Dollywobbler's Indian Takeaway

dollywobbler

I forgot these existed until earlier this year when I passed one on the M25, inside lane doing 40 tops and in light met green.

Interested to hear / see more on this beast.   That Picasso would have potentially made some interesting hubnut viewing though.  Definitely picked the right car though. 

If this doesn't end up with Doctor Pandemonium one day then this place isn't what it used to be. 

On 8/26/2019 at 12:35 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Unless Tata fitted a self levelling mechanism in the lights and a headlamp wash system, then there's nothing borderline about how illegal  they are.

fully iilegal in lots of european countries - spain hate them - many euros fine if they see you with them - happened when bikes started being fitted with them

H4 ftw

5 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Things are getting a bit out of hand... Three hours of 'detailing,' and genuine MG Rover floor mats! 

EDPEZ79WkAI86OE.jpg

£3 from Rimmer Brothers.

The seats are still minging, but she's looking alright I reckon. Rolled in glitter for sure.

thought at first glance you had a roof rack #pineappled

9 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Bargain. I like the deep pile mats I've got (and had since the silver laguna) but id replace them with genuine for £3! I bet @Lord Sterling is making a basket up full of car mats for cars he doesn't own as we speak! 

Nope, waiting for RAC to come and check the non-starting Micra.

I've seen the mats that were supplied for the MG6, they were just universal jobbies with Rover packaging. Not saying they are for the CityRover but I wouldn't put it passed Rover when at the time theu were close to closing and probably cutting costs down massively.

CityRover looks good albeit a bit dated by the time it came out. They seem really unloved so its great to see some love being given to this example. I'll keep a look out for wheel trims. Might have some late Rover 25 trim in my garage in Telford.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I spent £60 including delivery and got:

Rear trailing arm

Bottom balljoints

Washer pumps

Nearside front door card (too posh, contains velour)

Passenger wiper arm

Front mats

Boot mat

Exhaust downpipe

Two door release mechanisms

Instrument cluster 

Parts were a fiver, rest was postage. Rimmers certainly know how to charge on postage. Luckily for me they're less than a tenner away on petrol, so I happily drive up there of a Saturday morning and collect bits meself.

Well bought - both car and parts.  Do you fancy some NOS mudflaps that I've inexplicably still got cluttering up my loft?  No rears but THREE front flaps (2x nearside, 1x offside).  Doesn't look like they'll fit a car with sideskirts, so yours is the ideal candidate.  Part no. = XPT000075ACA.

Price would be basically zero, though Jersey Post will want a few quid to get them from me to you.  This may or may not be cheaper than Rimmer Bros, assuming they also have these in stock.

cr-flaps.thumb.jpg.9b796c8fdf0c8b798ecf91bc733466d8.jpg

Thanks, but it would need some bodywork repairs before they could be fitted, so that can be filed under 'will probably never happen.'

Having now covered over 300 miles in the CityRover, I can confirm that every gearchange sounds unpleasant. I think it's probably just a tired clutch release bearing, but maybe this is the 'crap gearchange' reviewers always mentioned back in the day? The lever feels ok, but the noises do cause you to cringe a bit. Also, the flappy indicator stalk is a pain in the arse.

It does get a merry shift on though, and feels much nicer to drive at slow speeds than a Daewoo Matiz.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, Wingz123 said:

SURELY, changing the clutch/release bearing and having it all apart in this is never worth doing?

I'm certainly in no rush to attempt surgery.

But, I did have a nice time taking it to Chumley for the 'nowhere near 1000 classic cars' event, and many an Autoshiter enjoyed a spin around the field in it. Apols to Catsinthewelder for forgetting about the immobiliser, but he's a man used to non-starting vehicles and had it sussed in no time.

Drive home was jolly too.

EDZtjGiXsAA8FFD.jpg

The gearchange graunch is annoying, and it also did seem to drink rather more petrol than I thought appropriate. I haven't done a fill-to-fill, but I did slosh 21 litres in, and it's used all that and more to cover almost 200 miles. That's comfortably below 45mpg then.

But, despite the firm seats, it's actually quite comfortable and it does zip along nicely. I've now ordered up a rear wiper motor and a brochure, so that'll tip it over £300 in total, including the £60 of stuff I mostly didn't need from Rimmer Brothers. Overall, I still like it. Naturally, it doesn't feel one bit like a Rover, but at this age, I reckon it stacks up well enough against its rivals of the time. 

On 8/30/2019 at 3:22 PM, EssDeeWon said:

I forgot these existed until earlier this year when I passed one on the M25, inside lane doing 40 tops and in light met green.

Interested to hear / see more on this beast.   That Picasso would have potentially made some interesting hubnut viewing though.  Definitely picked the right car though. 

If this doesn't end up with Doctor Pandemonium one day then this place isn't what it used to be. 

I'm a changed man now, I've had this current car nearly a month... Oh, wait... 

On 8/30/2019 at 3:40 PM, beko1987 said:

Just like the Honda engined ones that never throw a HG, isn't that right @RobT

Sssh! 

36 minutes ago, TripleRich said:

Amazing rimmers hold stock for these including metalwork.  If you need a sill it comes with a bit of excess metal...

1624577072_CityRover.thumb.JPG.e999992c5eeb4fe277c8418bce28827a.JPG

Hope they continue to hold onto the MG Rover stuff.  I'll be restoring these in another 20 years, those panels will come in handy.

Do they have enough bits for you to be able to build one for us ?

Mine catches and crunches the gears changing down from 4th to 3rd. Remedied by pausing in neutral before engaging 3rd, or doubling the clutch. You'll be putting a new clutch in it to cure that problem, and even then it still won't be great. Do your gear linkages make a squeaky rattle when driving too?

No squeaky rattles, just a quiet meshing sort of a noise when clutch is depressed or changing gear, and a crunch if third is rushed. 

Today, I drove from Tiverton to home in the Invacar, but that wasn't the major achievement of the day. This was!

EEB2GIwXsAEh0w0.jpg

Yes, rear wiper installed and functional. Can't seem to operate the washer. Not even sure how you do that. Also looked at the non-working HRW and rear fog lamp. HRW was just a missing fuse. Fog lamp is more mysterious. Pressing the button does nothing, so I wonder if the relay or switch are to blame. I tried swapping relays but all that managed to do was put the engine management light on. Despite labelling, the relays for fog lamps and HRW clearly have other uses too...