lesapandre

Régie Nationale des Usines Renault finest is off on it's French holidays

I am taking my 1989 Renault Master on a French trip. I'm going to post of our adventures here. So from time to time I'll update. 

It's a petrol long wheelbase - and it looks roughly like this. This is it's second international trip in my hands - France X2 - but a previous owner drove it to the Costa de Sol - so its not unused to a long trip.

It does just over 25mpg - and 60 is about as fast as you want to go. But it has a very tall driving position and superb windscreen so is quite a bit of fun to drive. 

There is a few about still in France but their 'spaceframe' construction makes them very vulnerable to rust. I've got all the workshop manuals - and part of the regular maintenance regime was to wax and grease the underside but I expect few bothered...

Mine is the only one I have seen on the road - but a few turn up on the web for sale - mostly camper or horse box conversations. 

So I'm off to fettle - off a bit later in the week.

Reason for the trip - to drop some furniture and sample my friend Marlene's fine French cooking.

20190806_154502.jpg

20190806_155656.jpg

I had a LWB diesel with the Iveco Sofim engine.  Nice van to drive (if not exactly quick) but the turning circle was appalling - I once managed to get it stuck at the bottom of a narrow cul de sac whilst trying to turn it around.

Wouldn't kick a turbo diesel one out of bed mind, although they're getting thin on the ground now.

Yes they turn up rarely and all the one's I have seen are off the road. If I see another good one in for sale France I will post - but again many are off the road due to rust.  They do make a good shed too!

For those who don't know these....it's fwd with a drivers 'cab' elevated above the load area and mid engine set between and below the front seats . Checking the oil...full. Engine very exposed below body so gets very dusty. 4- cylinder carb fed.

20190806_171939.jpg

20190806_171733.jpg

Recent works been service, a new exhaust, discs and pads and fitting a new quarterlight and a temporary mirror after some mild vandalism. Was graffitied but it came off easily...hope to find a new mirror in France and maybe a better drivers seat. The exhaust was sourced in France last time I was there.

20190806_171615.jpg

20190806_171637.jpg

Haven't seen one of these Master Van's in ages. Great to see there one still on the road.

Until a few years ago, a house near my Dad's had about 5 on the driveway!  I use to admire them everytime we drove past. Sadly one day they just dissapeared. 

All the best with your trip to France and the part's hunt.

Open wide and say ...franglais.

Loading underway. This is 3.5 tonne with low load area. Most of what you can see is timber offcuts I got free - use them to start stove in the winter...cardboad in windows is to keep prying eyes at bay. Comes off when I leave and I won't need to load above eyeline from drivers seat -so rear visibility not bad.

20190807_094643.jpg

Yes...its quite a piece of design. This is the second one I have had. The other was identical and the previous owner used it as a camper. I sold it 4 years ago to a guy who said he was going to restore it. I regret that as it had a better engine than this one which is on 140,000. Hey ho.

Battery on...its been on the trickle charger. Newish and big in case of trouble. I did not get it from the RAC - our local geezer seemed to be able to get these new at one time.

20190807_101502.jpg

The stricter Controle Technique will be driving these off the road possibly. They are more strict on corrosion now. Lots for sale in France without this CT because of that. Its really the last of that era of mildly eccentric but rational French designs.  Note mid-mounted fuel tank and sandwich construction of floor. It is an absolute tour de force.

1565170998750728791357.jpg

1 hour ago, stephen01 said:

I'm just shocked this does 25MPG! 

good luck with your French trip, I'll keep my eyes out for you..

I keep it to about 50mph - it's got a 5-speed gbox....and I'm on the Autoroute - thats the best.. if you go faster it does drink more. It does about that full...and empty.

7 minutes ago, barrett said:

Did you know LBC now has a 'utilitaires' section? Spent a good 15 mins looking at Masters, then Trafics and finally found this, which is what I really want. Hurrumph
https://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/1635548043.htm/?fbclid=IwAR1vSQ6M0Gfw-H_BRRbKId34a08IzjYWHJSbrFYgDbCa80ApMeUQfjRY1VE

Yes I have the LBC App on my tablet. 

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

I keep it to about 50mph - it's got a 5-speed gbox....and I'm on the Autoroute - thats the best.. if you go faster it does drink more. It does about that full...and empty.

lol, my old van was the same, full or empty did the same also seemed to be as fast to 60 regardless of how much weight was in the back. 

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Did you know LBC now has a 'utilitaires' section? Spent a good 15 mins looking at Masters, then Trafics and finally found this, which is what I really want. Hurrumph
https://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/1635548043.htm/?fbclid=IwAR1vSQ6M0Gfw-H_BRRbKId34a08IzjYWHJSbrFYgDbCa80ApMeUQfjRY1VE

If I had an Estafette it'd have to be an early one with the 845cc engine and 3-speed 'box for proper '60s French motoring misery.

Weren't these also badged as Vauxhall Asconas for a period?

Secondly re graffiti it is a peculiar thing that I seem to see a lot of whilst driving round South London - There were a lot round Elephant and Castle....a yellow transit graffiti'd to the hills and an old Sprinter. Dont know why they feel the need to do that because it can be a huge pain in the ass to remove if even possible in the first place. 

Hope the journey is pleasant and trouble free. Know your not down this way but 33 degrees down here in Southern Spain

2 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

Weren't these also badged as Vauxhall Asconas for a period?

Secondly re graffiti it is a peculiar thing that I seem to see a lot of whilst driving round South London - There were a lot round Elephant and Castle....a yellow transit graffiti'd to the hills and an old Sprinter. Dont know why they feel the need to do that because it can be a huge pain in the ass to remove if even possible in the first place. 

Hope the journey is pleasant and trouble free. Know your not down this way but 33 degrees down here in Southern Spain

Graffiti was someone passing through our 'hood - my neighbour saw them do it...but...it came off easily with some graffitti remover I got in Toolstation. A quick wipe down with Lidl kitchen cleaner and you'd never know. Also got off felt tip so at least I look respectable going away  -  as respectable as I am able - (the Customs search resulted in a look of sheer pity at the van and especially the misc contents...he he)

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Yep, the Master wasn't sold under any other brand (although the Citroën C35 bore a passing resemblance, but I don't think they were related).

RWD versions of the Master were based on Iveco Daily running gear.

C35 was a joint venture with Fiat I think...