Cats clapped out Cars. Wafting North

catsinthewelder

I had a topic for my fleet years ago which fell by the wayside in favour of the News 24 thread.  As the fleet reaches silly proportions perhaps its time for another go.  So in order of acquisition;

93 Discovery.  Part ex'ed for the BX of many shitters with Dollywobbler several years ago it was the ex's daily till we moved house before shearing a caliper off just before an MOT was due.  I have the caliper but can't see that I'll get the welding done anytime soon.  For sale I suppose, cheaply if you promise to at least try and resurrect it ;)

94 Peugeot 405  I've wanted one of these in diesel estate form for years and bought my first roffle ticket hoping to win it.  I didn't and it had a complicated string of owners before turning up slightly broken and nearby.  I dropped everything to buy it (and had to sell my lovely Nissan Cherry).  I've still not got to the bottom of the fault but have an almost foolproof work around for the 80% of the time that it doesn't start from the key.  I broke the sump on it the same week as the Disco broke leading to an emergency Vauxhall purchase and over a year on SORN trying to get it sorted out but its back on the road now sharing daily duties with the modern Ford.

IMG_20190213_143319179.jpg

1990 Dacia 1310

Theres a couple of threads about this on the forum and a lot of Hubnut videos of the trip back from Romania and subsiquent tinkering.  It really looked after us on the trip somehow covering 4000kms with loads of things wrong with it that then all bit me on the arse when we got back.  Not far from a UK MOT and finally running well.

Romanian Rides.jpg

1995 Rover 220SLi

Owned by a ridiculous number of shitters who have spent far more than its worth preserving it means I've got to try and get it going again.  I won it in a roffle with 6 weeks MOT left and a good few faults then rather stupidly sold the 214 that had 6 months test leaving it as my only working car.  Unfortunately the MOT deadline arrived and I parked it up for a few weeks to deal with Xmas etc and haven't been able to start it since.  It has a new exhaust system in its wrapping inside as I don't want to dismantle it till it starts again (risk of causing another fault) so slightly stuck.  Will try and clean up the crank sensor soon as it could be the culprit.  Once the exhaust is done it should just need a new windscreen to gain an MOT.  As I'm over capacity if anyone wants to take this on as a going concern get in touch.

IMG_20181125_134028755.jpg

Focus 1.6D  With a weeks MOT remaining on the Rover I was a little stressed about how to get about.  So when my dad offered me his old Focus for next to nowt (Its got airbags so the kids will be safe) I sadly took it on and can't really get rid of it.  Its been a blessing in many ways getting me about during a stressful year but tends to require garage repairs which mean big bills.  This year its had a fluid service, rear shoes and fitting kit and a droplink done by me and a cambelt/waterpump kit, 4 injectors resealed and 2 wheelbearings done by the garage.  It has been on only car duties most of the year until a friend kindly collected the 405 from Scotland for me.

focus 1.png

If that lot wasn't enough I won a roffle last week and am now the proud owner of

93 Renault Safrane V6.  Collected last night I wasn't planning on being a long term owner but its really nice so that plan could change.  Floatylight has kindly fixed the wipers so attention can now turn to changing the ATF to cure the gearbox fault and tracing the power steering leak.  First though I need to sort out the rear door latch as it popped open a couple of times on the drive home much to the annoyance of my daughter who had to hold it shut for 40 mins.  Hopefully a stripdown and lubricate job should sort it but I'll fit some kind of safety chain for the next few weeks as if the door got dented it would be tricky to replace.

happy to see a dedicated thread for your fleet as I enjoy reading about your cars/fleet when you do post about them in other threads :)

(side note: happy to see the rover of many shitters is still around, I wonder how many keepers its up to on the V5 and how it compares to the Jag of many shitters? :) )

It needs to come down fairly soon Mo before I get lynched by the neighbours ?. Definitely up for a tinkering session, just need to find spare time.

Bollox Rover shows 16 former keepers 15 of which are shitters but 3 of them are Phil-lip ?.  I think a couple more have used the trade slip so don't show up.

Tempted to enquire about the Rover, but I'm kind of hoping my old 218D may become available in a few months, and really want that back too. I have an R8 addiction! 

Good thread though, always refreshing to read about someone who keeps their cars rather than keep swapping / selling. 

Please no new holes in the car to fit that safety chain? The power steering leak comes from the pipes at the bottom of the reservoir according to ScaryoldCortina, wasn't able to confirm that as it was roffled shortly after the MOT. As I mentioned before the power steering pump was rebuilt by the previous owner, maybe a hose clip is lose around there as well?

Isn't that quite an early Disco with those decals? It's the right sort of colour, right number of doors. I would speculate that this is exactly the wrong time to sell it. Early Disco's are bound to climb rapidly at some point as the Defenders get ever more out of reach. The 200's are known for being tough as old boots too so I'm sure they'll always demand a premium over the 300's in the end. If it hasn't got sunroofs fitted it'd be even more desirable.

10 hours ago, rusty998 said:

How much welding does the disco need ?

It's had both sills to a decent standard and I patched up the front and rear inner arches on the nearside.  So both inner arches on the offside need doing and the boot floor/ rear cross member.  Both bumpers are rusted through and I suspect problems above the headlining ?

I can safely say that the rotor arm in the Rover was not nicked from a ,possibly early 70's, Land Rover that had been rotting in a local scrapyard for 15 yrs at least ............ I'm lying through my teeth though as it was and is most likely the culprit after it wouldn't start for me and left me in the shit, or it may be the coil behind the passenger headlight which looked a bit dodgy too 

Happy to help fettle the Rover with my extremely limited skills. Pretty sure I've got a spare rotor arm and a coil knocking about somewhere in this house, although likely they won't be compatible, cos K series.. I'll do some Rimmering  (matron) before I come, can always pick up some bits from there in person to save on foolish postage costs.. I'm due a trip out soon for some servicing bits for my T-series.  I'll pick up a crankshaft sensor too. No costs to you involved, as all parts recyclable if they don't get used. Anything else it needs do you know ?

Wow, thanks guys.  I was just about to order a £3.99 rotor arm from ebay but remembered that I do have some spares for this car so best have a look through them first. It appears to fit every petrol vehicle made in the UK in the 90s from the Metro and 216 to the Lotus Elise and Morgan +4 by way of LDV and Land Rover ?

Yes the 220 must live, its just fighting for fettling time with rather too many others.  Being as the Renault is taxed I really should be using it so sorting out the back door, PAS leak and autobox need doing.  The Dacia needs sorting too, I'm a bit cross with myself that its missed all the shows this year.  I need to get it MOTed ready to be out next year.

I have a couple of HBoL's for the 220, a 25/ZR issue for some of the body and a 620 issue for the engine.  My friend that bought the 214 ordered a 214 book without checking and got the R8 rather than R3 issue so we were supposed to swap but he has misplaced it.  I rarely find them useful tbh so haven't pushed the issue.

The Disco is very tractor like compared to anything else I've owned, this is handy as I'm used to tractors lacking effective brakes.