Mercedes c180 parts cannon deployed

Ben_O

I seem to have acquired a c180.

It came into work and failed it's mot on a tyre and all solid brake pipes.

The existing custodian doesn't want to pay for it to be repaired so I cheekily offered scrap money and he accepted.

I can't say I am looking forward to replacing the brake pipes but it will be straight forward enough. The car is pretty tidy and should make an ideal replacement for my current daily.

I'll take some photos tomorrow once I have actually seen it properly. I've only taken a glance and at the time didn't expect it would end up mine.

Wish me luck!

Ben

Yes, I believe the same as in picture.

The one I have got is a 2000 W Reg and is the Elegance model.

Looking at eBay etc for sale cars, the Elegance seems to be quite well kitted but i wont know what mine has until I actually have a look tomorrow.

I'm told it drives well and the MOT history doesn't look too grim. The only reoccurring items seem to be for the brake pipes, a chip in the screen and a slight leak from the diff oil seal.

I'm not sure what they are like to live with to be honest. I have only ever had W201's and as I cant afford a nice one of those anymore, this will have to do.

Just need to sell my E46 now!

I had a black c180 elegance as my first car at college. Was a nice motor and certainly got attention because I refused to be the same as other college goers and drive fiestas/puntos/106's. Mine was a manual. 

It was me and my mate who had an e46 320d at college. People wondered what we did.....answer worked flippin hard!

Loved that car. The radiator developed a leak in mine but once replaced the car was as good as gold!

I owned a w202 C180 about 10 years ago and found it a nice car to own and drive, although obviously underpowered. Like most cars really, give it a check over and then service it regularly and it should serve you well. Keep an eye on rust, as that is the era when Mercs started to suffer serious problems. Although I believe the later ones were much worse.I seem to remember something about problems with oil leaks around the head meaning head gasket replacement, so might be worth keeping an eye on that too. Mine was a nice dark metallic green, rather than hearing aid beige. Lol.

My W201 190d is being collected by its new owner today, so Im now a non MB owner for a while at least.

I hope to remedy this at some point by acquiring a CL500.

Not sure what the owner is going to do next.

The garage where I work has been looking after this car for him for years now with regular servicing and repairs as needed so I am confident it will serve me well for a while at least.

Plan is to replace the brake pipes next week, do the tyre and then put it on the road right away.

As for the rust situation, it is starting to bubble slightly along the bottoms of the doors and there is some very slight tiny rust trails on the leading edges of both front wings, almost like stone chips but not.

No problem for me though as I am a panelbeater/painter and my role in the garage is classic car restoration so sorting any cosmetic issues with this won't be a problem.

Ill get some more photos in the morning when i have a bit more time to actually pull it out. I managed to start it up today and it sounds sweet so I am pleased.

I just wish it was another W201 :(

Cheers

Ben

1 minute ago, Fat_Pirate said:

Surprised an Elegance doesn't have AC, are you sure?  There's no specific button for it - just the 'EC' button to switch it off.

My dad’s ‘99 C200 Elegance has A/C. You rotate the thumbwheel for the heat to the fully cold position , then push down some  more and it’ll click onto A/C.

Perhaps it does have ac then. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I was just looking for an ac button. I suppose I could just look for the hoses under the bonnet which would confirm.

Thanks  for the mention of it though. I was quite disappointed at it not having it. 

Cheers

Ben

You were all right about the air con. It does have it and it works a treat. Ice cold. Brrrrrr.

Got some more pics this morning.

If I'm being really fussy, I'll repaint the bottoms of the doors all round and the whole nsr door as it is a little rusty around the door handle but it really could just be left for now. 

Cheers Ben 

20190821_082823.jpg

20190821_082830.jpg

20190821_082837.jpg

20190821_082848.jpg

20190821_082900.jpg

20190821_082916.jpg

20190821_082919.jpg

25 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

What an absolute bargain of the week!  Amazing what people just dispose of because it needs minor fettling for an MOT.  

Absolutely. Those W202s are nice cars. Think someone will have paid about £25K in real terms for that new. I see it has cruise control. It is worth checking the sills on these and, if you can, get Dinotrol (or similar) any where you can on/in the underside. As mentioned, these do like to rust.