Insurance new driver MG TF

SherpaMog

57 minutes ago, SherpaMog said:

Footman says no, who is PBIS please? Helpful company though, gave me a couple names to try. 

did footman james say no to insurance because an MG TF is not a classic in their eyes or because of something else?

when I called them about insuring the invacar they said I had to have held a full driving licence for a year, but I dont know if that would be different if my mum was the policy holder etc

im also interested to see how you get on with PBIS :)

40 minutes ago, SherpaMog said:

Adrian flux quoted 1400 when he has done his test 

What the fuck? How? Is that with or without telematics because I paid £2000 in my first year WITH telematics for a 1.4 25. I looked at plenty of Fs and TFs and could never get them that cheap.

3 minutes ago, SherpaMog said:

No idea mate but that's the quote. I'm policyholder he is named driver. Includes recovery and some legal shit. 

Mmm, bit dodgy but fair enough. Remember, he won’t get his own no claims that way though, which helps massively in the years to come, car insurance wise.

Just be careful , insurance companies aren't stupid they've faced this situation many times , if they believe he's the main driver they'll void the policy in the event of a claim

it's up to you to make sure you've purchased a policy suitable for your needs , they're quite happy to take premiums for policies they'll never pay out on , money in the bank.

years ago I worked with a guy who'd just got his licence back after a 3 year ban for drunk driving , he turned up to work in a 2.0 mondeo the day after the ban ended , when I asked how much the insurance was he said £400 but all he'd actually bought was an ANPR pass because there's no way you get a premium that cheap after 2 drunk driving convictions and a 3 year ban.

Try Reiss Motorsport Insurance.

But if the boy isn't very old you are going to pay a big premium.

Insurance Fronting is something that the insurance companies WILL pull you up on but it's at your own risk ofc.

I have always found rover/mg cars to be relatively forgiving insurance wise, especially the 1.4 versions.

If you can't get insurance on a TF/F try a 214/MG Zr

4 hours ago, SherpaMog said:

Awww did your daddy not get you a car? 

Mine didn't actually, but I can own an extra one and insure my boy on it. Shove fraud where tongues don't tickle. 

I don't see quite why you feel it's necessary to make a personal remark.  I'm simply pointing out that fronting is illegal and that insurance companies have been clamping down on it for about a decade.  In the event of a claim, insurance would be invalid and the individual would be liable for any costs, as well as having insurance invalidated and face possible legal action.  Which I think we can all agree is not the desired outcome.

4 hours ago, SherpaMog said:

I haven't established who will use it most. 

In which case, you probably ought to establish that before you take out insurance.

45 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I don't see quite why you feel it's necessary to make a personal remark.  I'm simply pointing out that fronting is illegal and that insurance companies have been clamping down on it for about a decade.  In the event of a claim, insurance would be invalid and the individual would be liable for any costs, as well as having insurance invalidated and face possible legal action.  Which I think we can all agree is not the desired outcome.

In which case, you probably ought to establish that before you take out insurance.

I can't establish who will use it most because I don't know. He will be a named driver on my mother's golf and probably a named driver on one of my vans. 

I just want my heir and son to drive a coolish car. I can't see how being a named driver would make it illegal. Please elaborate. 

Naming your son as a registered driver isn't illegal.  What is illegal is fronting, as defined here by the RAC:

https://www.rac.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/guides/what-is-fronting

1938846736_ScreenShot2019-08-20at21_48_28.thumb.png.164e32cd5adae2a503fac07eea39e942.png

So yes, it is an issue if your son is the main driver of the vehicle.  And it is a criminal offence.

I'm not accusing you of trying to front, I'm just pointing out that the wording of your initial post suggests that an insurer might take a bloody good look at who is the main driver of the MG.

A couple of decades ago it was quite commonplace but insurance companies cottoned on and now insuring as a registered that is 17 and doesn't have a policy on another vehicle might well raise their suspicion.  Even if it is on an MGF.