Dan302's new car

Dan302

Ordered a used front fog light from eBay to replace the smashed one, I was the winning (only) bidder and got it for just over £10 including postage.

The tyres are pretty shitty, plenty of tread but budget tyres the are fairly aged with quite a bit of cracking and crazing appearing. They do not exactly inspire confidence in this weather so I've ordered a pair of part worn Uniroyal Rainexpert 3s with loads of tread, no damage/repairs date coded 2218. They will be going on the front and hopefully next payday I'll get another pair of something half decent for the rears.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought an oil filter, plugs and a fuel filter (it's a petrol) for the focus. May get a garage to do the lot basically because I can't be arsed crawling under the car faffing with the fuel filter so may as well get a garage to do the lot at the same time......I'm quite lazy too.

Also I've been reading a lot of horror stories about how much MK1 Focii like to rust so I pulled back the boot trim to check where the boot floor meets the arch. 'Looks' spot on although I didn't give it a poke. I also lifted the rear seat base to check around there and where the belts mount, again seems fine from the inside. Really I need the stupid arch liners off to check underneath but don't have a jack.

Buy a Ford jack from the scrap yard and some axle stands. Jack it up, support it and remove the wheel/arch liners to check for rust and whilst it's in the air you can change the fuel filter ? I can change the oil on my Focus (using an oil catch can thing) without even jacking the car up. There's just enough room to undo the sump plug. The oil filter is very easily accessible too. Once you've done all this you might as well do the plugs too ?

2 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Buy a Ford jack from the scrap yard and some axle stands. Jack it up, support it and remove the wheel/arch liners to check for rust and whilst it's in the air you can change the fuel filter ? I can change the oil on my Focus (using an oil catch can thing) without even jacking the car up. There's just enough room to undo the sump plug. The oil filter is very easily accessible too. Once you've done all this you might as well do the plugs too ?

I did the oil and filter on it last time with my ramps I just hate doing fuel filters!

2 hours ago, mrbenn said:

I hate doing the fuel filter on these, on the ground anyway. Very much a job for a garage.

I've removed and refitted the liners on mine without taking the wheel off. Think I jacked it up a bit but there is enough room to get to the fixings.

They look a pain to do! I'd rather just l get a garage to change it.

I just wanted the wheels off to get a better look really so I can see the inside of the arch etc.

15 hours ago, mrbenn said:

I hate doing the fuel filter on these, on the ground anyway. Very much a job for a garage.

I've removed and refitted the liners on mine without taking the wheel off. Think I jacked it up a bit but there is enough room to get to the fixings.

Nah piece of piss on those, cut the old jubilee clip off, unclip the fuel pipes, put new clip on filter, make sure it runs right way pipes back on then re prime fuel system by on/off ign 4-5 times. 

Try doing the diesel ones where you’ve to forgot to fill the filter beforehand.

8 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Nah piece of piss on those, cut the old jubilee clip off, unclip the fuel pipes, put new clip on filter, make sure it runs right way pipes back on then re prime fuel system by on/off ign 4-5 times.

Eh? No jubilee clip on these, unless someone has been there before and struggled with the clamp bolt (I've seen two that were rounded off), which is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of this job. Bracket should look like the one linked below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264442956682

Fuel pipes can be brittle with age and have to be released carefully which is not an easy job on the ground in my experience. On one I did the fuel pipe connection broke and wouldn't reattach to the fuel filter so a new length of pipe was needed.

Very unlikely it would still be running on the original fuel filter - most garages will replace the original clip with something improvised or a jubilee clip. They do get neglected though and frequently along with the in pump filter, bring about the demise of the fuel pump. Never had the fuel unions break though unless someone had been at them with pliers before?