Citroen video

ETCHY

6 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

If I tried cornering in mt citroen like that 2CV Id be on my roof.

It's just crackers isn't it ! I couldn't believe those roll angles, I knew they leant over but bloody hell :shock:

I like the safety bit showing a Dyane being crashed into... I like those old Citroens a lot but I'm not sure i'd fancy a smack in one !

Got to say though when you consider the age of those cars the ability to handle bad roads & ride that well, is still damned impressive.

What a great video, and a testament to Citroen's design philosophy at the time.    The footage of the GS's front wheel doing its job over rough roads is wonderful and should make any current chassis engineer weep.  Can you imagine any modern car keeping level in the same circumstances?

In fact it's made me want to go out and buy a GS.

1 hour ago, carlo said:

What a great video, and a testament to Citroen's design philosophy at the time.    The footage of the GS's front wheel doing its job over rough roads is wonderful and should make any current chassis engineer weep.  Can you imagine any modern car keeping level in the same circumstances?

In fact it's made me want to go out and buy a GS.

I know, when you look at them coping with those roads it does make you realise that somehow suspension design & ability to iron out bumps hasn't come that far.

2 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

I know, when you look at them coping with those roads it does make you realise that somehow suspension design & ability to iron out bumps hasn't come that far.

If anything it's gone backwards, cancelled out by the "demand" for ever-harder, lower ride heights, bigger wheels and lower-profile tyres. What's the point of all that if you're just going to ruin your lower back?

52 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

If anything it's gone backwards, cancelled out by the "demand" for ever-harder, lower ride heights, bigger wheels and lower-profile tyres. What's the point of all that if you're just going to ruin your lower back?

100% agree. I don't quite get all this low profile tyre nonsense. I don't drive on race tracks, I drive on roads, those roads are strewn with potholes humps & god knows what, so ideally I just want a decent amount of tyre to help absorb that & hopefully not knacker a rim. I also value ride comfort over lateral g !

Without a doubt suspension design has gone backwards, no longer driven by engineers but my marketing men who demand the best Nurburgring lap time your 1,6 diseasel sprog carrier can manage.

I  remember the day over 20 years ago when I brought my X reg CX back from the local Citroen fettler after having its balls blown up, aiming for the biggest potholes and ruts I could find and laughing out loud when they caused nothing more than a muffled thud from the undercarriage.

People nowadays are scared of body roll.