lesapandre

Régie Nationale des Usines Renault finest is off on it's French holidays

26 minutes ago, Wack said:

It looks like the french like cars as much if not more than we do some lovely stuff there 

Mrs wack and I are going to normandy for a week or so 30/8-7/9 if you see anything advertised that looks interesting I'd appreciate a heads up or anywhere you've been that you enjoyed.

We're staying in Arromanches les Baines 

Thanks 

I'm now back in London hence the uploads.

My advice is once you get to your destination head into the local newsagent and pick up the weekly local papers - there is usually at least one or two and see what local events are on - any 'jour de fetes' - village festival may have a few or more old cars, equally any agricultural fairs tend to attract old cars and machinery. La Vie de la Auto which comes out weekly also lists all events by Department number. You will be in Calvados - Department 14. Try the local tourist office too.

If you are taking an older vehicle you can be sure you will be approached to chat - people are very friendly and interested I find. I was very off the tourist trails - once people discovered I was English at the small car shows people were asking for advice on the British cars they owned - it was amazing what some people own. I did not realise, for example what a strong following Triumph and Minis have in France.

11 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

I'm now back in London hence the uploads.

My advice is once you get to your destination head into the local newsagent and pick up the weekly local papers - there is usually at least one or two and see what local events are on - any 'jour de fetes' - village festival may have a few or more old cars, equally any agricultural fairs tend to attract old cars and machinery. La Vie de la Auto which comes out weekly also lists all events by Department number. You will be in Calvados - Department 14. Try the local tourist office too.

If you are taking an older vehicle you can be sure you will be approached to chat - people are very friendly and interested I find. I was very off the tourist trails - once people discovered I was English at the small car shows people were asking for advice on the British cars they owned - it was amazing what some people own. I did not realise, for example what a strong following Triumph and Minis have in France.

Thanks for that , did you go anywhere not car related you'd recommend , I'm already getting , this holiday isn't just going to be cars and war is it 

er 

I'm  going in something new but it does attract attention wherever it goes 

IMG_1248.JPG

21 minutes ago, Wack said:

Thanks for that , did you go anywhere not car related you'd recommend , I'm already getting , this holiday isn't just going to be cars and war is it 

er 

IMG_1248.JPG

I spent most of the rest of my time eating out and admiring the scenery and looking round old towns. I usually plot a route on an old-fashioned paper map - the AA ING ones are the clearest - bit like our Ordinance Survey maps - there are so many historic places to see by making a tour. The Green Michelin Guides are very good too. 

Yes I  think the car will get plenty of attention. Mind the local police - speeding and/or drinking is what they are interested in stopping. 

I got pulled over by les flics in the van, they were stopping everything.  Make sure you have all your documents - I don't drink but I had a brief chat with them - it's drink-driving which is still seen as a killer out there.

The death rate on roads out there is about X2 the UK - and politically it is a big deal hence the clamping down. Its a bit boring but expect to get stopped at some point.

6 hours ago, Wack said:

er 

IMG_1248.JPG

Ooof  ,I'll keep an eye out for you. Should be able to see that from my home in southern Normandy 😊

I'll second La Vie en auto. It's online too,  www.lva-auto.fr

Now some rarities...1. Panhard - I'm guessing early 30's. Someone may know better. Absolutely beautiful with amazing detailing and nice patina. Glass division inside between driver and rear cabin. A kind of plaid material on the inside - no idea if original. The coolest of cool cars...the kind of thing driven from Paris to the Riviera for summer.

20190818_125821.jpg

20190818_125810.jpg

20190818_125757.jpg

20190818_125830.jpg

20190818_125838.jpg

A handful. I've a nice 1965 Corvair convertible Mk2, another rarity, to post and there was an Eldorado convertible and a LeBaron as well as a couple of Mustangs I did not snap.  Not much else. 

For those not familiar the Corvair is an air-cooled rear engine 6 - GM's answer to the Beetle which ate into its compact sales. Anyone want to know more - Curbsideclassic has all the gen on its troubled story:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1965-chevrolet-corvair-500-double-or-nothing/

This was a gem in higher performance Monza spec.

20190818_144400.jpg

20190818_144441.jpg

20190818_144431.jpg

20190818_144419.jpg

I really like old French agricultural trailers. A couple I spotted. I own one like these - but not like these - because mine is totally rotten having sat outside in an orchard for years before I got it my hands on it (free). It's going to test my woodworking skills sometime.

20190818_143749.jpg

20190818_110324.jpg

These were a couple of everyday roadside spots. I have seen a few 75's about - all looking pretty grim - they must have sold a few in their time. These now seem to be being driven to destruction. There are a few Patrols about too - this is the only pick-up I have seen. 

20190818_141808.jpg

17 hours ago, lesapandre said:

And a Fiat I'd completely forgotten. I forget the number even now. The day was a bit overwhelming - and I have not even got to the tractors...

20190818_145132.jpg

Is this a 124?

And spot the MZ combo in the background...

20190818_150007_thumb_jpg_c4c81c8f4e5b9a523e0f58aba393f0b9.jpg.4a6f15dadcb1e10ea648cbf1b121d10c.jpg

The combo reminds me of this - was the rider wearing un pot de pis?

iuDV477DHG.jpg.c1a949dc4db082a5464c432767802075.jpg

On 8/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, lesapandre said:

Yes they turn up rarely and all the one's I have seen are off the road. If I see another good one in for sale France I will post - but again many are off the road due to rust.  They do make a good shed too!

Funny you say that,  until a couple of months ago, there was one up the road from me almost buried in a hedge that the house owner clearly used as a shed! Used to be white but turned a subtle shade of rust and algae.