Ridiculous caper - mission aborted

dollywobbler

I have been offered a free vehicle, the nature of which I am not yet ready to reveal. Free vehicle collections always go well* I find. There was the Volvo 740 that shat its alternator on the way home, and the Vauxhall Omega that struggled to pass the MOT necessary for it to get me home and on which I successfully(ish) cured a diesel leak with aluminium tape. Other free cars have come and gone over the years, and generally battered my wallet into submission. This caper is naturally full of potential WIN. By which I mean FAIL.

The car in question is near Yalding, has no MOT and hasn't been on the road for two years - though it was a happy driver when parked up. I'm quite prepared to suffer the seven hour train journey to get to Kent, but definitely need suggestions for friendly MOT stations and possibly the loan of tools and space if it turns out problems need eradicating...

Anyone able to assist?

1 minute ago, skattrd said:

Isn't the friendly MOT station your local one as it is being driven to a pre-booked MOT?

All you need to know. 

It’s obviously a good idea to have a recommendation of someone to get you out of the shit if you get there and you can’t fix something; otherwise there’s absolutely no law on how far you can drive to your pre-booked MOT and the fuzz are simply there to enforce the law (NOT interpret it).

@egg will probably know someone to help? 

Bloody hell, DW!

Are you even home yet? Fallen off the wagon before you're even home from an epic road trip. Nice one.

Chodspeed, and all that. I can't really offer much help from the other end of the UK!

I'll get the popcorn on.

31 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Bloody hell, DW!

Are you even home yet? Fallen off the wagon before you're even home from an epic road trip. Nice one.

Chodspeed, and all that. I can't really offer much help from the other end of the UK!

I'll get the popcorn on.

Er, no. Not home yet!

40 minutes ago, skattrd said:

Isn't the friendly MOT station your local one, as it is being driven to a pre-booked MOT?

Well, technically, but it'd be pushing it fairly substantially. It's 255 miles door to door. I think it's more interesting to try and acquire legality anyway, as long as it doesn't fail too badly...

Yalding is a bit far West for me to know anyone useful. 38 miles from me and almost West of the River Medway (there be dragons).

@Vantman may know someone .

Or @Christine at it's nearer to him than me.

I probably could find an off road space for it here in Herne Bay for a bit.

I may even be able to bring tools (such as I have) and moral support to Yalding depending on time and date.

I am not far away if help is needed. I am just on the Kent/East Sussex border. We have some nice MoT people in Uckfield, however, that's probably more eastward than you're prepared to go. Uckfield Motor Services is the name if you're interested.

I can recommend Accelerated Motor Repairs in Edenbridge, about 20 miles from Yalding. Mate of mine works there and they look after a variety of classics in the very broadest sense :)

I’m about the same distance away and could help with the basics, depending on when collection occurs?

I cannot see any benefit in MOTing it in Kent. If it fails, you're fucked.

On the other hand it doesn't matter if it's 2.55 miles 255 or 2550, if you are driving to a pre-booked MOT you are 100% legal to do so without a current MOT in place., if it fails in Devils Bridge it's just a minor annoyance.

I suppose you're a bit like David Beckham when a member of the public filmed him texting in a traffic jam and he lost his licence, something non-celebrities could and often do without any concern. Just think of the headlines if a HubNut fan saw the great man driving a car, checked online and saw it wasn't MOT'd. Even though it might be legal the initial outpouring of moral indignation might lead to multi- million pound sponsorship deals put at risk.

My missus has had a new hip ,and I'm running round in circles,so I can't help but if it's an American or Italian or Aston or Bristol ,I'll leave her to her own devices.....There's a forge  in Yalding I trained in...if you need  a hammer and anvil  ......ask Tim or Phil

Thanks folks. I think an MOT is a good idea. I have some flexibility with time, so if it's a bad fail, then I have the ability to sit tight and either get it sorted out or point it towards the nearest scrapyard. I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea of driving it back and THEN finding a massive fail item. That just looks irresponsible and while I can go over a car myself, a tester has the advantage of a ramp and actual car knowledge. It isn't a European car (clue!), so there is the slight fear that it could fail on a part I simply can't get hold of, but I think I'm willing to take that risk.

Its note pre Dec 78 then, no interstate tax no MOT, no money back no guarantee.

my lad had been looking at Beemers, trying to get my head around what model was what, I gov mot'd checked the odd one I saw locally.  A couple of 15 platers came up with no MOT, expired you see.

i stopped short of saying to one chap, excuse me guv, but thought you might like to know you are out of MOT.  These days it is fifty fifty as to whether you get "really, oh my gosh, how did you know, thank you so much" or "feck off mate, its feck all to do with you, go spot the fekkin trains"

GooD luck

On 8/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, dollywobbler said:

Thanks folks. I think an MOT is a good idea. I have some flexibility with time, so if it's a bad fail, then I have the ability to sit tight and either get it sorted out or point it towards the nearest scrapyard. I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea of driving it back and THEN finding a massive fail item. That just looks irresponsible and while I can go over a car myself, a tester has the advantage of a ramp and actual car knowledge. It isn't a European car (clue!), so there is the slight fear that it could fail on a part I simply can't get hold of, but I think I'm willing to take that risk.

I think you will find PT Cruiser parts are readily available....

On 8/7/2019 at 7:18 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I cannot see any benefit in MOTing it in Kent. If it fails, you're fucked.

On the other hand it doesn't matter if it's 2.55 miles 255 or 2550, if you are driving to a pre-booked MOT you are 100% legal to do so without a current MOT in place., if it fails in Devils Bridge it's just a minor annoyance.

I suppose you're a bit like David Beckham when a member of the public filmed him texting in a traffic jam and he lost his licence, something non-celebrities could and often do without any concern. Just think of the headlines if a HubNut fan saw the great man driving a car, checked online and saw it wasn't MOT'd. Even though it might be legal the initial outpouring of moral indignation might lead to multi- million pound sponsorship deals put at risk.

I'd definately be posting a link to grime shoppers anonymously.  This thing needs to stopped. 

Had a sudden attack of common sense on this one. Well, realised money is tight, the logistics are utter arse and adding yet another project to the fleet might see me enter some sort of mental breakdown...

So, mission aborted. Most unlike me, but nice to know I can actually relate to reason!