Dollywobbler's Indian Takeaway

dollywobbler

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Oh wow. Have just learned that there is no separate rear washer. Apparently you hold the fronts on until the rear joins in. That's deliciously half-arsed!

That's mental, has any other car ever done it that way ? :D

As said earlier, if Rover had sold this at Dacia type prices they may have had a hope. The more I see it though the more I do Iike the looks, it's just a very clean shape.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Oh wow. Have just learned that there is no separate rear washer. Apparently you hold the fronts on until the rear joins in. That's deliciously half-arsed!

What? Is it actually built like that or is it knackered? I'm thinking some sort of valve that gets overwhelmed and allows water to escape from the other outlet?

I remember Rover making a big deal out of the fact that 800 hatchback rear wiper operated if you engage reverse with the front wipers on.

Wow! What added value and prestige that £2.99 relay ads to the car.

2 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I remember Rover making a big deal out of the fact that 800 hatchback rear wiper operated if you engage reverse with the front wipers on.

Wow! What added value and prestige that £2.99 relay ads to the car.

Until someone told me it was meant to do that, I thought my 800 was just exhibiting the usual electrical issues.

My Corolla operates the rear wash in the same fashion, except Toyota also added a wash position in the rear wiper switch, meaning that both front and rear wash buttons do exactly the same thing. Plus you get through about half a litre of screen wash on the front before the rear kicks in as the line drains out afterwards.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:22 PM, EssDeeWon said:

I forgot these existed until earlier this year when I passed one on the M25, inside lane doing 40 tops and in light met green.

Interested to hear / see more on this beast.   That Picasso would have potentially made some interesting hubnut viewing though.  Definitely picked the right car though. 

If this doesn't end up with Doctor Pandemonium one day then this place isn't what it used to be. 

no, no, no, we simply MUST NOT let Dr Roverkiller near this little chap ?

By heck it's nice around here.

EEwf1sdXUAAgkRw.jpg

Things I like

The styling, especially the arse.

The torque.

The low waistline - you can actually see out of it!

Things I dislike

The ride - too firm. Stiffened by Rover.

The steering - too quick. Quickened by Rover...

The terrible wiper design and shambolic column stalks.

As a potential solution to eradicate or at least minimise the triangle of doom, could the wiper arms be rotated a spline or maybe 2 on their spindles? The passenger one will eat into the triangle and the driver's one clear more of the area near the A-pillar. Or even add an inch or 2 to the driver's side blade?

• 2 weeks later...

After being scared by weather reports, I took the CityRover on the 50-mile Mach Run today.

EFpHog-XUAEUG1p.jpg

Apparently, you're meant to show your engines off. Mine doesn't have any turbos though. It wasn't a classic car run, just a car run, so absolutely anything was welcome.

Mk3 Transit Executive RS! 

70964607_10157717121793200_7723514103553

Espero! (19,000 miles from new, was also at the Retro Rides Gathering)

70963777_10157717182313200_5838117657831

Weather did thankfully improve, and it was a nice run out, though the CityRover's tiny fuel tank is annoying. The fuel light comes on after 200 miles, so it's had two fills within a week. As has the 2CV...

I reckon I must be getting on for 1000 miles in the CityRover. It's a bonny little thing really. Only had some mild aquaplaning at times today - fresh tyres to be fitted next year if I'm keeping it.

Did about 300 miles in this today. Conclusions:

45mpg isn't bad, but 200 miles to the fuel light coming on is. I also keep forgetting that the fuel flap release spring is broken, so I have to wedge the lever up.

The ride is bloody terrible. Would be very interested to try a Tata Indica without the Rover mods. Over concrete sections, it does not stop bouncing. Awful.

The seats, which feel like they should be uncomfortable, somehow are not.

Motorways are great. It's pretty peaceful bar some road roar, and you don't have to change gear. Bonus!

The gearchange still sounds horrendous.

The indicator stalk makes a 2CV one feel as robust as that in a W123. It's pathetically shit.

The wipers are out in the breeze, so wash the windscreen at speed and they dribble screenwash over the screen for the next five miles.

Operate the washers at slower speeds and the triangle of doom effect takes over.

The huge windows and mirrors mean visibility is excellent.