Perjoe 405 1.6GL of several shiters

Iamgroot

The lights drove me crazy straight away, so I attacked them with chrome vinyl wrap..IMG_20190821_163232748.thumb.jpg.236f23332e9127ffe6bd9e029a30c15c.jpg

Pulled apart..IMG_20190821_163057853.thumb.jpg.a8bad51807414358e50657706b4812f9.jpg

IMG_20190821_163101674.thumb.jpg.39d44f0f4e2549485e62a57e5933e620.jpg

Wrapped and refitted one..

IMG_20190821_175325004.thumb.jpg.ee71102ce2a3e5c0f8cdae54afb1155b.jpg

IMG_20190821_175646382.thumb.jpg.5e966b61df389b1754889a5aeaa25a3e.jpg

Then the other..

IMG_20190824_173303585.thumb.jpg.b2af78fd332992be2e76d7392a6149b1.jpg

Definitely better, also pulled the air vents out of the centre of the dash and repaired them and refitted them.

And got the clock light changed, so that's working now.

And got a new repeater for the wing in what I call the "lollipop delete"

It's got a bit of a miss/judder that's barely perceptible but exists under load under 2000rpm, I'm gonna sort this because this car is actually great and I'm really enjoying driving it.

Excellent.  Lights looked a treat, I honestly thought you'd put new ones in.

Pleased to see it getting some use.  Sort those tyres out please, it's not good in the wet and scared me silly more than once.

@davehedgehog31

13 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

@loserone what is the story behind "second best 405?" I left it on the screen, after all it is a merit badge, but didn't know who put it there, I forgot to ask yesterday

IMG_20190821_150225543.jpg

It was from the North East Shiters Meet a wee while back. This was on mine;

405twix.thumb.jpg.1f59eec6457f65d1f100f211003df483.jpg

Glad to see the white one getting a bit of appreciation. It suffers cosmetically for being a car from Ayr all it's days, but it drives absolutely lovely. Good job on the lights!

It's a bit of a forum bike now. To fill in it's story, it seems to have been purchased by a guy in Ayr about 1995ish. It was owned by him until he sold it in 2018. The guy I purchased him bought it from the long term owner but never done anything with it. It had a very short MOT and was running like shit. From there I got it MOT'd and it went to SpinyNorman, then Jim Bell, then LoserOne, then Cavcraft and now yourself! 

My post when I collected it;

7 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

It was from the North East Shiters Meet a wee while back. This was on mine;

405twix.thumb.jpg.1f59eec6457f65d1f100f211003df483.jpg

Glad to see the white one getting a bit of appreciation. It suffers cosmetically for being a car from Ayr all it's days, but it drives absolutely lovely. Good job on the lights!

It's a bit of a forum bike now. To fill in it's story, it seems to have been purchased by a guy in Ayr about 1995ish. It was owned by him until he sold it in 2018. The guy I purchased him bought it from the long term owner but never done anything with it. It had a very short MOT and was running like shit. From there I got it MOT'd and it went to SpinyNorman, then Jim Bell, then LoserOne, then Cavcraft and now yourself! 

My post when I collected it;

Ahhh! Thanks for that! Me and my mate were working out a fake history for it to put in the window at car shows for a laugh, in our story it was originally won by a woman called Elsie Dorricott who lived in Coventry for a winning "Kit-e-kat caption competition" then when she died, Sadly only 6 months later, bequeathed to the guy from the dealership she picked it up from (Jim Morrison, an ex rootes group mechanic, turned salesman) as he said he would buy it from her if she ever sold it. He sold it immediately and went on holiday to Bordeaux, there's more but I'll save you from it, don't worry...

To get my hesitation/missiness sorted out on as small a budget as possible, who has put what on this car in their custody? Can I pull this information into this thread? Don't want to play parts darts on my budget..

@davehedgehog31 @Spiny Norman @Jim Bell @loserone 

I know Cavcraft didn't really even touch it so I haven't tagged him.

43 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

To get my hesitation/missiness sorted out on as small a budget as possible, who has put what on this car in their custody? Can I pull this information into this thread? Don't want to play parts darts on my budget..

@davehedgehog31 @Spiny Norman @Jim Bell @loserone 

I know Cavcraft didn't really even touch it so I haven't tagged him.

Brake pipes (not flexis)

Thermostat housing (used)

Thermostat (used)

LH headlight bulb (used)

Tap water in cooling system (not used)

19 hours ago, Iamgroot said:

I'm in negotiation for some 15" steelies off a 206 with Uniroyal rainsport tyres, need some suitable wheel trims though if I go that route

Thanks for the compliment on the lights, Not sure if my vinyl wrap will last, but I'll keep you posted.

I have a set of BMW wheel trims which might look good, obviously remove the badges.. 

10 minutes ago, 320touring said:

This is a lovely old tub - I helped mr hedgehog31 with some of the work when he owned it. Drives lovely and seems to have landed with the correct custodian 

Good work on what you have done so far - keep it up!

Thanks, let's hope it has! Unfortunately this will not be a high budget thread so expect to see much thriftiness, not much excites

I really liked this old heap and was getting quite worried about its promiscuity within the group but it's good to see it getting more love. Those headlights look so much better although weirdly the old dull ones spread a fair amount of light onto the road.

I think everyone who's ever driven it in the wet will agree, +1 on getting the front tyres changed, they really ruin the handling of what was one of the most chuckable 80s repmobiles out there.

To that end, I got the tracking done, and replaced the exhaust from the cat back.  I tidied up the interior a bit, refitted the centre console so it didn't move when you changed gear and fixed* the driver's side door mirror.