortunate enough to take on a car 3 years ago that didnt need a great deal doing to it, I did not have any specific previous experience so it has been a learning curve and a half for me (though I am an IT/electronics tech so electrics are the easy bit!). Most things are dead simple and the Haynes book and Capri forums normally have the answer.

In my ownership I have dealt with a number of electrical gremlins, fitted all new service parts (including all ignition system, water pump, cambelt etc). Prop shaft bearings replaced by an engineering firm. Various bits to keep on top of bodywork - it's been undersealed from new, but has needed a few bits topping up and tidying up.

It's done a decent mileage each year for a 39 year old car... from north London has visited Aberdeen, Norfolk, Bristol, Brighton... motorway driving a little tiring as 4 speed, but definitely puts a smile on your face.

Going to try to get some pictures in line in the next post... 

20190714_150319.jpg