Trigs new project - Granada Scorpio

trigger

That is top quality right there. Even 30 years down the line, that fully lit up dashboard manages to look futuristic. Does the joystick for the speakers still work as it should? 

It is also a pretty good sign that it all it took to start up was a jump start after standing for around ten years. Really looking forward to seeing you get this back in good shape and on the road.

29 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Was the lucky fairy at your birth as I cannot believe how you manage to find such excellent buys.

Keep us updated, winner at next years FOTU?.

A lot of people say that! I don't know to be honest, Just have a eye for nice, honest cars i guess. If I've still got it then I'll be taking it to FotU but i won't be entering the concourse, it's far too posh!

14 minutes ago, Brodders said:

That is top quality right there. Even 30 years down the line, that fully lit up dashboard manages to look futuristic. Does the joystick for the speakers still work as it should? 

It is also a pretty good sign that it all it took to start up was a jump start after standing for around ten years. Really looking forward to seeing you get this back in good shape and on the road.

It does still work! It's a little crackly but it does it's thing. 

10 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

I've had about 3 or 4 of these Grannies, they are brilliant things, so comfy too. 

Looking forward to the resto.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

This is amazingly comfortable, i haven't sat behind the wheel of one for 20 years but it reminded me why i used to like them so much back then, it owes me £460 delivered, I'm not sure if that's cheap or not but at the time i didn't know if it would run or what the nearside and rear end even looked like so i was buying blind as such.

Brilliant! Looks a lovely lovely car and I think you got a bargain there. It bodes well that it started up so easily! I guess the previous owner was a cat lover...

I very nearly bought a J reg saloon version of this in silver. It had absolutely everything on it too but insurance was steep as at the time I’d not had my license long and my indecision lost me the car in the end. This was probably in about 2003ish. Something I always regret!

Well done trigger another epic save there, I got offered a early C reg White 2.0 GL model when I was just 14 years old back in 1997 for £20! Sadly I had no where to keep it so had to turn it down along with the Yellow Metro City X they had, but have always admired them since. Look forward to seeing your future progress with it.

Nice work Trig!  And you were only saying recently how you wanted a family-type car to replace the van... lo and behold, one pops up!  You must have Lucky Lips (Cliff Richard song from the early 60s, for those too young to know!).  My late friend Dave had three or four of these, 2.0 and 2.9.  He liked them a lot.  I hope you can be very happy with it.

now i wonder if it was Bristol st birm or shirley?
iirc this should do the thing where the electric windows stay live when you open the drivers door after taking key out of ign
Bristol Street apparently.

99fc9e88f205825014608b0a32f2edd5.jpg

To be honest this is a bit newer than I was looking for but it will certainly do for now and at least I'll be able to take the family to shows with me now, something I haven't been able to do since I sold the SD1. What I have to decide will be what to do with the arches and sills, both arches are rusty and the both sills have been welded up along the bottom, if the car was worth more money when looking nice it be worth getting them replaced but it's still a low value car so if I chuck £1000 at it would I see it back again?

That's something I'm going to have to think about once it's mechanical sorted and cleaned up I guess.

If you're worried about making a loss, don't do anything to the sills and arches beyond a clean, you'll be unlikely to see your money back as these haven't appreciated in the same way as the smaller Sierra and the mileage will put most off.  A shame, really, they're one of the nicer Ford offerings from the period, a nice sensible comfortable car built moderately well and suitably appointed.  The Sierra seems to overshadow them a lot, people remember the Granada either side of the Mk3 and forget these existed, even the sporting versions don't get that much attention comparitively.  Not really sure why, perhaps they're just a bit too much An Car for most?