Forgive me, Father, for I R TEMPTED

djoptix

Some customers of mine (industry not related) have a Sprinter minibus which hasn't moved in a year or so. It's a bit rusty in various places.

They let on today that they are going to scrap it, in fact they've already contacted a company but a) they couldn't find the premises and b) it's 3.8 tons so that company can't take it because it's over 3.5 tons.

They had been offered £250 for it and seemed quite pleased. I'm having naughty thoughts about buying it and turning it into a camper.

Obviously this is a bad idea... but how bad? Should I stop myself?!

no.

If i had the room (and cash of course) to do stuff like that, i'd be all over things like that.

Hell, i'd probably have a double decker stashed away ?

Worst case scenario, you buy it,save it from the scrapheap, do nothing with it or find out it's a lot further gone and not worth the effort and scrap it. It was going to scrap anyway. Losses would be minimal on the thing itself.

8 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Worst case scenario, you buy it,save it from the scrapheap, do nothing with it or find out it's a lot further gone and not worth the effort and scrap it. It was going to scrap anyway. Losses would be minimal on the thing itself.

This logic is impeccable. Get it bought, and pictures obv.

The SBMCC forum is a blast from the past! I was on one of the previous versions when I was converting the old Master back in the early 2000s, and the locals were a big help. Nice to see they're still going.

14 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

If it’s full of seats and logged as a mini bus you will have to weld up every patch of rust you can find, as being a mini bus the whole thing is a “prescribed area” on MOT. 

WCPGW? 

The old Master I converted had been an NHS patient minibus, I would have binned the seats but they'd been removed by the time I got my hands on it. I changed the body type on the V5 from Ambulance to Motorhome*. Would that not save him from the above?

*this was a long time ago, mind. No idea if DVLA allow you to just change this anymore...

4 hours ago, strangeangel said:

The old Master I converted had been an NHS patient minibus, I would have binned the seats but they'd been removed by the time I got my hands on it. I changed the body type on the V5 from Ambulance to Motorhome*. Would that not save him from the above?

*this was a long time ago, mind. No idea if DVLA allow you to just change this anymore...

Quite possibly yes! Soon as tester sees it’s full of seats they poke holes everywhere. Well, that is if it’s a rusty old transit you’re looking after ?

Nope, not at all, though I've now got it running and they are making noises about putting it in for an MOT. I'll pop some pictures up later. Sorry for lack of updates, got a ton of stuff going on at the moment.