10w/40 Engine Oil 5 L Amazon Prime £6.80 delivered

Aston Martin

4 hours ago, Bren said:

No doubt many cheapskate owners will be using this to top up their new audis and BMW's.

Compatible with VW505, BMW and MB229 though. Not long life, but if their new Audi's and so is consuming enough oil to need it, it certainly wont hurt them as a top up!

I was tempted to buy this for the Laguna oil change but the brand is a bit of a random one. Given Castrol is only £16, it's not a humongous difference to get a known quantity. Even if it's potentially the same. 

• 6 months later...

On a similar note, resurrecting this thread as there's a good deal on ebay for what seems like decent enough 20W50. XJ-S about to receive 10 litres (cost a mere £18.39 incl delivery), thirsty old cat. Incidentally my CLK still running nicely on the Silverhook stuff I picked up in August thanks to this thread, no discernible difference from pricey stuff, thanks for that tip-off. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303081766608

Screenshot 2020-02-28 10.08.37.png

14 minutes ago, BoggyMires said:

That's really thick, can't say I've ever put 20 in a motor. How does it perform when the temperature drops or do you just use it for Summer?

Performs fine although the XJ-S doesn't get much use in winter. The V12 always gets up to temperature quickly & fuel consumption seems just as bad across seasons irrespective of oil. Thicker oil keeps seepage to acceptable levels too, though if an XJ-S isn't leaking somewhere it's probably running dry! 

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, NigeT said:

More good oil deals today on fleabay c/o lubriagecarparts.  Just ordered 20 litres of 10w40 for 21.99 using the 20% off code. Next 2 and a half oil changes for the CLK now sorted, I've used this oil before & no complaints .   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303135413735

CHEAP OIL.png

Barg. Good seller too - I bought Mannol coolant and oil from them. 

On 2/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, 5speedracer said:

Depends on the car, older stuff from the 70's for instance were 20/50 from new. A 2000's 16v Jap probably 10/40.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

True - when I got my first car (at 16) in 1982, 20/50 was the thing pretty much everyone used and had been for a decade or more. 15/50 GTX & Duckhams was just starting to replace it though. 10/40 was around but that tended to be for fancier stuff and was de rigeur for Japanese motorcycles (as 20/50 tended to kill them unless worn out already). 

10/40 was coming in & becoming the norm on new cars during the 80's as engines got higher revving (plus things like 16v/turbo'd etc) and built to closer tolerances. 

The ECP Gulf oil bulk buy sounded good, I missed that one but am not needing any right now. Will keep an eye on that in future.