Electric Vehicle conversions - the shite end

garethj

The EV thread has moved to the Modern forum, not unreasonably because there weren’t many before 2010.  This thread is for people with a soldering iron, a 0-20V voltmeter and the smell of old Scalextric motors in their nostrils.

Not necessarily those who are actually making them, it’s a place for those who want to talk about it too.

This one is a bloke who’s using a Lexus hybrid motor in a Fiat 126.  Nice because he’s doing it in the UK and because he’s not just swayed by ludicrous mode in a Tesla (I am, a bit)

https://www.matthewdresser.com/ev/conversion/fiat-126p-introduction

This is one that someone sent me, he’s got a YouTube channel but looks like a cool project into an old Beemer

Ive had a book called 'Build your own Electric Vehicle' by Bob Brant for years. I bought in California in the early noughties- the self build EV scene has been massive there since the oil crisis.

It's an excellent read.

Hopefully we'll see the arrival of affordable motors and controllers, as that was the barrier to this before.

1 hour ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I vote for a EV Invacar.

*dodges thrown headgaskets*

s-l1600 (10).jpg

:) 

milk floats aside?, electric invalid vehicles must of been one of the most common electric cars on the road back in the 1920s-1970s

although funnily enough Invacar themselves never made an electric invalid vehicle

1 minute ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Someone shoehorn a Tesla's system into an Invacar.  

the closest I have seen to that, is this slightly* modified enfield 8000 https://www.flux-capacitor.co.uk/

its the same age as the last of the Electric Tippen Deltas :)

865661abe647cf47db6249e7c6567afc.jpg

(there where some on a P plate, but I dont have any picture of those sadly)

U.toob has a broad range of 'projects'

Megga slick, Tesla motor/battery 're engined' classics... Porsche or the like..

Garage 'home brew' Chevy pu truck, forklift motor (craigslisted) and various battery options.

Frankly, the 'F1 slick ray-ban' tech hippies making a bomb selling re engineered 'claysiccs' to guys who already have a new gen Mustang and a BIG BOAT.. not my bag.

I'm drawn into the ingenuity/novel solutions worked out by the FluxCapacitor 'Docs', genuinely interested in reaching 55mph on the way to daily jobs  :)

19 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Saw this Trabant in Varazdin, Croatia a few days ago...

Not sure exactly how many miles on a full charge.

20190829_113149.jpg

20190829_113205.jpg

This is more like tooSavvy's style of electric car. It's used daily* to deliver balloons from one end of the market to the other. He's had to stop halfway through the journey to recharge.

* Summertime deliveries only, expect delays if cloudy.

19 hours ago, bigstraight6 said:

I know it’s the future but I still don’t want it, I’d rather listen too, smell, and feel what it’s like to drive a fossil fuelled vehicle. I can’t imagine my Zodiac or Triumph 2000 would have any appeal to drive sounding like a golf cart or old electric milk float. 

That’s fine.  Although by the same token there are plenty of cars old and new that have dire engines in them.

Saying an electric vehicle has to sound like a golf cart isn’t quite right either, it’s like saying every petrol engine is like a Ferrari V12 from Enzo’s personal Daytona.