Dan302's new car

Dan302

3 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I've had a quick look online, rear bushes for your Focus seem to be between £15-20 each at Euro Car Parts. Not sure what the book time is but can't see it being much more than a couple of hours labour to change them. 

Yeah I don't think it will be much :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's not quite enough access from inside so the bumper has so come off. As I couldn't get to the screws that held the mudflaps and bumper to the wheel arch liners I couldn't remove it completely but dropped it down enough for good access. I broke most of the little plastic screw clips so have some more on order from eBay.

IMG_20191005_141445.jpg

I put a bead of tiger seal on the panel and a bead on the plastic vent and clipped them into place, I then ran another bead over the top with I smoothed with my finger (in gloves) I then left it to cure a bit before fixing the bumper back into place. I will replace the plastic clips when the new ones arrive but it's held firm by the bolts anyway.

IMG_20191005_145450.jpg

IMG_20191005_145459.jpg

IMG_20191005_171531.jpg

11 hours ago, Dan302 said:

Also why did for think some sort of fabric would be the best material for the arch liners? 

I've asked that very question myself. My Focus has had welding on both sides due to these rubbing and holding water.

One suggestion was that they are made from some sort of recyclable/recycled material so contribute towards some sort of eco score.

Good work on the water leak!

35 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

I've asked that very question myself. My Focus has had welding on both sides due to these rubbing and holding water.

One suggestion was that they are made from some sort of recyclable/recycled material so contribute towards some sort of eco score.

Good work on the water leak!

I haven't dared look underneath mine! 

I'm hoping the leak is sorted now, I'll have a look tomorrow, all the rain today should give it a good test. If all is good I will pop the boot trim back in.

1 hour ago, mrbenn said:

Ooh taa I'll take a look :) I've got a boot leak on my little boys mums Jazz to sort too, thank goodness I waited until the weather is terrible to get round to it ?

There was a large build up of crud and debris around the rear hatch and light area which I've cleaned out, probably not directly causing the leak but rain water being able to flow away faster surely can't hurt. If the weather is dry enough on my next set of rest days I will whip the lights off and see what I can find to seal up.

Whipped the back light off on the leaky side, there's a seam with what looks like hairline cracks in the sealer but I can't imagine much water getting through, I ran a bead of tiger seal on it anyway as well as a bead on the wiring grommet. I'll wait for it to bucket down again and see if it's fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

Any progress with the leak?

I keep thinking I ought to lift the boot carpet in mine to see if there is any water ingress. Perhaps today will be the day.

Don't do it, it's upsetting! It's still leaking I've bought a little sheet of neoprene to try and make some sort of gasket/seal for the light unit (can't use tiger seal as the lights come off to change the bulb)

Nuts!! Jinxed myself up something rotten with my earlier comment.

24 hours of heavy rain plus a rather wet run out has resulted in a damp boot. Looks like the vent thingies. I've had the bumper off before so shouldn't be a massive issue to remove again (apart from the fact I installed parking sensors last time....) but need to get some suitable sealant first.

How is yours looking with all this rain @Dan302?

leak 1.jpg

leak 2.jpg