Gearbox in sump

Uncle Jimmy

Saab used a setup where the gearbox was directly below the engine, however they didn't share an oil supply.

Sure that more than one mechanic has drained the oil from the wrong one over the years.  Inspire of the big stamped wording next to the sump plug saying "engine oil drain" with an arrow pointing at it.

12 hours ago, Nibblet said:

Was pondering the A series BMC unit today, specifically the Mini version with gearbox in sump and wondered of any other manufacturers used that set up? 

I think I'm right in saying that some Leyland 'O' series engines used it, can't think of anything else.

Almost every four stroke motorbike engine of the modern era.

Bikes originally had a separate engine and gearbox, two strokes, Moto Guzzi's and  flat twin BMW's still do. The Japanese popularised 'gearboxes in sumps' but I'm pretty certain they wouldn't have been the first to use this system in bikes.

14 hours ago, Cheezey said:

How odd. As was waking up there I was thinking about A series engines and trying to list in my head everything they came in. 

That's the kind of thing I like to think about in bed. Must be my age...

The Datsun 100A was a transverse FWD job, can't find out whether it was box in sump though. 

52 minutes ago, xtriple said:

I always thought it was most impressive that they got an auto gearbox to work on engine oil (usually shit black and full of carbon) and I didn't think that 'box was too bad either.

AP? Heard horrific tales about them :D