More period old car photos

trigger

Cool site - found these

GM00248-01.jpg

GM00248-02.jpg

JLT420 is a really famous Beetle, imported before VW officially started in '53 by Colbournes, and it was the very first of a batch re-sprayed in jaunty colours and with extra chrome etc not seen on the otherwise austere VW. They were the first Beetles in the UK other than any brought back privately, at a time when it was still seen as "Hitler's car". 427 must have been in the same batch.

Arbor Acres, Sex Link, sounds like some sort of 1970s holiday resort. Am not sure why they'd need a box-bodied Transit though. There's probably material for a Carry On film sketch there, maybe even a whole film.

KEkKHNW.jpg

Sadly, Arbor Acres is actually a long-established poultry business.

CSc00588.jpg 

I don't know what it is but Renault 9s really do it for me. 

I do remember going to look at one in the mid 80s at the garage behind my old mans office.  He was thinking of getting one for my mum. Not sure of the model but it was flat nosed and had corduroy seats IIRC. It might even have had a rear armrest but I think my imagination might be getting away with me there. 

Anyhow, other than that some weird kid who worked at Sainsbury's called Miquel had one which I don't think I ever even sat in so my actual experience of them is pretty much nil but everytime I see one I just really REALLY want it.

Can't explain it.

Just looked the garage up and it's still there. Well, it's still standing. It appears to be a pay and display car park now unless it's been demolished for flats since the photo was taken but that was just apparently March 2019 so I doubt it.

RenaultGarage.thumb.JPG.2eed3302b6a03cc2bcd3782970ecfac3.JPG

I think those commercial vehicle shots at Sparshatts are from their old workshop in Havant (unless there’s another Sparshatts commercial vehicle builder!?). I used to work there building trucks after I left school. They did everything from flatbeds to box trucks and one offs, we even built some road - railer type things for network rail. Most of my job was fitting the tail lifts and wiring them up on John Lewis box trucks (mostly DAF’s) but also did a lot of the fibreglass roofs and made the side skirt frames.

The place is long gone now, demolished and rebuilt for small industrial/retail units like screwfix etc. I didn’t like working there tbh, the owner was a complete cunt and safety at the place was absolutely horrendous. Still, good to see the pics from years ago.

Wow, what a treasure trove. Thanks for sharing, Trigger. 

That little HA van only lived to eight years old - sums up how disposable cars and vans of the time really were. That's like an 11 plate Combo being worn out by now. 

Good to see this Anglia survived, and is still on the road. 

CSc00480.jpg

22 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Wow, what a treasure trove. Thanks for sharing, Trigger. 

That little HA van only lived to eight years old - sums up how disposable cars and vans of the time really were. That's like an 11 plate Combo being worn out by now. 

Good to see this Anglia survived, and is still on the road. 

CSc00480.jpg

Lots of 11 plate Combos are worn out.

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Sorry, but my pedantism won't let me let it go. That Mk1 Granny is a GXL not a Ghia.

the S reg Mk 2 Transit is the earliest I remember seeing and it's interesting how dated the S reg Mk1s, Commers and HA look in comparison , almost like 1980's scenes compared to 1960's.

There's a Carlton police car up there also listed as a Cavalier too so that's not right,. the Tranny caught my eye as looking really modern.

Image HuM0655

Image HuM1306

Image HuM1321

Image HuM1340

Image HuM1346

Image HuM1342

Image HuN1212

Image HuN1231

Image HuQ0337

Image HuQ0402

Image HuQ0503

Image HuU0315