Ben_O

Mercedes c180 mot failure bought. Wcpgw... er....yeah.....

The hanging onto gears when cold is to aid fast Cat heat up. They all do it. The starter is also a MB 'thing' and I really like it as I flick the key/press the button and then carry on doing whatever I was doing :)  The seats also always appear hard but remain comfortable forever on long journeys whereas a soft, comfortable seat initially leaves you wriggling around like you have piles on a long journey as that percieved comfort is merely an illusion.

Personally I find the seats cripple me on a long run hence the back rest cushion. Since I had my spine fusion last year I can't tolerate any pronounced lumbar support in a car seat. I took the Merc to France a few months back and I was virtually crying in pain until I put the full height cushion in.  Didn't know about the key thing, going to try that on mine 

Well it's still going well. Still no issues and it's quite a joy to drive.

I'm really liking it.

Only thing that did concern me was the fuel gauge. I brimmed it on Sunday and the needle read just over the full line.

I did 30 miles then 50 then 70 and it still read over the full line... I assumed that the sender had jammed and needed to be fixed so I went in search of it quickly after work. No access to it from under the seat or in the boot and I couldn't be bothered to get it up in the air so set off home.

Eventually after it ticked past 80 miles on the trip the needle moved onto the full line and by the time I got home, it was just under the full line so 83 miles achieved before the needle moved.

I'm sure it's working but just surprised that it didn't drop sooner especially as u have probably used between 2 and 3 gallons...

I'm starting to think more seriously about sorting the minor rust on the doors soon before the winter. Knowing me, I'll end up painting right down both sides of the car which of course means I may as well do the bonnet as well.

Cheers

Ben

Erratic/non reading fuel gauges is a well known W202 issue. Mine only read full after the first few miles when brimming the tank and then fell to zero. I just used the trip meter to keep tabs on when to fill up. There are twin saddle tanks and the sender can only be accessed from underneath. I looked into the cost of parts and decided to live with it. 

1300 miles achieved now and everything is going well.

Only thing that isn't working is the button in the ceiling that unlocks the doors. Bit of a pain as the doors lock as you pull away and when you stop to let someone in, they can't get in unless I lean over and open the door or open and then close my door which then will unlock all doors.  I need to have a look into that.

I have plans to perform a full service on it as the only proof I have it servicing is on the works system which shows it was last done in August 2018.

I have finally figured out the mpg after brimming it in Sainsbury's 2 weeks ago, doing 400 miles and then brimming it again yesterday in the same filling station and it works out as 32.60mpg which I don't think is too bad. That's a combination of steady flat cap driving and occasional foot down flat out style within the speed limit of course.

I'm still very pleased with it but I need to start making proper plans to sort the rust issues on the doors before they get too much worse. That of course means taking time off work which is difficult at the moment due to being so busy there.

Cheers

Ben

Sounds about right economywise- weirdly thebigger you go with merc engines, they only use slightly more fuel with each increment. On a long run that’s partly gearing as (at least on w210s) they lengthen the ratios as the engine size increases.

I managed to sort out the switch which locks and unlocks the doors by cleaning it with electrical cleaner and that now works.

Driving along Thursday night in howling wind and rain doing around 50mph and had a blow out. I managed to limp it to a nearby pub car park as we were on lanes so nowhere to stop and pull over and found the tyre unsurprisingly to be shredded.

Bollocks...

I couldn't fit the spare as the steel wheel uses shorter bolts than the alloy and they were missing from the toolkit so had to abandon ship and leave it there overnight.

I was actually on my way to collect my father in laws car to take it into work the next day for mot so at least I had a mode of transport.

Managed to track down 5 new shorter bolts friday morning  4 in Southampton and 1 in fareham so they were dispatched to me on the iow. Sadly the one from fareham didn't make it so i had to make do with 4. 

Back to the car friday evening. Pissing it down with rain still, I swapped over the wheels and was on my way.

New tyre ordered for just £24 All in which I'll fit myself on Monday.

Such fun...

I stupidly hadn't checked my toolkit. I have the tool roll containing a few screwdrivers and spanners, the Jack but no wheel brace or short bolts. I now have the bolts and will add a wheel brace to stop that happening again. There is a sticker on mine located on the plastic trim on the inside of the back panel that suggests the use of the short bolts when using the spare wheel.

Interestingly the spare had never been in the car ever. It was brand new so where the bolts went I have no idea.

Probably kept indoors for safe keeping....

15 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

Where are you mate? If your insurance doesnt cover it I have a chap in wiltshire that would do it for you - cant see where you are though....

On the isle of wight mate.

Thanks for the offer though. Just had a quote from national windscreen and they want £260 fitted which I thought was a bit high considering it has no sensors or electrickery at all in it.

The crack is now most of the way across the screen. It couldn't have stayed low though, it had to go diagonally across didn't it..

I'll have a ring around and check for cheaper offers. 

Cheers

Ben

It's been great! I still haven't replaced the screen which has now cracked right across.

That might be a job for the new year for it has now decided that it doesn't like to run at the moment.

I'm not yet sure of the issue. Christmas has got right in the way and I managed to borrow a car to do my running around so it's just sat.

Basically for no reason right out of the blue it now won't crank.

I got in it outside the house to go to work last Monday morning, ignition on, all lights up as usual fuel pump runs and relays click, turn the key to crank and nothing.... Just as if I hadn't turned to crank.

I tried locking an unlocking the car again and again, I tried using the key another way up, I checked it was in park and that was about it as I was now late for work.

Bugger. I hope it's something simple. 

8 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Leave battery terminal off for 20 mins/half an hour and see if it resets anything ....

Do you have the red and green flashy lights in the rear view mirror? When locking/unlocking?

I'll go and give that a try thanks!

Mine is a later one so doesn't have the led lights in the mirror. It also has the key that isn't really a key too but that seems to be operating the locks fine.

Cheers

Ben

1577438157051137947399.jpg

Next issue today but it was thankfully an easy fix.

Driving to work and the wiper stopped working  all it would do is sweep the centre 3rd of the screen and wouldn't park.

When I arrived, I moved it to the park position by hand and it was slack. Then all that would happen when switching it on was the motor making it's noise with no wipe.

Being a panoramic wiper, I hadn't the first clue what to do with it as there is no obvious way to remove the arm. Turns out the arm cones off with the motor so out it so came and revealed that one of the splined pivot points had come adrift so I tightened the nut, refitted it and all sorted.

Phew!