Dan302's new car

Dan302

Although mine is leaking into the vent area I think my sealing job was good and the water is getting into the cavity from higher up (I assume behind the lights) I've bought a sheet of neoprene to try to fashion some small gaskets as sealing the light unit down would mean I couldn't get the light off again to fit bulbs

IMG_20191027_133528.jpg

I'm now not even convinced the light is letting the water in as that would would leak straight into the boot not into the area near the vent, the vent itself seems fine (it's shouldn't be the amount of tiger seal it received, I'm now wondering if it's the seam itself in there which will be a PITA to clean up and seal from the inside (and I'm not sure I can be arsed to drop the bumper again to try from the outside) :(

when mine leaked ( and it did !! )   I redid all the hatch rubber ,  off , cleaned , put back and sealed the rubber  to the bodywork

the light clusters , taken off , cleaned , resealed

sealed the back bumper to the body were it is under the hatch .it stops the water running down to the seams below , leave the middle open for drainage

sealed  up some holes around the wheel arch near the back of the rear seat .

and just in case ,  cut a hole in the rubber bung at the bottom of the wheel well .

and did the same to my wifes C1 ......

dont use silicon , it creeps off  , use some of that sealer stuff for house windows, gutters  etc

58 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

I'll give that video a watch thanks :)

I'll look at sealing the bumper, do you have any photos so I can see how you did it? I've got some tiger seal I've heard good things about it.

Not something I've done, I'm afraid. Looks like the chap on the vid sealed along the join from bumper to bodywork, and seemed to be paying attention to a bodywork seam that had presumably been leaking. Can't hurt to run a bead of the tiger seal in that area if you're still having issues ?

7 hours ago, mrbenn said:

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQeDeMtWTU

I don't speak Spanish so can't follow it fully, but the idea of sealing between the bumper and bodywork is an interesting one.

I think that's what MikeR is describing above, I'll give that a go as it looks an easy fix so even if it doesn't work I've not lost anything.

7 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

My MK1 Focus does it... I've drilled a hole in the lower bung of the wheel well because I'm lazy and it's now sorn. I've put a damp trap in there too. I will investigate further next year.

Funnily enough the 2014 Audi A4 I bought 2 weeks ago is doing the same thing ?

I'm trying to resist drilling the bung but it may happen if I don't fix it! My MK4 Golf used to leak into the boot and it was the seals around the boot vents which is why I fixed them first on the Focus......but no joy.

I'm going to seal the bumper as suggested above and see if that improves things.

I took the opportunity of some dry weather today and removed the bumper of my Focus to get some sealant behind.

I did a few seams, put some behind the tailgate rubber seal and also sealed the bumper to the body as discussed above. Also did the vents on each side but I don't think they're the problem tbh.

Now need some rain to see if there is any improvement, or whether I need to look elsewhere.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

7 hours ago, mrbenn said:

I took the opportunity of some dry weather today and removed the bumper of my Focus to get some sealant behind.

I did a few seams, put some behind the tailgate rubber seal and also sealed the bumper to the body as discussed above. Also did the vents on each side but I don't think they're the problem tbh.

Now need some rain to see if there is any improvement, or whether I need to look elsewhere.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

Good work mrbenn! I wish I'd done the various seams while I had the bumper off sealing the vents, I'm not sure I can be arsed dropping the bumper again, please let me know how you get on with it when it rains.

4 hours ago, Dan302 said:

Good work mrbenn! I wish I'd done the various seams while I had the bumper off sealing the vents, I'm not sure I can be arsed dropping the bumper again, please let me know how you get on with it when it rains.

Thanks Dan. Bit of light rain overnight. All dry so far but think we probably need something heavier/prolonged. Sure we won't have to wait long...