Dollywobbler's Indian Takeaway

dollywobbler

Naturally, I think there are great;

1124722139_18thNov18(15).thumb.jpg.a9896e2269abfcb19f9fa4486014fe55.jpg

I'm on my second.

Charging new car prices for something that was out of date when launched was where they fell down, it was already the best part of six years old when it arrived in the UK with Rover. Other than that, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it as a car.

It's been saddled with carrying the baggage of the whole MGRover collapse, and there'll never be any getting away from that now for the CityRover. Its card is marked, and many people can't see beyond that.

This is where you need to be careful of new car reviews; when it costs six grand you have to consider the competition carefully.  When it costs the same as a cheap mobile phone then you aren’t bound by the same judging criteria.

It also now depreciates less than a cheap mobile phone which isn’t something you could say about it originally 

Mmm thing is it's from the era of TopGear when it was allegedly cool to knock Rover & make "funny" comments about it's cars.

I don't doubt the Panda was better value (& a much better car probably) but to be honest I think TopGear had decided the Rover was crap & that it would be "hilarious" to say it was crap before they even drove it.

It wouldn't have been good TV (in their opinion) if they'd said it was any good.

The one I drove brand new seemed extremely average to drive. Hardish ride, gruff engine, slightly clonky gearchange, tolerable refinement.  The interior didn't look like any real effort went into the design stage. Even if the 25 was dated it looked like it had a cohesive design. In the City Rover the trim seemed to be from different cars. The only unifying factor was its cheapness. 

When the press was speculating before its launch the renderings gave it the corporate 4 headlight look and Rover 25 alloys. When it actually emerged the collective reaction was "is that it" 

21 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

It does look very tidy for the money, despite the windscreen. It would make for an interesting comparison against the Matiz.

Is there potential for fitting a rear wiper from a higher spec breaker? Just for shits and giggles.

They all had them. This one has just had it removed.

So, some twat fitted an HID kit to this at some point. They did a great* job, as the dipped beam comes on with the main, and vice versa. Didn't notice until the first time I went for main, and the lamps dropped... Amazed no-one flashed me.

The original bulbs are in the glovebox, so I think I'll ditch the HID (borderline legality?) posthaste.

But it was a joy to drive it last night, even with the dicky thermostat. 

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

The original bulbs are in the glovebox, so I think I'll ditch the HID (borderline legality?) posthaste.

if you dont plan on keeping the HID kit for anything else

is any chance I could blag the old HID ballasts and Bulbs off of you?

have always wanted a Automotive HID kit to mess around with :)

(this is the lightbulb side of me talking, dont worry im not about to fit HIDs to an Invacar :mrgreen: )

Monogram on one of these would have been interesting. One to never leave the pages of the brochure perhaps? They were all painted in the factory in Pune, so the colours they did come in had no direct Rover equivalents anyway. They were all Tata colours. Not that they did a bad job, they chose some very nice colours and the paint finish on them when new was impeccable.

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

if you dont plan on keeping the HID kit for anything else

is any chance I could blag the old HID ballasts and Bulbs off of you?

have always wanted a Automotive HID kit to mess around with :)

(this is the lightbulb side of me talking, dont worry im not about to fit HIDs to an Invacar :mrgreen: )

Best me to it, always fancied having a play with one of these setups.

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Best me to it, always fancied having a play with one of these setups.

well its a pair of headlamps (I Hope! tho it would not be surprised if someone's been running around with 1 halogen head lamp and one HID headlamp)

so assuming DW wants rid of the, you can have 1 side and I can have the otherside :)

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

No probs with HID dibs. No use to me.

Cool :) ill let Zel chime in first and see what he wants to do, before I start firing off postal addresses or what have you

im happy for him to have the set of both lamps/ballasts if he wants them both :) 

I have always rather liked these Indian Rovers. There used to be one parked on a daily route and I thought it looked good in its Metallic light blue paint. Obviously, this was an opinion I kept to myself!  :) 

Always liked 'posh' well ecquiped cars or basic, utility vehicles. No middle ground for me!

53 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Probably easiest to send them over here whenever it's convenient (let me know what you'd like to cover postage and your time) and I'll then pass the second one on to LBF next time I see him or forward along with the other box of stuff I really need to send.

sounds good to me :) 

Rimmer Bros are having a clearance sale. CityRover bits for a quid in some cases. Bought a load of stuff I don't need for £60. Sadly, the sale doesn't include a rear wiper assembly, thermostat or wheel trims, but does include a passenger wiper arm, bottom balljoints, door handle mechanisms (which feel flimsy as hell), a rear suspension arm and some other bits I've already forgotten.

Progress.

EDN9Xj1WsAAzKPG.jpg

HID kit removed, so the headlamps now look better and also function correctly. I also replaced the thermostat, which wasn't quite as easy as I'd hoped - there's some weird bracket thing that gets in the way of the third nut. Coolant was MINGING, so gave it a flush (after bodging up my failed hose reel, FFS...)

Took her for a run, heater is now volcano hot, temp stays around the middle and I left her running until the fans cut in AND cut out again. Hoorah! 

MOT booked for Monday, Thought these two issues needed sorting before the test. Further work will naturally depend on the result...