Mercedes c180 parts cannon deployed

Ben_O

Cheers all. The old lines are out and the new ones run. Just having a tea and then I'll fit the clips back and reassemble.

Managed to do it all without removing the tank, prop or exhaust so it won't pretty but more than good enough and they are routed the correct way so will be fine.

As for the rust beneath, it's an solid so I'll clean it up and treat it at some point.

Just want the mot today as it's the last day for a retest and I'm too tight to pay for another mot. Lol

2 hours ago, Ben_O said:

And there we have it. Mot passed!

Total spend including purchase price of the car itself....£118

YES!

Excellent, mine stands at 6 squid for the roffle ticket, 28 for the train fare and 54 for the bits for the MoT. Who said Mercs are expensive old bardges?

This has been pressed into daily use for a week now and I'm pleased to report that all is well.

The hard seats were a problem at first but I'm getting used to them. I guess I was spoilt by the big squishy French armchairs in my scenic that this replaced.

It runs and drives really well and the list of niggles is short and to be fair, mist are unimportant or just due to it being 19 years old!

The transmission seems to act up first thing when the engine is cold. It hangs onto each gear for too long resulting in excessive revving and a lurchy gear change but after 2 mins up the road, the engine reaches running tempreature and it behaves very well.

The brake warning light flickered on and off for the first trip after the mot but hasn't returned since so I'm calling that fixed. The brakes are very strong and work very well

Everything works as it should which is good news as I can't stand things not working on a car even if I don't need them to. If it's fitted, it must work.

Having said That, the a/c is temperamental. Sometimes it's ice cold and other times it doesn't seem to be as cold as it should. I'll get that checked. Not a major issue with winter approaching but I'd like it sorted all the same.

I would like to find a suitable stereo head unit for it. The Mercedes Benz audio 10 unit fitted sounds great but it's just a radio casette and I would prefer to have usb and a line in and preferably Bluetooth. I have been looking around but everything with those features has bright flashing lights which doesn't suit the car.

I haven't worked out economy yet but £30 unleaded gave me 200 ish miles of normal and occasional holigan driving in towns and country lanes so that's not bad.

Am in all, it quiet, composed, comfortable and generally enjoyable to pilot around.

Oh and I gave it a wash too!

Cheers

Ben

I find the seats in mine hard too, I have to use a back rest cushion. Autobox does exactly the same as mine when cold, apparently it's to aid warm up or something, but I was told it's meant to hang on to the gears longer. Mines on lpg thankfully as it's lousy on fuel, I'll be interested to see what yours does to the gallon. Mines only a four speed box and revs quite high at 70mph. It averages about 22mpg around town and about 26 on a run due to the higher revs. Luckily as lpg is 55p a litre here it means it's doing in effect 45 to 50mpg.  I'm jealous that's yours has Aircon as mine hasn't even though it's an elegance.

Oh ok, so it seems the gearbox issues are not issues afteral.  That's good to know.

Another thing I noticed is that when starting the engine, the crank function on the ignition is automatic so you just flick the key and it cranks itself but only for a few seconds which is usually plenty to fire Into life but sometimes when hot starting it doesn't cranks for quite long enough to fire and sometimes I nèed to repeat 2 or 3 times before it will fire.

That's irritating me

Mine is crap on fuel as well, would guess 20's around town. Haven't been on a decent run with it yet and the fuel leak when I filled it didn't help. 

I have gearbox issues as well, (5 speed autobox on this) sometimes flicking it quickly into N then back to D sorts it. 

No starting problems (crosses fingers) to note. 

This looks awesome.

When I'd just joined here I desperately wanted a Merc of this era but in estate flavour, I started a thread asking for advice and yet somehow by the end of the thread I'd bought a 25 year old Volvo  (How did that even happen?) 

Still like them lots, glad to be able to enjoy them from a safe distance through other peoples experiences, bravo.

Cheers everyone. 

The starter switch is definitely a feature rather than a fault. Holding it over doesn't allow for longer cranking either.

It's not often I need to start it from hot and it doesn't do it all the time anyway.

If it becomes a problem, I'll look into it.

The previous owner has been by with the locking wheel nut key as well as the tool roll and the book pack.

Sadly after looking through the book pack, I don't think it's for this car. The owners manual is for the 1994 range, the audio booklet is for a different unit to that which is fitted and the dealer network book is older than the car. Never mind.

The more I drive it, the more I believe that the cold gearbox issues are supposed to be as once the temp gauge gets a third of the way which only takes 2-3 minutes the box behaves smoothly and as expected.

2 people have asked to buy the car from me and I have been tempted. The offers I received would give me a very nice profit and I'm not mad enough about the car to discount that option.

Cheers

Ben

The hanging onto gears when cold is to aid fast Cat heat up. They all do it. The starter is also a MB 'thing' and I really like it as I flick the key/press the button and then carry on doing whatever I was doing :)  The seats also always appear hard but remain comfortable forever on long journeys whereas a soft, comfortable seat initially leaves you wriggling around like you have piles on a long journey as that percieved comfort is merely an illusion.