Cats clapped out Cars. Wafting North

catsinthewelder

21 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

If it did it's fallen off :(

Postie handed me 4 manufacturers recall letters from Citroen this morning,  fortunately addressed to the boss rather than @Schaefft.

I'd happily take it to the Citroen dealer and have them replace bits for free. Unfortunately no outstanding recalls for this one.

And yeah, unless the label can be found somewhere else it might mean a replacement radio is in order. Probably the reason it wasn't installed.

Bit of time for tinkering today,  decided to address the alternator on the Dacia.  The old one now puts out too much voltage so I arrived at FotU with smoke escaping from the coil and battery.

The NOS replacement was listed for a Renault 12 and was £50 opposed to the £350 asked for a 1310.  I should have realised it wouldn't fit perfectly after the Renault 12 fanbelt didn't fit.

First issue was that at the engine end it has a mounting about 15mm wide as opposed to the 40mm of the old one.  After checking that none of my redundant sockets would fill the gap some steel tube was cut down as a spacer.

Next issue was that the mountings were about 10mm closer together than the old one.  This is going to be tricky to solve properly but a bodge will be employed to check everything else works before I start any engineering.

Strangely the 1310 fanbelt is too short and the R12 fanbelt is too long.

Wiring will need a bit of love.

20230819_144534.thumb.jpg.265110a74f28467739ac11ab2c8ce406.jpg

While looking for the belt I found my stock of old car stereos.

An old Grundig with Skoda branding appears to work as a radio in the XM.

20230819_163014.thumb.jpg.d648f8da99baaed57ffc01ae72eb6e49.jpg

Can't remember what it came with as I've never owned a Skoda!  I do remember that the cassette deck is dead as I bodged the wire from some old headphones into it for MP3s, phones etc but it doesn't appear to work.  Radio is better than nothing though.