Cherokee Xj. The unloved one.

Barry Cade

X reg, that's quite a late one, so you get cup holders, unlike some of us.

How does the 2.5 go? It should do better than the 20mpg I get from the 4.0.
That said, I like the noise from the 6 pot, and it's been reliable since I fixed the initial niggles.

16 MPG so far.... driven home from sellers, up over the A93 Glenshee with a binding front brake. Hopefully it'll do better than this! Doblo is a 2007 1.4 16v, base no frills model but its a likeable thing! 140K, mot'D October and runs great.. clutch is high, as all of these seem to be, but doesn't slip, even up over the devils elbow. Back wiper groans like a bored teenager and the red is a bit faded in places. Did 200 odd miles in it today. a bit revvy on the motorway, but surprisingly fun on the backroads. SV57TDO if anyone wants history.20190718_163829.thumb.jpg.9eeef775172455d9ac1e075510000ca5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've kept beavering away at this thing and seem to be getting somewhere. The judder/stutter/misfire at 2000 rpm was getting to me and I was running out of ideas as to what was going on. Early one morning I was browsing through an American Jeep XJ forum when I found an old thread from some ex Jeep Tech saying 1999/2000 models sometimes had a dodgy wiring loom to the injectors, where the plugs for 3 and 4 were taped up wrongly and were crossed over... Swapped them over and the symptoms got better by about 90%.. Today I cleaned up all the ECU earths, engine and body earths and it seems to be cured. By no means a smooth and torquey engine, but ok in a 30 year old way. MPG has gone up to 27.5 too. I white lettered the Toyo's too.. Not done that since I had a 125 motorbike.. out for a bit of exploring earlier- I have 155 square miles of estate to investigate :)

20190913_192855.jpg

20190913_192842.jpg